Help! "Full Refund" Sure! Not When Return Shipping is Considered!

Grampy
Contributor
Contributor

I need help. 

Pay Pal has closed my dispute since the merchant (Modlily) has offered me a so-called "full refund" for the item they sold me (~$28) that was falsley advertised. 

But!  They are requiring me to pay to ship it back to China at my expense, before they issue the refund.  They informed me that I am "responsible for shipping and handling costs".  That shipping will cost me >$60!

Modlily refuses to pay for return shipping even though they know the item was not as advertised!  I suspect they know that most people will just drop the whole thing and accept the faulty goods.

Can this dispute be re-opened?  Am I stuck?

Thanks. 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

William9
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

That is the standard way things go with PayPal, you'll have to ship the item back to get refund.

If you had bought from eBay and disputed through them then seller would have been required to ship the item back but with PayPal this is how things go most of the time when 'item not as described case" is won.

If you paid via credit card, there is the chargeback option.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
20 REPLIES 20
Solved

William9
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

That is the standard way things go with PayPal, you'll have to ship the item back to get refund.

If you had bought from eBay and disputed through them then seller would have been required to ship the item back but with PayPal this is how things go most of the time when 'item not as described case" is won.

If you paid via credit card, there is the chargeback option.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

you case is still open,it would show waiting for buyer to return the item.

Once tracking show it has been delivered to the seller,then the payment will be refunded.

If it is Ebay and seller is at fault-item not as described,seller is to pay for return shipping by sending you a shipping label ,but with overseas seller,EBAY expects them to refund you the return shipping or send you $$ to pay for return shipping but I dont think EBAY enforces it.

You can call Ebay and ask.

Good chance it is up to your seller,lesson for buying overseas. 

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

One Ebay seller has an interesting theory on why seller should not pay for return shipping-

if you want to return an item (fault or no fault),you drive to the store and return it,store is not coming to you to pick up the return so why should seller pick up the return shipping expense?

but this would be against ebay rule. 

Login to Me Too

Grampy
Contributor
Contributor

Payment of return shipping by the merchant, when there is a problem with the goods, is standard practice these days in online sales.  No reputable seller, e.g. Amazon, Zappos, etc., would fail to pay the return.  Modlily is simply a scam.

Login to Me Too

Grampy
Contributor
Contributor

Regrettably, I did not purchase this through eBay or with a cc.  I am resigned to just "eating" the loss.

Login to Me Too

ndeichman

I've had horrible problems with Modlily not sending what I ordered.  They want me to ship the product back to China which would cost more than the product costs.  Now PayPal has only offered $8.00 to settle the dispute.  My product costs almost $25.00.  I thought PayPal was supposed to protect its customers from scam companies like this.  Modlility is a rip-off.  Why does PayPal even do business with them?

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

what did you do?

if you open a case of item not as described and win,you will be asked to return the item with online viewable delivery confirmation showing it has been delivered to the seller,then you will get your original payment back.

you cannot keep the item and your money.

Paypal does not decide how much to refund,did the seller offer you $8.

Paypal cannot protect anyone with bad judgement,you are a BIG BOY,you decide to do business with someone in cyberspace,dont blame others.there is no cybernanny for grownups!

Login to Me Too

greyspot
New Community Member
Excuse me? The seller **bleep** up my order and refusing to answer calls and emails is not bad judgement on my part. Tell you what, next time someone sends you the wrong item, accidentally or not, just remember to be a BIG BOY and suck up the loss because heaven forbit PayPal back you up. For my situation, the return shipping I'M supposed to pay (why am I paying for their mistake again?) is more than the cost of the item.

Way to blame the unsuspecting consumer.
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@greyspot wrote:
Excuse me? The seller **bleep** up my order and refusing to answer calls and emails is not bad judgement on my part. Tell you what, next time someone sends you the wrong item, accidentally or not, just remember to be a BIG BOY and suck up the loss because heaven forbit PayPal back you up. For my situation, the return shipping I'M supposed to pay (why am I paying for their mistake again?) is more than the cost of the item.

Way to blame the unsuspecting consumer.

yOU MAY WANT TO TAKE A COURSE ON payment  PROCESSING,A PAYMENT PROCESSOR CANNOT REFUND MORE THAN IT TAKES,YOU PAID THE SELLER X DOLLARS,Paypal rules in your favor and took x dollars from the seller and give it back to you,it cannot take more.

even if you take the seller to small claims court and win,the court is not responsible to collect the money for you,you have to find a way to get that money so in this case,Paypal is better than small claims court,the minute you file dispute,Paypal withheld the money from him and when you win,it gives you back the full amount.

if you want more,

either slap a lien on his house,or if he has a store,hire a sheriff to seize some goods and aution them off ,all these would cost you money.  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.