Friends and Family scam! Help.

Joeymcfadd
Contributor
Contributor

Keep this quite short. Basically a few years ago I bought tickets online for a show to see my sisters favourite singer. 

The tour/show wasn't till the following year, I found someone selling third row seats for $1,000 for 2 tickets.

I paid this individual via Paypal friends and family, and the tickets never arrived, I couldn't dispute it though because it was friends and family.

I phoned a paypal representative that told me there was nothing they could do, I went to law enforcement who wouldn't help either.

I am at a loss to what to do now, is friends and family the gift option? The Paypal representative said it's a gift of money to friends or family

and nothing should have been exchanged. Is this not just an easy way for scammers to abuse the system and get away with a serious crime?

How will I get my money back years on? Help.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You chose to send the money as friends/family; that was a GIFT payment.  PayPal makes it very clear in policies that you need to use goods/services payment when you are payment for goods or services.  

Whey you pay a friends/family, it is a gift paymetn with NO RECOURSE with PayPal. 

If you used a credit card and it is less than 180 days you could file a dispute there.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You wait too long,chargeback is 180 days,

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.