Fraud...unauthorized....it wasn't me

Darque
New Community Member

A few months ago, I added a checking account to PayPal to be able to transfer money.  I never finished the process, as far verifying the small transfer amounts Paypal does to make sure it is your account.  

I got an email on 8/6/17 stating I made 4 payments totaling $1400.00, which I did not do.  I opened the fraud case once I saw them.  While I was in my account I saw that there were also phone numbers added and moved and then added again to my account, which I did not do.  When I filed the cases, they asked me if I added these numbers, and I responded no.  

Today I get a response with the tracking number, and the case (on all 4 transactions) is closed.  I look it up and it shows it was delivered to me today.  I go to the mailbox, and there is a box of sugar.  There is no way I would spend $1400 on a bag of sugar.  So now I am wondering what to do next?  I don't think filing a dispute is correct because that would imply I authorized the transaction.  I was not online to make the purchase, I have no idea who the person is, and the numbers were added to my account I assume to see if I would notice it.  But PayPal never sent me any notification that changes were made to my profile, not sure why.  

I sent an email to the "seller" asking for a refund, but I already know they are either not going to answer it or just deny my request.  But I did it anyway, just so I would not have PayPal tell me that that's what I need to do.  I don't want too much time to elapse only to be told that "if only I would have contacted them sooner, but now there's nothing that can be done".  So if anyone has had a similar experience with a positive outcome, I'd love to hear how you handled it.

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.