Hacked teamviewer - Fraudulent PP Transactions

mdmitchell2
New Community Member

So here's some background.  I have teamviewer installed and unattended access setup on my home desktop so I can remotely access it anytime I need to. 

Last week, on the 16th, I started receiving a bunch of push notifications from paypal while I was at work.  There were a bunch of transactions being made that I wasn't making.  I immediately got on paypal and tried to change my address and couldn't..... I then tried to remove my payment sources but I couldn't becuase there were pending transactions FROM the fraudulent charges....  I then think well I better check my home PC just in case.  BAM

I log in and there is another teamviewer session open to my computer and he is just racking up paypal transactions.  He keeps locking my controls so I can't do anything and finally I get on and lock HIM out and shut the computer down. The best I can figure is he got my password then logged into teamviewer and connected to my computer which was setup with unattended access.....  As soon as I shut the PC down, all the transactions stopped and  I immediately call paypal and report them as fraudulent. 

I get an email last night that says the case is closed and they found NO fraudulent activity on my account.  I'm just completely mind blown at this point.  The best I could figure is they saw the source IP and recognized it as the one I had made purchases from before and just assumed they were safe.....  So I called paypal this morning and told them what happened and she claims the case was closed in "error" and that she definitely sees them as fraudulent and would reopen the case.... At this point, all I could think was yeah right.... so here I sit a few hours removed from that call and I have received no information that the case was reopened and when I check my account it still says closed???

One thing worth noting was there were 10 total transactions.  4 of which were large sums of money being sent to a private party were the ones they closed on. I can't tell if they were sent as "friends and family" but I can only assume.... Can paypal not do anything to help me on these type of transactions???? 

The other 6 transactions were to some kind of merchant and they are still open and being reviewed.

I'm at a loss... I feel like paypal is going to just reference that IP and keep closing it and not believe my side of the story. 

What can I do????????  In a fit of panic, I uninstalled teamviewer from my machine, hints losing my log files showing that someone else was on my account doing this. 

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

betobahiano
Contributor
Contributor

It happened to me also last week. When I woke up in the morning I checked my emails from my ipad and I saw some purchases that they weren't done by me. Someone was able to hack teamviewer and use my paypal account. I had to file a complaint with IC3 (Internet Crime Complaint Center) because paypal asked me to do it and I am still waiting for them to reply to me.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Michael

Hello mdmitchell2 and betobahiano,

My name is Michael, and I'm very sorry to hear there was a problem with possible unauthorized transactions and, even worse, a problem reporting them. I hope I can be of further assistance.

@mdmitchell2 - I will take a look at the situation you reported and provide an update via email. You should receive the message within the next 24 hours, but I can't guarantee that time frame.

@betobahiano - When you contacted PayPal Customer Service, was there any mention of submitting a report through the Resolution Center? You can report a problem with a transaction by logging on to your PayPal account and clicking Resolve A Problem In Our Resolution Center (left side near the bottom of the first page that loads when you log on) or you can click on a specific transaction in your Activity to display the full details and then click Report A Problem. I would also be happy to take a closer look at your situation, but I would need you to submit a report through the Resolution Center or let me know the date and amount of the transactions that you want reviewed.

Please accept my apologies for any frustration or confusion this situation has caused. Thank you very much for your continued patience while things are reviewed further.

Sincerely,

Michael

PayPal_Michael

Login to Me Too

victortan001
Contributor
Contributor

I am also affected by this today.

3 unauthorized transactions were made.

2 to buy gift cards and 1 sending money.

The paypal email address that money was sent to is

<removed>

I have called Paypal limitation 3 times and have been unsuccessful in all 3 times.

I am very upset and hope this can be resolved.

Login to Me Too

betobahiano
Contributor
Contributor

Michael, I contacted paypal over the phone, but I just did through the resolution center. Please let me know if you need anything else. This happened last week on May 23 and 24. Thank you!

Login to Me Too

xc_biker
New Community Member

I feel for you guys. The same thing happened to me a week ago. I awoke in the middle of the night to hear my phone buzzing from notifications of multiple unauthorized transactions. After several minutes of confusion I was able to piece together what was happening and shutdown TeamViewer.

I notified PayPal immediately but I quickly received an email stating "no fraudulent activity was found".  I tried escalating the matter via emails and phone calls but I've gotten no meaningful feedback.  I haven't gotten a single email response.  Calls to customer service are pointless, they expertly dodge questions and quickly try to end the call.  I've been told a few times to expect a response in 24 to 48 hours but I've heard nothing.  All around terrible customer service.  My guess is PayPal is hoping that if they ignore cases like these, they'll simply go away.

Login to Me Too

Will333
Contributor
Contributor

Similar situation here. Been arguing with the sellers and paypal for at least a week. I barely found out today that my PC WAS hacked through teamviewer. Finally one of the people from the fraud dept. told me that transactions were done from my work PC. So then I thought of teamviewer which I use to access my office computer. I did check out the logs and found that someone with an IP address from California had accessed on May 27 about 6am. I had already filed a claim and they denied it due to my IP Address BUT now I have the explanation and log files to prove it. I did appeal the claim and explained what happened. I have yet to receive a reply from the claims. I will contact them again and hopefully someone from Paypal will see this and help. I am out over $400 and very upset!

Login to Me Too

saturn2187
New Community Member

This exact thing happened to me several weeks ago. I reported the incident to PayPal and my claims were denied because it was the same IP.  The hacker used four transactions totalling $160.

I subsequently contacted my bank in an attempt to do a charge back, but the bank determined the charges were "authorized".

I uninstalled Team Viewer so hopefully I didn't harm myself by doing that and deleting logs.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Leslie

Dear mdmitchell2, saturn2187, Will333, xc_biker,  betobahiano, victortan001,

If any of you still have questions about your accounts or any recent transactions please reach out to us through one of our customer service channels. You can call or email us by clicking the "Contact" link at the bottom of your PayPal page. We are also available on Facebook at www.facebook.com/paypal or on Twitter at @AskPayPal.

Thanks!

-Leslie

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.