Geekbuying is a scammer! No action from Paypal!

keryo
Contributor
Contributor

I bought a smartphone on Dec. 25th. Two weeks after complaining no shipping has been confirmed, they finally sent me a tracking number but never registered on Singapore Post. One week later they sent me new tracking number...for a product sent to India (I live in Europe). They recognized a mistake but ask me to wait for the product to come back to them from India and then they will refund me!!!! 

I complained to Paypal, they quickly received a tracking number from Geekbuying...the same they sent me the first time which still doesn't appear on Singapore Post and which, they told me later, was not good!!!!! I wrote Paypal to explain. No answer from them.

Conclusion: Geekbuying are scammers (I have read many similar stories), Paypal allows them to use their payment system, customers think they are safe with Paypal but they don't take any relevant action when something wrong happen. This is not the Paypal I used to know but it is still time to correct.

Login to Me Too
23 REPLIES 23

keryo
Contributor
Contributor

Crooks will always exist but if reputated companies like Paypal stop collaborate with them, their business will not flourish. I selected that seller only because I could pay with Paypal and their payment protection. I wouldn't have bought otherwise.

Chinese sellers are not all the same. I have been buying to several of them through AliExpress or directlywithout any trouble...and I buy a lot! This is the first time I have had such a problem with a chinese seller.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@keryo

Paypal does not collaborate with them, any sellers that get a certain amount of chargebacks / disputes against them paypal would take action.

They also give you buyer protection but that protection is never 100% so you are always going to take a certain amount of risk when buying internationally.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Paypal will also close buyer account for too many disputes.

if you just open a dispute days ago,Paypal will notify seller to respond in 8-10 days ,then you can respond like escalting to Paypal review.

On some sites,venue provider will allow more days for seller to deliver the item,it could be as long as 30 days if they say they are shipping first class.

Login to Me Too

Josif
New Community Member
I BOUGHT 2 SMARTPHONES DEC1 ST AND THEY DID NOT SHIP after 5 emails til I opened a PayPal claim on Jan 5th, paypal closed the claim and one of the phones battery expanded and shattered the back glass. Now Paypal and geekbuging are not replying to my emails and I cannot open a paypal claim. CAN SOME ONE HELP ME, ADVICE ?
Login to Me Too

DuartePT
Contributor
Contributor

I have a escalation too with Geekbuying. Recived a dead phone, and they want me to send it to china, i buy it from spain. I all ready paid 150 euros to fix the phone.

Waiting for a resolution.

Login to Me Too

Williamleroux14
Contributor
Contributor
I am in South Africa, I bought a Xiaomi Note 4 from GEEKBUYING in June 2017 and paid by PayPal $190

Initially they said it was out of stock, I had to wait, then after 3 weeks they offered me another phone the Xiaomi 4X and a free gift, which I accepted.

After waiting 2 months the only thing in the package was a screen protector and silicon cover worth $3.

I have sent at least 25 emails to all their departments, they flat ignore me.

Beware these people are crooks
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Williamleroux14

Have you filed a paypal dispute for item received but not as described?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Williamleroux14
Contributor
Contributor
No I haven't, how do I do that?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Williamleroux14

How do I open a dispute with a seller when a purchase goes wrong?

You can open a dispute in the Resolution Centre of your PayPal account within 180 days of payment if:
•You don’t receive the item
•You receive an item but it’s significantly different than the description on eBay or on the seller’s website

By opening a dispute, you can communicate directly with your seller to work out a problem transaction.

If you reach an agreement with the seller you can close the dispute. If you're still not happy with the result, you can escalate the dispute into a claim. We'll review the claim and decide on reimbursement.

These steps apply to Personal accounts. If you have a Business account, please log in to see the steps that apply to you.

To open a dispute:
1.Log in to your PayPal account.
2.Near the bottom of the page, under 'More about your account', click Resolve a problem in our Resolution Centre.
3.Click Dispute a Transaction.
4.Select the button beside the transaction you want to dispute, then click Continue.
5.Select ‘Item dispute’, click Continue and follow the on-screen instructions.

Note:
•Generally buyers must wait at least 7 days from the date of payment to escalate a dispute for an item not received
•Where an item has not been received, please ensure you have given the seller enough time before opening a dispute

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/first-dispute

GOOD LUCK.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Mislav0508
Contributor
Contributor

The same happened to me. I revieved a tracking number from paypal which they claim they have revieved from geekbuying. The tracking number is of course useless. So, its already been 3 months since my order, I have no package, and as it turns out I have lost my 340 euros which I payed using Paypal.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.