Fraudulent charge via billing agreement

VVFL
New Community Member

So I recently was the victim of Fraudulent activity which appears to have sourced from a previously established billing agreement that was unbeknownst to me, linked to a HauteLook/Nordstrom Rack account that was hardly ever used. I wasn't even aware that these "billing agreements" existed. 

The total for the charged was $3820. 

They removed ~820 from my paypal account balance, and the remaining $2990 or so directly from my bank acount. 

A lot of money to have been stolen from me. 

I called Hautelook when I received the email concerning this fraudulent charge. They said the order seemed to be illicit and the order was canceled almost immediately.

I called Paypal immediately and they said they file the dispute, and investigate it, and I would likely get me entire money back.

The paypal transaction even has the shipping address to an address that has never been on my account and it is listed as a "confirmed" address. Makes no sense, and appears obviously fraudulent.  

WELL, I got the email today from Paypal that the dispute was investigated, and I will NOT be getting my money back. They are claiming that it appears to be a normal authorized purchase.

I am entirely unsure how this can be. This was compeltely unauthorized, fraudulent activity. 

How can Paypal do this?

HOW CAN I GET MY MONEY BACK???

Any help would be appreciated. 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You stated this was a bank transaction, so first action should be an urgent phone call to your bank.  Banks are better at investigating fraud than PayPal.

You also need to do a lot of research to figure out how this all happened.  You need to research all your previous billing agreements; you may find you really did authorize payments.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.