Fraud, MicroSoft Product Key Win 7 PRO

Frederick3
Contributor
Contributor

I bought a product key from an eBay seller for Windows Win 7 Pro.  The key came from a sticker on a scraped PC.   After several months, MicroSoft on its usual routine checks defined the product key as fraudulant and my operating system is on restricted use.  After I contacted MS Tech I discovered that a number of PCs had been registered with this key.   I've tried to put a claim (resolution center) through on Paypal but the best I can do is fraudulant activities by the sellers with my Paypal account.   What are my options.  

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @Frederick3,

Thank you for posting in the community! I'm sorry to hear about the issue that occurred with your purchase. I'm happy to help!

Was the purchase made as a payment for goods or services, or as a friends and family payment? If the payment was for goods/services, the option to dispute the payment for Significantly Not As Described would be available for 180 days. If the payment was sent as a friends and family payment, there is no Purchase Protection. Only payments with no expectation of exchange are meant to be sent as friends and family payments. If the payment was sent that way, I'm afraid that there is no recourse to dispute the payment for Significantly Not As Described.

If the payment was made as a goods or services payment and it occurred within the last 180 days, the option should be there to dispute the payment. If those two requirements are both met, please reach out to customer support to let them know that the option is not available. You can reach customer support by Facebook, Twitter, or phone or email. Please note that they will not be able to open a dispute if the 180 days has been exceeded or the payment was a friends and family payment.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Frederick3
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your reply.

The world would be a wonderful place if everything can be pigioned holed into black and white.  Unfortunately, this is not the case here.  We are talking about a computer operationg system requiring a key to make it fully functional.  At the time of purchase, that key, an object, was transfer to me for use in my operating system.  The key was described as being pulled from a scrapted computer.  This means that I bought the scaped computer for the key.  This keeps the terms and conditions iwth Microsoft in line.  However, I scraped the computer and simply kept the key.  And then used that key to activate another operationg system running in another computer.  This is allowed.  I, in essence, repaidrd the scraped computer with new parts.  In a transaction such as this, it is understood that the key will never be sold on its own to anyone else.  This is a contractual requirement.  Unfortunately for me, the seller did sell it to others.... in violation to MS terms and conditions.   Over time, the number of computers that were activated with the same key reached a limit and MS locked out that key and I became a victim.   This development happened past the 180 days limit.   This 180 limit was not designed to protect buyers such as myself for occurances as I described nor does is protect entities such as Microsoft who would hold trading institutions such as Paypal and eBay accountalbe.  It's a odd ball problem.  

A system should be disgined to account for situations such as I described undertanding that it is impossible to define every kind of short coming or fraud.  Unfortunately, this is not the case here as it would seem.  The bottom line is that Paypal will not pursue an idividual who willing commited fraud with MS products.   If this continues, I'm sure Microsoft would have issues with Paypal and the 180 limitation will most likely not hold water in court.  

Have a nice day.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.