Facebook Ireland Ad Scam

lukecycling
New Community Member

I have had someone that traces back to Facebook Ireland take around $200  via Paypal and around $400 taken via bank account. I now discover I'm not alone and that many others have has this happen when the Facebook ad account is hacked and they change the settings for authorised payment. It has been going on a while but I have only just realised so settings have all been changed/passwords changed etc. My question is that if money has been taken via PayPal without my permission then why have they closed the dispute? 

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @lukecycling,

I'm very sorry to hear that you've had an issue where your Facebook account was accessed by an unauthorized party. 

It sounds like a Facebook billing agreement was initiated by you at some time in the past, and that authorized billing agreement was used with your Facebook credentials. Is that correct?

Any sort of security issues for third party sites would be outside the ability of PayPal to cover. Please contact that third party site to request options for reimbursement from them for the unauthorized use of their site.

You can also cancel any billing agreements at any time for future payments. 

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

OzHarte
New Community Member

My problems started on 3 April 2019 when I had money deducted from my PayPal account by Facebook Ireland.

The method used by FaceBook to deal with a complaint is to stall, request the same information multiple times and declare that me, the user, authorized the payment due to a pre-existing agreement.

However, they cannot and will not provide evidence of the reason for the charge and ignore every contrary submission from me, dating back from 2019 to 2016 that shows no legitimate charge could exist. They also reject the amount claimed as not the amount deducted. 

After two weeks of being messed around by a supposed investigation by 'Billing', I am offered the opportunity to have a ticket raised for an investigation by 'Billing'. Ahhh.

It is so frustrating and I am convinced the responses are coming from 'bots' with the goal of making me give up and go away, especially as the amount is less than AUD$20.00.

This is international bullying by an American corporation. It is unfair, unconscionable, unjust and harsh.

On my last correspondence, I included attachments to support my statement that... "I have checked the ads manager back to 2016 and up to April 2019, for (3 separate FaceBook accounts [with their ad manager numbers] and there are no charges outstanding. See attached PayPal payment schedule)."

The response was to ignore this and return to their original statement of 3 April 2019: "...Unfortunately, these ad charges couldn't be refunded because the refund amount entered was higher than the total amount you've spent. If you still want to dispute a charge or campaign, please reply to this response and include the specific amount you'd like a refund for (for example, $23.15 USD) and any additional information we can use to look into your request further..."

I cannot get them to assess if the Australian dollars I am claiming is equal to their charge (which I still haven't been told) in another currency? And around and around we go....

Login to Me Too

mrsroman
Contributor
Contributor

I have been dealing with this for over a year but still haven´t been able to stop it. I haven´t had any help from either Paypal nor Facebook. How are you dealing with this and have you had any help?

Regards from Petra (Sweden). 

Login to Me Too

ResUn
New Community Member
Guess what. They are back. They started to scam me as well. PayPal basically says I have to take it up with Facebook. They day I have a contract of some kind with Facebook ads. On both my accounts of FB I do not have an ad campaign. Never had also. So now I have changed all my passwords. PayPal and FB accounts. I am monitoring each day under the tools section to see if there are any subscriptions added to PayPal account. Seems I cannot go into it because I had contact with PayPal yesterday? PayPal has gone to a level of a bailiff company. Nothing more. This is really crazy.
Login to Me Too

gdemos01
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I have been facing this issue now. They have been stealing money from my account!! Did you manage to find a solution? No one is willing to help me 😞

Regards,

Giorgos D.

Login to Me Too

rebeccacorey
New Community Member

I have become a victim to the same hacking theft and have been told by PayPal that the payments were authorised even though they were not. They were somehow made not even through my Facebook account, but through another account that was also connected to an official facebook page of an organisation.

This should also be the responsibility of PayPal to refund this money and should fall under customer protection because the payments were NOT authorised or even preauthorised.

Please see this article for additional information on this scam: https://www.cnet.com/news/your-hacked-facebook-account-may-be-bankrolling-scam-ad-campaigns/

Login to Me Too

thebusystamper
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same issue.  I haven't ran a Facebook ad in many many years if at all. If I did it would have been so brief that I don't recall it.  My business has been closed for 4 years and I rarely even use Facebook.  Has anyone figured out a way to get in touch with an actual human being at Facebook instead if going around and around in their maze of a help center?

Login to Me Too

Tulu17

I just had about 1000€ routed to <removed> Facebook responded that there was no suspicius activity on my account even though there were post in russian from a site promoting some medical ewuipment. Got an automated reply probably.

Login to Me Too

SueLynnRas
Contributor
Contributor

I had this problem too.  They took $27.72 USD = €22.51 EUR out of my bank account on July 18,2021.  I contacted my bank and they are investigating.  I submitted a claim that this charge was unauthorized by me, and they got back to me stating that they investigated and it was an "authorized" charge.

I called customer support and found that the email address associated with the Facebook account is paypal ads ireland1 at fb  dot com   (I had to take out the . and the @ sign and replace it with words.  This forum wouldn't let me format it the correct way)

I have never heard of this until yesterday and have never had any account in another country other than The United States of America.

My guess is that my Facebook account was hacked being a friend messaged me last week saying they received a friend request from me on a different account.  But I never sent them that request.  I changed my password that same day, and after finding this fraudulent charge on my bank account, I changed my passwords.

I sent the information about this to Facebook, but haven't heard back.  And, probably won't ugh.  I am just grateful that it wasn't for more money.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.