False disputes now OK on PayPal?

rforsyth1
Contributor
Contributor

First off I have been with PayPal for over 17 years, and not till recently is this starting to happen and I see it is also from the forum board so I am NOT ALONE!

For the second time in less than 2 months I have had a False claim filled and PayPal sided with them (buyer). Most recent and off the charts lack of follow through was last night.

No info on what it was from the start to the ruling, as to what was wrong, and most importantly WHAT WAS THE ITEM; I mean NOTHING!

A buyer sent in a claim (never to this date contacted me) on 3/25/17.

I called PayPal as to what this was about.

The rep said "It says not as described" I ask what was it?

He says "I don't know".

Now to note, the sale date he said was 1/4/17. This is just shy of 3 months after the sale.

I ask the rep (was on the phone for 45 minutes), well why not ask the buyer:

1.) What is it. So I can at least address this, I cant defend myself if I dont know what it was.

2) What is not described. Please elaborate, are there pictures? Or even a description of what is wrong, I mean come on.

How can I defend myself if I have not got a clue what the item is? As we are talking this rep (who did seem he had a clue), understood about buyers and buyers remorse (changing their mind on a whim). He told me he "PERSONALLY" was going to follow through on this case. As he could clearly see this was the case on the shear fact 3 months later no matter what it was.

He sent an email to the buyer requesting information immediately when I got off the phone.

I next get an email on or about 3/30/17 stating the case was being extended to the end of April, checked the status of the case and see NOTHING has been put forward by the buyer.

No reply at all, so still can not post anything myself as I STILL have no idea what this item was. (I do over 500 sales a month on multiple sites so cant track it down).

I then yesterday get an email stating PayPal is ruling in favor of the buyer!

Mind you this again is the 2nd time this has happend in less than 2 months.

I called PayPal, get past the 1st rep as they cant do anything except make excuses and say I understand, get the Manager above her, then have to get another above that one as this manager says it lists here as "Birthday gift" I dont sell anything called Birthday gift!!!

I next get another supervisor (one does not say "I understand" every 3 seconds that clearly doesn't, must be in their script, which you do NOT say to an upset caller when in fact you do NOT understand).

I then again, had to start the scenario all over, (now at 30 minutes into the call) when done explaining this Supervisor at least says "Well it should have been handled better, as well as not have been ruled against me, we will make sure training is done for the future".

REALLY!

That is the reply, yet I am OUT of my funds???

She clearly understands what happened here, knows it should not have been ruled against me, but the email went out so its over and I can not escalate this and again I repeat "I HAVE NO IDEA AS OF THIS WRITING WHAT THE ITEM WAS/IS AND NOR DOES PAYPAL!".

This one was for $54, the last one was $128 I am out. The 1st was an eBay sale the 2nd I have no idea and nor does PayPal. (which is absurd).

On ALL my sales on eBay, I have no questions asked policy on returns done in 2 weeks. BOTH of these returns is PAST the eBay return deadline (and for me to get my fee's back from eBay) which is 45 days.

PayPal giving 6 months for ANYTHING to be returned is WRONG!

I can not return any items to Wal-Mart or Sears or Best Buy after 30 days, I am sent to the manufacture.

Yet I am being held to HIGHER level of responsibility than multi billion dollar chains on a LIE.

That and the fact it is a buyer changing their mind. In my 2 week guarantee, that is MORE than enough time to say if something is wrong, broken/defective/not as described. Now 3 months later a person can do that? Just change their mind and have the seller not only lose out a sale but all fee's associated with it.

There was a day PayPal was good, they have adapted the eBay role (probably learned how their customer service works or lack thereof), too big and depend on robots who have zero data to process the case, the defuat is buyer wins, have calls go out of country and have to deal with script readers first who cant speak a lick of English.

Then IF you can get one that can and supposedly is a supervisor say something as stupid is "Yes WE made a mistake but YOU will have pay for it", the only solace in that is admitting the mistake.

I did ask this lady if it is OK if I take that $54 out of her pocket and would she be OK with that (dont forget fee's that brings it to $60). She said no, so how do you expect me to accept that as a final resolve.

So bottom line is this, if you need something to use for a short time (under 6 months), you can buy it, use it what ever you want, then file a claim.

NOT AS DESCRIBED, and you will get all your money back.

They have opened that door, and have people incompetent and without any proof or validate any claims (forget common sense), just rubber stamping in favor of the buyer.

This also is the same company when in 2008, I had a valid claim on buying tires/rims of $800 that never was delivered and refunded me but $100. How they have gone full circle from VALID claims not being refunded to invalid and not even knowing what the item is (cant say that enough here) being refunded and ripping off sellers is ridiculous.

I am now going to have find another avenue of payments as this IS increasing, not only here on PayPal but eBay as well.

The option of returns reason has but 4 choices (eBay) and 2 particular one's "DOESN'T SEEM AUTHENTIC" and "ITEM NOT AS DESCRIBED" gives the buyer a complete out and the seller must pay postage back as well as the original shipping cost. That has been abused to death the last few years and now it is being taken to a higher level where buyers can do it 6 months down the road.

Give an example, selling a broken radio item as parts, clearly stating as such.

Buyer can go the eBay route of "NOT AS DESCRIBED" and the seller loses and has to pay to get it back, yet it was 1000% accurate.

Or now (and in both cases) they can pick it apart, get the parts they want out of it, then file a claim with PayPal saying the same thing and the seller again BONED!

PayPal, without sellers you have NO JOBS!

You keep boning them and you will see a drop.

It is already clear to me this is a growing pattern being abused, and you are enabling it. You don't bite the hand that feeds.

I will follow this up with the posting of this on RIPOFF.COM as I for one am sick of this, you the truth so YOU PAY for it.

It was admitted and you have it recorded, PayPal used a ROBOT to judge this, the messed up, OWN YOUR MISTAKES.

Login to Me Too
16 REPLIES 16

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

PayPal has a policy to allow disputes for up to 180 whether we like it or not.  It does put the seller at a disadvantage for not as described cases, especially when the condition of the item changes after receipt. There will always be some dishonest buyers (dishonest sellers also exist).  There are dishonest buyers in the retail business and they take advantage of liberal return policies.  As long as you are accepting payments through another party you are limited to what you can really control; accept cash only and you can control your refunds better.

In PayPal selling one can learn which types of products are subject to more abuse by buyers than other products and then adjust your business model accordingly.  It's a matter of making changes your business to reduce risk while working withing the system.

Login to Me Too

rforsyth1
Contributor
Contributor

I have seen no way to go back to Checks (as you say Cash) eBay told me they only accept one other place for Creditcards, and the reviews on them are even worse. I did call after my last burn, but dont expect much in the way of help from eBay. If it is not on the script of the one answering (hopefully in this country) you are **bleep** again. Catch 22, I have tried anotehr site, buy the traffoc is not the same. Thinking Amazon is my next venue.

Oh and that polciy has not been there al;l that long either.I got burned out 700 buying tires and rims, PayPal gave me 100 back this was 2008.

Login to Me Too

rforsyth1
Contributor
Contributor
Your suggestion has no merit. The stuff I sell is what it is, I am not there JUST to make sales I have a product line. You dont tell Ford to go sell Air Conditioners do you b/c of DISHONEST buyers right? Same applies. As far as options of taking payment, you can NOT take cash on eBay, used too. Everything was fine then. No you are held hostage.
Login to Me Too

silimtao
Contributor
Contributor

I'm a new seller, and now seeing why people shy away from Ebay, IF scammers know that PP will routinely refund $$ for ANY reason. 

Long story short: I sold a $455 guitar in perfect condition. PERFECT. A week later, buyer (a very experienced buyer/seller, with over 4000 transactions) wants a refund "or $200 dollars to fix the neck." Initially, the buy admitted to trying to fix it himself, removing parts, adjusting the truss rod. Ebay ruled that buyer tampered with instrument, case closed- OR SO I THOUGHT. 

Buyer then opens case against me with PayPal. I send PP Ebay's decision, with some comments, and buyer had opportunity to respond, but didn't. Provided no documentary evidence, except for "item damaged." 

Is it true bots decide these things? 

More than that, is there anything besides PP that's so big, it's impossible to call them? I've called twice, and waited over an hour. I left messages for them to call back, but they never have. 

I've had one non-payer, and now, someone that's scammed me. If there's another way to receive payment, and have a human arbitrator, please let me know. 

Login to Me Too

linnea_luna
New Community Member
Agree! If eBay and Paypal won't protect us, we'll have to use other services.
Login to Me Too

rforsyth1
Contributor
Contributor
I would sign up day one if another came along.
Login to Me Too

silimtao
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal sucks, and will refund everything, based on dubious claims. Ebay will at least investigate. I won on the ebay level after a false claim, but an experienced buyer/seller knew he had recourse with Ebay's money back guarantee. 

So the answer to your question is, yes. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.