Examples of Suspected Fraud or Fake Emails

PayPal_Andy

Hey Everybody!

In an effort to make things easier to find and research, I'm going to consolidate as many threads as possible where we have examples of people trying to defraud hard working sellers (Craigslist emails, 'PayPal' emails asking you to send money outside of PayPal, etc).  This will also be used as a master thread for future posts regarding this same situation.

When you post your examples here, please remember to not include last names or contact information of whoever is sending these emails.  There's no way to confirm if that person has been defrauded as well and the name is being used fraudulently.

Thanks for your cooperation and remember, keep the conversation productive, on task, and above all, keep it clean. I know these things can be difficult and frustrating, but bleep filled posts or posts that look like government redacted files will never benefit anyone. 😄

Andy

Login to Me Too
2,000 REPLIES 2,000

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

Hi Piccolo

Sorry to hear this hope u get it back

Genuine ppal emails:

Always address u as Dear full name

Never ask u to click on links/downloads/attachments

Never ask for personal info

Never ask u to click on links from private emails

Never ask u to ship first before receiving payment

Never ask for trackinig info in order to receive payment

Always log in  via official site never from your private emails

When u get paid u will see cleared payment in your acc never ship before

Read up on how ppal works

Ignore the scammer block them

Login to Me Too

Piccolo
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, Minty, that helps a lot. 

Login to Me Too

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

You're welcome

If u are ever unsure come back for advice firstSmiley Wink

Spoiler

Login to Me Too

Piccolo
Contributor
Contributor

I did get the ring back, Minty.  Thanks.

Login to Me Too

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

Fantastic!!!  altho u are out on shipping costs u are one lucky lady and you're most welcome

Thx for keeping me updatedSmiley Happy

Login to Me Too

and5612
New Community Member

This a scam email, the site appears legite and will let you login with any username and password. it will capture your login info

and ask for personal info after logging in. If you opened you should immediatly chang e your login info.

the sender is  from an email address *Removed* as the actual address is not permitted on this site

Login to Me Too

badbird2015
Contributor
Contributor

I listed my car on cars.com. I received 3 text messages wanting to buy my car site unseen...would only pay using paypal...and wanted to it asap. They will NOT call me, only text or email. Here are the numbers, names and emails that as used. *Removed* ...NV Patrick ...Text message reads...Hi, what's d lowest acceptable price for your vehicle on cars dot com &amp;amp; any issues not mentioned? Patrick ...Hi. The truck has no issues. It runs great and very little wear. The lest I am will to take is $8500. ...OK with price &amp;amp; condition as described on the web.I will pay via pay pal and arrange for pick up.Pls advise of your pay pal details so i can send money. ...I want to let you know that the miles that got list on this truck was way off...I just look at the add and realised the error in the add. The mileage should have been 158,000 Not 15,800. Sorry. Let me know if you are still interested. ..that is fine ...i am still interested ...Where are you located? Are you picking it up? ...i will arrange for pick up after purchase ...As this is my 1st time dealing with paypal in this situation...I need to make sure we are both protected. I was actually looking for cash and meet at the bank. So let me work on this and I will get back to you. ...Could please call. I would like to discuss this with. End of conversation!!! Never called!!! *Removed* *Removed* Text message reads... ...I'm interested in your vehicle on cars if still available reply to my email *Removed* with the engine pics.Dorothy ...Yes it is. I will go take some and let you know when I send them. ...send it to my email please ...No problem ...Pictures are sent to your email ..Please call me at your early convenience *Removed* my name is Charles F. I would like to talk to you and will answers all your questions about the truck and if you are still wanting to purchase it...we will arrange for payment and pick-up. Thanks ...I noticed that your area code is 360. I have family in Longview and was planning on going to see them here soon...so it would work for us to meet you over there somewhere. How does that work for you? ..I already told you am on conference, for now and am ready to pay for the vehicle kindly email me back with your paypal email id and the firm price so I can proceed with the payment now ..Tell you what...call me after you get done with your conference. I am available all day today and Sunday. I will be happy to answer any questions about the truck and so I know how this payment and pick up will work. Hope to talk to you soon. Thanks Charles End text Email sent from this is... ...Do you have the extra keys, Do you have the spare tire, Where did you get your car serviced, Have you ever had any transmission repairs and Is there any rust on the vehicle?. I'm ready to pay your asking price but not cash in person because I'm currently in a conference and calls are restricted at the moment and my only quickest payment option is PayPal, its safe fast and secure and i will be responsible for the PayPal transaction charges so you can get your expected amount. If you don't have an account with PayPal, its pretty easy to open one,Just log onto&amp;nbsp;&lt;a href="<a href="http://www.paypal.com&amp;nbsp;and&quot;" target="_blank">http://www.paypal.com&amp;nbsp;and"</a> target="_blank"&gt;<a href="http://www.paypal.com&amp;nbsp;and&lt;/a&gt;" target="_blank">www.paypal.com&amp;nbsp;and&lt;/a&gt;</a> sign up. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? As I am buying it for my dad and I'm pretty very sure he will love it, he's an handy man, so if there is anything that need to be fixed in it just let me know he will handle it. I have a mover that will come for the pick up once payment clears in your account and he will handle the documentations and changing of ownership on my behalf.&amp;nbsp; I'll look forward to hearing from you with the information below so that I can make the payment this morning as soon as possible. &amp;nbsp; Your PayPal e-Mail Address : Full name: Zip code for pickup: Firm Price 2nd email sent is ..Hi, Great day, I sent you an email, I hope you got it, if you didn't get it,try to check your junk inbox or your spam inbox and email me back.dorothy End email *Removed*...PA *Removed* Text message is... ...Good morning, Is your Car advert on cars.com still available? Pls get back to me with your firm price on (*Removed*) ASAP. Thank you !! Dont fall foe this paypal scam. They give false information tell you that paypal will get the money release after you send a large amount of back back via wester union for shipping cost..all fake letters NOT sent from paypal but looks very official looking. Just Bewear of anyone that does not want to talk to personally and wants to buy site unseen and not picking the item up themself.

Login to Me Too

kathysnc
Contributor
Contributor

here is another email i received this am. It wouldn't be so funny but as with the first the guys English is so poor as to be laughable

Reminder: We need your help with your account PayPal

Dear Customer,

• We sended you a little while ago to ask for your help resolving an issue with your account PayPal .

What's the problem ?

• Some information on your account appears to be missing or incorrect. Please update your information promptly so that you can continue to enjoy all the benefits of your paypal account. If you don't update your information within 72 hours. we'll limit

Confirm My Account

Login to Me Too

John_317
New Community Member

Subject: Your Account is Limited until we hear from You
Importance: High

- We have Iimited your account access.

Your account has been Iimited.

As you have been informed previously, there will be changes to our Buyer Protection program, effective 18 November 2014. This is part of our security process and helps ensure that PayPal continue to be safer way to buy online. While your account is Iimited, some options in your account won't be available.

Why my account access is Iimited.
We noticed some unusual log in activity with your account. Please confirm your account to help us check that no one has logged into your account without your permission.

How to remove my limitation.
You can resolve your limitation by following these simple steps:
1. Log in Here
2. Provide the information assosiated with your account.
3. Submit your information as soon as possible, so we can solve it quickly.

Remove Limitation

Please do not reply to this email. Unfortunately, we are unable to respond to inquiries sent to this address. For immediate answers to your questions, simply visit our Help Center by clicking “Help” at the bottom of any PayPal page.

Login to Me Too

Seymour-
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Obviously a fake because PayPal will NEVER ask you to click on a link in an email from them. If you hover over the link, you will see that it will not take you to a PayPal domain to login. (We don't catch the smart ones as often).

I get 10-20 various scams in my Inbox each & every day (usually 1 or 2 of them are from 'PayPal'). Like this one (unedited. this is exactly how I got it. I didn't edit it at all) lol.

? ?

Your account PayPal is limited you have to solve the problem in 24 hours

Hello customer,

We are sorry to inform you that you can not access all your PayPaladvantages like sending money and purchasing,due to account limitation .

Why my account PayPal is limited?
Because we think that your account is in danger from stealing and unauthorized uses .

What can I do to resolve the problem?
You have to confirm all your account details on our secure server by click the link bellow and following all the steps

PayPal Security Department 2015

? ?

Like I said, we don't catch the smart ones as often.  Have a nice day and let's be careful out there.

'Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.'
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.