Hi, I need your help on deciding whether to take this transaction on and how

CirAlex
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, a person over the internet and I have agreed on a deal. He wants to sell me his Graphics Card (computer part).

He is from the US and I am from SouthEastern Europe.

Now, I am willing to send him the money before the product arrives, ofcourse, but my question is how am I protected against fraud? I kind of trust the guy but I want to be a 100% sure about my money. 

Now if I pay him, and for some reason the product doesn't arrive or he sends me a product which does not work or it is not as described, can I get my money back?

These sorts of deals are always shady and I am just wondering if I am protected against fraud if I choose to complete private online transactions via PayPal. Also, I told him to send me an invoice, is that the best option that I have or is there something better we can do?

Do you guys have any tips for me maybe?

Appreciate all of the answers, thanks in advance.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

If you don't receive product (tracking does  not show delivery), then you can get a refund through PayPal.  That's about it.

You can't recall payments you initiate.

You need to do your own research and thoroughly investigate the buyer BEFORE you make a purchase.

Click on the "legal agreement" at the bottom of the page.  Take some time and read and understand all of PayPal polciies.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Basically, you are not protected against fraud.  You need to take the initiate and avoid any deals which have the appearance of fraud.  You need to protect your own interest; PayPal will not do that for you.

PayPal will protect you as the seller for a non-delivered product; that is all, in practice.  That means the seller can send you "something" with tracking and you will be stuck with it.

PayPal does not verify the condition of any item before shipping nor after delivery.  You are on your own.

Of course you can dispute for an item significantly not as described, but PayPal has no way of verifying your claim.  Even if you win, you will need to pay for return shipping with tracking.  Even then, the seller can appeal that process. 

Computer parts and electronics are at extreme risk of fraud by both buyers and sellers.

Make sure you really know the seller and you trust the seller; PayPall will not do that for you.

Login to Me Too

CirAlex
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply. 

If I don't recieve any product at all though and just get my money taken without the other party sending anything to me can something be done in that case? Or is it just a no go in any case and I have to rely on the other party not to scam me. Can I pull back personal payments is what I'm asking, and if I can, does he have a way to get the money away from his PayPal so the money I'd like to refund isn't there or is there some safety period for which he can't withdraw the money?

Login to Me Too
Solved

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

If you don't receive product (tracking does  not show delivery), then you can get a refund through PayPal.  That's about it.

You can't recall payments you initiate.

You need to do your own research and thoroughly investigate the buyer BEFORE you make a purchase.

Click on the "legal agreement" at the bottom of the page.  Take some time and read and understand all of PayPal polciies.

Login to Me Too

CirAlex
Contributor
Contributor

ah, I see, so the shipment has to have tracking. Alright, thanks for all the help and sorry for these dumb questions, they probably get asked around here a lot but I couldn't find any that resemble my situation enough.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.