Examples of Suspected Fraud or Fake Emails

PayPal_Andy

Hey Everybody!

In an effort to make things easier to find and research, I'm going to consolidate as many threads as possible where we have examples of people trying to defraud hard working sellers (Craigslist emails, 'PayPal' emails asking you to send money outside of PayPal, etc).  This will also be used as a master thread for future posts regarding this same situation.

When you post your examples here, please remember to not include last names or contact information of whoever is sending these emails.  There's no way to confirm if that person has been defrauded as well and the name is being used fraudulently.

Thanks for your cooperation and remember, keep the conversation productive, on task, and above all, keep it clean. I know these things can be difficult and frustrating, but bleep filled posts or posts that look like government redacted files will never benefit anyone. 😄

Andy

Login to Me Too
2,000 REPLIES 2,000

RiskyBZzz
New Community Member
Yes I was just scammed by a military man trying to by my vehicle , had a "hauler" company coming to get the vehicle and I sent 500$ to cover fees then another 375$ to cover more fees then they tried getting 375$ more and I did research and found you guys.. Wish it was before it because I got **bleep** man.. Be careful
Login to Me Too

Loosey
Contributor
Contributor
I have an engagement ring listed on Craigslist. This person wants to use paypal to pay me. He says he just needs my paypal email. I'm new to paypal. Once I get the money can he take it back after he gets the ring?
Login to Me Too

Melit
Contributor
Contributor

You will not receive the money, do not send the ring.

The pay pal link he or she will give you is fake!

Melit

Login to Me Too

Truckrat
Contributor
Contributor

Always remember that PayPal does not hold money until you ship. The money is there immediatly. Watch for PayPal addresses that start with a capital "S" in service at ... etc.. a ligit email from paypal is all lower case. Also watch for the address saying PayYou instead of PayPal. That is also fake.

If the money is really sent and you CAN access it, always keep all sending reciepts and the buyer MUST sign for the package. Then if he tries to get his money back, you have the evidence you sent it and he received it. PayPal will investigate any dispute.

Not all people are scammers, but be very careful. When in doubt, don't sell it to that person.

Login to Me Too

Loosey
Contributor
Contributor
I have an engagement ring listed on Craigslist. This person wants to use paypal to pay me. He says he just needs my paypal email. I'm new to paypal. Once I get the money can he take it back after he gets the ring?
Login to Me Too

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

Hi Loosey

Its hard to say

Chargebacks can happen if they pay by ccard and the transaction is unauthorised

Disputes can be opened for item not as described but they will be asked to send it back at their own expense before u refund

Send it tracked so u have proof of delivery not proof of posting

If they pay by ppal make sure the money is in your account before u ship

Login to Me Too

lhull
Contributor
Contributor

This sounds like the same thing happening to me. I am very suspicious, as this person is supposed to be in the Marines, but cannot come look at my bike. Wants to use Paypal and then have an "agent" come pick it up. 

The grammer is very poor and strange, like this person does not have a good understanding of English.  He also has a gmail account....

Login to Me Too

curious14
New Community Member

I got an email from same type of set-up guy wants his agent to pick up my bike because he is out at sea, he wants my pay pal email address so he can pay me what's the big risk here if I hold the bike until I get the money out of my account?

Login to Me Too

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

Hi curious14

Truth is no money will go into your account

Truth is they will probably offer u more money so u can pay their shipper via western union

Truth is they will probably send u fake emails supposedly from ppal

Truth is they arent interested in your item at all

Truth is they are looking for free money

Truth is if any money does go into your account odds are the account has been hijacked and u will be subject to a chargeback possibly losing your item and have no money, whether u withdraw it  or not

Never accept ppal for an item that needs collecting as u have no sellers protection in case of any problems CASH on collection only 

What's the big risk here? Have u not read any of the scam messages on here to see how they operate and see what can happen/ has happened?

Login to Me Too

arlwonder

Thank you all for your insights -- my husband posted his jeep on Craigslist and we got an email from someone claiming to be in the service and overseas and unable to call us.  He wanted us to give him our PayPal ID and what our bottom line was on the sale price.  He then said he would be using his own shipper and paying the costs - first clue this was a scam!?!  I was not sure and I am so glad I came to this sight to see what others have done -- saved us from heartaches!!  Thanks again.

The sad part of this is it will probably hurt the ones that are real prospects as it has made most of us  over cautious -- but better safe than sorry.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.