HELP ME!!!!!!

jza80_teq
Contributor
Contributor
Ok this may sound stupid but here we go. I was selling my car and I got a text from someone. We talked about the condition of the car and stuff. They then asked me if I had a Paypal and I didn't so I made one. Then I send them the information. After that they were like, "Notify me when you get the transaction". I didn't get anything and they said check my spam folder and it was there. I then opened it and it said they sent $1799. The thing was my car was $1200. Underneath it, it said something about a pick up and delivery fee for $499 and a moneygram fee for $100. The thing said I had to go to a mpneygram place and send $499 to this person. To me that is jist weird. I spend money so sell something. I went to two moneygram places and they both said this is a scam. They both said why do I have to pay a courier fee if I'm selling the car. So yeah, their money is out of the account floating somewhere and I'm getting emails that say things about the FBI and how I can be arrested and put in jail. I emailed paypal and they said the money cannot be refunded until "I PAY". This is very confusing and I am not sure what to do. If anyone can help me, please do. I'm just trying to sell a car then it gets all complicated. So any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

WARNING!

THIS IS A SCAM!

DO NOT PAY!

If you pay you will loose all your money!

Before you do anything with PayPal, make sure you read and understand PayPal terms of use and protection for buyers and sellers.  You MUST follow all PayPal rules.

Here is some information.

Seller protection does not provide protection for:

• Claims, chargebacks, or reversals for significantly not as described.
  • Intangible purchases (for example: services, online games, hotels).
  • Items that you deliver in person.
  • Transactions made through PayPal Direct Payment or Virtual Terminal

The only safe way for you to accept payment for in-person pickup is cash, especially for motor vehicles!  Never PayPal.

If you must respond to the scam, just state emphatically that you will only accept cash payment. 

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

WARNING!

THIS IS A SCAM!

DO NOT PAY!

If you pay you will loose all your money!

Before you do anything with PayPal, make sure you read and understand PayPal terms of use and protection for buyers and sellers.  You MUST follow all PayPal rules.

Here is some information.

Seller protection does not provide protection for:

• Claims, chargebacks, or reversals for significantly not as described.
  • Intangible purchases (for example: services, online games, hotels).
  • Items that you deliver in person.
  • Transactions made through PayPal Direct Payment or Virtual Terminal

The only safe way for you to accept payment for in-person pickup is cash, especially for motor vehicles!  Never PayPal.

If you must respond to the scam, just state emphatically that you will only accept cash payment. 

Login to Me Too

jza80_teq
Contributor
Contributor

So what about the money they sent. I don't have it and they don't have it. It is $1799 just floating around. What will happen to that?

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

As long as it is not in your PayPal account, it's not really sent.  So, so nothing.

Why do you think they sent money?

That fact that a scammer says they sent money doesn't mean they did.  Actually, they would not because it would be too high a risk.  If a scammer really sent you money, it would be a gift as there would be no guarantee that you would do anything.  It's illogical.

It's time to start thinking logically and rationally about your financial situation, don't be swayed by scammers.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.