Fraud?-Traveling guest used my address to order Paypal Prepaid Mastercard

Earthlark
Contributor
Contributor

Recently an international guest (a student currently studying in the US) used my address to order a Paypal Prepaid Mastercard. The guest is temporarily staying at my place (via Couchsurfing) while traveling around the US. While they seem like a fine person, I don't fully trust them.

Is there any possibility of a scam here? It doesn't seem like it since it's prepaid and all, but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks for your input!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

The greatest risk is not the card but rather security of any of your computer and phone devices.   They need to be physically under your control and inaccessible by visitors.  Failure to protect your devices and accounts would be a serious problem.

A separate temporary prepaid card should not be a problem unless it gets linked to your account and that would be because of your own security failure.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

the store bought card can only do that much,to link to a paypal account,he would need to apply for a permanent card with his name,SS number and address.

he has no SS and he has no proof of address,it has to be a utility account in his name or others,he cant get a permanent prepaid card.

Login to Me Too

Earthlark
Contributor
Contributor
I saw the card she got today, and it was a PayPal prepaid debit mastercard. So if I'm understanding correctly, this should pose no risk to me, correct?
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

if it is not a permanent card,I dont see why you think you will be in trouble just because she used your address to order a card?

Login to Me Too
Solved

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

The greatest risk is not the card but rather security of any of your computer and phone devices.   They need to be physically under your control and inaccessible by visitors.  Failure to protect your devices and accounts would be a serious problem.

A separate temporary prepaid card should not be a problem unless it gets linked to your account and that would be because of your own security failure.

Login to Me Too

Earthlark
Contributor
Contributor
Excellent. Thanks so much for the input. I thought it was fine but just needed some extra confirmation since the person has been acting quite strange. (Probably just cultural and personal.) Yeah, I definitely have my devices locked down! Thanks again!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.