Examples of Suspected Fraud or Fake Emails

PayPal_Andy

Hey Everybody!

In an effort to make things easier to find and research, I'm going to consolidate as many threads as possible where we have examples of people trying to defraud hard working sellers (Craigslist emails, 'PayPal' emails asking you to send money outside of PayPal, etc).  This will also be used as a master thread for future posts regarding this same situation.

When you post your examples here, please remember to not include last names or contact information of whoever is sending these emails.  There's no way to confirm if that person has been defrauded as well and the name is being used fraudulently.

Thanks for your cooperation and remember, keep the conversation productive, on task, and above all, keep it clean. I know these things can be difficult and frustrating, but bleep filled posts or posts that look like government redacted files will never benefit anyone. 😄

Andy

Login to Me Too
2,000 REPLIES 2,000

lilharleychic
Contributor
Contributor

I'm new with this Paypal, I'm selling my harley. A "woman" is asking for my text #, and my paypal acct #. Is this legit? When and how do I tell that this is a scam?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

lilharleychic -

Can you tell us more about your interactions with this potential buyer?  Additional details could help our Community Members advise you in this scenario.  Usually, it's those details that make the largest difference.

As for the text number and the PayPal account number, the PayPal account number is the email address you register with PayPal.  We use it in place of traditional account numbers to route payments.

The text number isn't necessary to send a payment (though there is a way to do so, but it's much easier to just route it by email address).  You certainly don't require both to send a payment.

Thanks!

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

jky241
Contributor
Contributor

I reported everything to PayPal and Craigslist. DONT GET SCAMMED !!

I was trying to sell my boat via a craigslist add and was contacted by email asking if it was still for sale. This dirtbag says they work for the US Navy (See Below)

Scam Email #1

Date: January 16, 2012 7:20:26 PM MST
To: Name and Email Removed by poster
Subject: Re: Bass Boat - 03 Smoker Craft Yamaha 115 Outboard - $15000 (Location Removed)
Thanks,i am a U.S. Navy as a nuclear reactor operator on board the USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN-71). i am at sea right now so l wont be able to check the item so whats the present conditionf, because am buying this for my son as a surprise gift so am willing to offer you the amount you required. I can only pay through PayPal at the moment as i don't have access to my bank account online(i don't have internet banking with it), but i have it attached to my PayPal account, and this is why i insisted on using PayPal to pay, all i will need is your PayPal email address to pay for it,Present condition and some pictures of it.But if you don't have a PayPal account yet, you can set one up at www.paypal.com it cant take you less than 3mins to do that, i will be expecting your PayPal email so l can pay. I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick up after payment has been sorted. l will be waiting for your reply asa
- I replied with my PayPal email thinking this might be a real offer. Silly me !!!!!
Scam Email #2
Date: January 21, 2012 12:15:57 PM MST
Subject: Re: Bass Boat - 03 Smoker Craft Yamaha 115 Outboard - $15000 (Location Removed)

I was just about to pay when i had this problem with the pick up, my pick up agent says i will need  to pay for the pick up before they can schedule a pick up time, they charged me $900 for pick up and delivery and also with the insurance fee, and payments for pick up made through them is made to their corporate international headquarters and the payments is made through western union money transfer, i will add the $1,000 to the money i will send through Pay Pal. I will email you as soon as i sent the payment. Please i will need  you to help me send the money to my pick up agent through western union money transfer, this can be done from any post office ,there is always western union money transfer section in most post offices or at the bank. I would have done it myself but we cant bring some of our personal effects along, i am a little incapacitated...I will appreciate your help here
- I started to suspect this was a scam, but replied saying I would send the Western Union as soon as I received the money to see what they would do
Scam Email #3
From: Name and Email Removed by poster (they tried to use a real looking PP email address here)
Date: January 21, 2012 1:17:12 PM MST
Subject: Message From PayPal***Awaiting Your Response ***

PayPal
Payment Confirmation!

Hello Email Removed by poster,

This Message is originated from PayPal Account Section.Regarding the payment made by "Name Removed by poster
"(Email Removed by poster) some minute ago which has not appeared in your PayPal account.In answer to this,we want you to know that the fund has been deducted from the buyer's account and is now pending in our database and won't reflect in your account due to the new policy of PayPal to protect both the buyer and seller from any fraudulent activities.So we strongly advise you to proceed with the transaction,as soon as you send the $900.00 USD to the pick up agent address.Kindly reply back with the Western Union Money Transfer details if possible with the Scan Copy of the western union money transfer receipt to prove that you have send the money to the correct address,so that we can fund the money into your account immediately. 

Note: The money as been deducted from the buyer's account and which can not be reverse back,since the money as been deducted from her account and the transaction as been approved. 

Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team.
- This is a pretty real looking email from the scammer, notice the part where it says the transaction has not appeared in your paypal account SCAM !!!, notice the bad english SCAM !!!
Scam Email #4
Date: January 21, 2012 1:19:12 PM MST
Subject: Payment Made.....Kindly get back to me asap

I have just made the payments now and i expect PayPal to have emailed by now if not you can check your spam or junk mail for the confirmation,i sent $16,000 in all, to (Email Removed by poster) i added $1,000 meant for pick up and delivery and the western union fee,they said they have emailed you to this effect, you will need to send the $900 to my pick up agent Headquarters via western union money transfer,so that PayPal can credit the $16,000 into your account as soon as you have emailed the western union details to them, i added extra $100 to cover the western union charges which shouldn't be more than $100 Here is the pick up agent info needed to get the money sent through western union money transfer:

Name Removed by poster,
Street Address Removed by poster,
Lauderhill
Florida,
USA.

I will need the details of the transfer once you have sent fund . . .
1.The MTCN number that is the 10  digits number on the Western Union  receipt
2.Sender's name and address used in sending the money
3.Actual amount sent.
- This has SCAM written all over it, trying to get me to send $900 by Western Union before receiving any money or anything in my paypal account. If you read through posts you will see lots of techniques used here in different scams.
- I emailed back and asked for the "pick up agents" phone number and this is the response I got. 
Scam Email #5 - Phishing for my personal info !

Date: January 21, 2012 1:30:21 PM MST
Subject: Re: Payment Made.....Kindly get back to me asap

No I don't have their Phone at the moment but you get me yours,so i can forward it to them and they will call you as soon as they are ready for the Pick up and also Kindly let me know as soon as you send the money..

Thanks.
- Sure I will send my phone number right over along with my DOB, SSN, Home Address and bank account numbers.
I reported everything to PayPal and Craigslist. DONT GET SCAMMED !!

Login to Me Too

temp02082012z
Contributor
Contributor

the exact same thing happened to me. what, if anything, can be done about it? 

Login to Me Too

Nhatorama
Contributor
Contributor

I had just re-posted my for sale car ad on craiglist and here's what I got:

Thanks for your mail.i will appreciate more pictures..I am ready to
buy it now for my son as a surprise promise gift,And due to the nature
of my work,phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted
but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email
regarding it.i would be glad to pay for it as soon as possible though
i will not be available to come for an inspection due to my tight
schedule.Kindly get back to me with the following questions below:

1) What is the condition?
2) Are you the Owner?
3) Pick up Location?
4) Your PayPal Email ID to effect the payment

I would be glad to make the payment immediately through PayPal so
kindly get back to me with your PayPal ID. You need not to worry
yourself about title transfer and shipment,i will instruct the
shipping company to handle that therefore in order to complete the
transaction do get back to me with your PayPal ID and total cost so
that I can make the payment asap. I will be waiting for your reply!
Thanks and God bless

This person asks me for more pictures, but I've got 31 small pictures in the ad that are linked to an image hosting site showing the original high resolution photos.

Answer for question #1:

The condition of the car and the type of title is described in the ad.

Answer for question #2:

On my craiglist post I specifically state that I'm a "private seller".

Answer for question #3:

As most of us know when posting or looking in craiglist the location of the seller is provided 99% of the time.

After reading this article http://dawnsutton.suite101.com/car-buying-scam-using-paypal-a215956#ixzz1kdNzgN47 I'm 99% sure this guy/gal is a scammer.

Hope this helps.

Login to Me Too

da_star

hi

just thought i would let people know i got the following emails with the paypal logo, but from PayPai (which looks like a L)  obviously they are a scam!

Your credit card information has been changed.

On January 21, 2012, your credit card has been removed from your PayPal account.

You are receiving this email notification because this email address is listed as the administrative contact email for your PayPal account. If you belive this is an error, click the link below, log in to your PayPal account and follow the instructions.

and one that said

You sent a payment of $87 AUD to eBay International AG

when i didnt send any payment

Login to Me Too

bri4ent

Paypal is alienating long term loyal customers. Foolish! i have been with Ebay and/or paypal for over 10 years. Now i am considered high risk???? i have a 100% approval rating. I have reported these two companies to the California Attorney Generals office for investigation. I dont think its legal to hold money that is not theirs and likely gaining interest income on money that is not and never was theirs, all the while wanting us sellers to ship as they hold even our shipping charges. Goofballs.

Login to Me Too

waltwilson
Contributor
Contributor

I got this in email today: "https://www.paypal.com/en_US/i/logo/paypal_logo.gif

Dear PayPal Member ,

This is the Last reminder to log in to PayPal as soon as possible.
Once you log in, you will be provided with steps to restore
your account access.

Once you log in, you will be provided with steps to restore your
account access. We appreciate your understanding as we
work to ensure account safety.

<edited to remove link for the reader's protection>

Our customers satisfaction remains our major concern.

We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

Sincerely,
PayPal Account Review Department  "

My account is verified and well established, so whats the deal

Login to Me Too

silverlakeboyz
New Community Member

I recently found a vehicle on cars.com. I contacted the seller. He stated he is in the military and is currently deployed and that the transaction could be completed via Paypal including shipping the vehicle to my door with all paperwork included. I have tried searching for similar transactions in which i go to western union and send the money to a 3rd party to hold the money as an escrow agent to ensure the transaction flows smoothly. I have emails from Paypal with a transaction number, etc. but i cant help but feel this is a scam from the seller. The emails are addressed from the Paypal Developer Network.

Can someone shed some light or is anyone aware of such a transaction?

Login to Me Too

chachalaca
New Community Member

I have now received two or three emails inviting me to participate in an online survey, stating that as a user of "PayPal Credit Services" (what's that?), baited with a "chance to receive one of two $500 checks*."   This comes in through a minor email account I use occasionally, one that is one of my emails tied to my PayPal and ebay accounts. 

Is this legit?

Thanks in advance.

Below is a copy of the email posted as text only to disable included links:

******begin pasted text*******

Subject line: PayPal values your opinions.

body text:

At PayPal™, we know that listening to our customers is essential to building best-in-class products and services. So, we'd like to invite you to participate in a short survey. It should take only 20 minutes to complete.

Your privacy is guaranteed. All your responses will be kept in strict confidence, and you'll never receive unsolicited communications as a result of your participation.

Please complete the survey as soon as possible after receiving this email to ensure your opinions are counted. Your time and participation are greatly appreciated! To thank you for participating in the research, you'll have a chance to receive one of two $500 checks*. Winners will be drawn and notified on or about February 10, 2012.

To get started, just click on the secure link below. If you cannot click the link, please copy and paste it into your browser address bar. If you have any questions about this research or how your responses will be used, please contact Chris P***** at ****@****.com. Reference Pay Pal Research.

Thanks for your time. And thanks for choosing PayPal.

Participation Link:
Study #2011960

**You have received this invitation because you are a customer of PayPal™ Credit Services. PayPal Credit Services has contracted with RTi Research to act as an independent 3rd party so that your responses remain anonymous.**.

*For the official rules on the $500 prize drawing, please click here.

If you need further assistance or are experiencing technical difficulties please call 1.800.9**.**** between 9:00am EST and 5:00pm EST Monday through Friday. You can also receive assistance by replying directly to this email with a detailed description of your issue.

* contact info at message end removed *

*******end pasted text*********

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.