Friends and Family Payment Dispute Scam

Don_Ton
Contributor
Contributor

Hi everyone,

I advertise and sell shoes on Instagram and made a sale last week. A page called @kickmaniacs sent me a message saying he would pay $600 for all three of the shoes I had advertised. I agreed to the offer and he was eager to send me the money. I suggested on sending him an invoice but he quickly shot that down and said since they rarely use Paypal, and he swears on his daughter 100% that he doesn't scam and he's been through it. He wanted to send me the money through friends and family because he wants the shoes sent to a different address than the one on his Paypal.  He sent me the money as soon as I gave him the OK and he used an account under the name Rebhakah Strange. I got the money and shipped out the three pair of brand new shoes to the address he gave me under the name Tarell Rogers. I thought that was a bit odd. Everything seemed to go smooth. I shipped off the shoes and sent him the tracking receipt and he was ecstatic and "geeked for the new sneakers he was going to receive." Then two days after the shoes arrive (yesterday evening) at the shipping address, I get a request for $600 from the Rebhakah Strange account 3 times!! This is when I knew something was up. I logged into my PayPal account while I was at the gym and saw that I had a negative $600 PayPal balance and a dispute was filed against the $600 transaction for the 3 pair of shoes from the Rebhakah Strange Paypal account for an unauthorized transaction. I have all the screenshots and evidence that the transaction was 100% legit and I earned the money for my sneakers. I find this very absurd because I do business on here all the time and this has never happened to me.  I need my account to sell more shoes in order to pay for bills and college. The dispute is under review and I have no idea how to counter it and tell Paypal the truth. Any help people??

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Don_Ton

A buyer can't open a Paypal dispute if they pay via the friends / family option as they have no buyer protection.

However they can do a 'chargeback' via their card issuer OR file for an 'unauthorised transaction' and as you accepted a f/f payment then you would have no seller protection.

As its against Paypal rules to accept payment for sales using the friends / family option you also risk having your Paypal account permanently limited.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Don_Ton
Contributor
Contributor

Will I lose money? I have proof/screenshots of the transaction.They are really trying to steal money from PayPal. Would it be best to create a new PayPal? I have no security here I feel. Thanks for the advice!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.