Examples of Suspected Fraud or Fake Emails

PayPal_Andy

Hey Everybody!

In an effort to make things easier to find and research, I'm going to consolidate as many threads as possible where we have examples of people trying to defraud hard working sellers (Craigslist emails, 'PayPal' emails asking you to send money outside of PayPal, etc).  This will also be used as a master thread for future posts regarding this same situation.

When you post your examples here, please remember to not include last names or contact information of whoever is sending these emails.  There's no way to confirm if that person has been defrauded as well and the name is being used fraudulently.

Thanks for your cooperation and remember, keep the conversation productive, on task, and above all, keep it clean. I know these things can be difficult and frustrating, but bleep filled posts or posts that look like government redacted files will never benefit anyone. 😄

Andy

Login to Me Too
2,000 REPLIES 2,000

TiffGarrett
New Community Member

Trying to do the same thing to us! He is so busted. Now he is pretty much harassing us and threatening  us.

Login to Me Too

LMRidley
New Community Member

Beware scam on Craig List person contacted me saying handicapped could not talk to me because can not speak loud and etc etc using ECargo for delivery, never would tell me where she lived and etc see others have reported her as well identical working for scam -I was selling electric wheelchair and really thought I had a buyer but I too am a skeptic and know if it sounds too good it is probably not lol just warning everyone on Paypal about this person, thanks

Login to Me Too

stoutman1
Contributor
Contributor

We also have an electric wheelchair for sale on Craigslist.  This same person contacted me this morning.  We thought it was a scam.  Told them we take cash only.  We asked for their address they have not contacted me since .

Login to Me Too

redflag
New Community Member

Same thing is happening to me over and over again!  Same story, same spelling/grammatical errors.  She won't say where she lives, but she wants my address.  She wants the item for sale (wheelchair) shipped to her and to pay via PayPal even though it's a cash only sale and u-haul only.  She says she "can't talk on the phone". 

Tracy emails from a gmail account.

She continues to email me... definately a SCAM!!!  I reported it to the FTC and to Google and to Craigslist.  PLEASE take the time to REPORT IT too so we can get this to STOP!

Craigslist: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/cgi-bin/emailForm.cgi

Gmail:  http://mail.google.com/support/bin/request.py?hl=en&contact_type=abuse&rd=1

FTC:  http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/spam/

Login to Me Too

stoutman1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the links.  Will definitely let them know!

Login to Me Too

dukebluedon
New Community Member

I too have a wheelchair on Craigslist and same story...................I just had a feeling, so when she asked me for my address, I asked for hers.  She sent it to me, but I am still skeptical.  I don't know if this is a real address.  I don't know what to believe.  I actually felt sorry for her.  It's sad you can't trust anybody these days!

Login to Me Too

candysteel58
Contributor
Contributor

I believe the same thing is happening to me also. I had a truck for sale on craigslist. A person by the name of <email removed> email account, had contacted me about buying it. They said that they were a off shore oceanographer and couldn't get access to come in person to get the vehicle. They also didn't spell right and wrote in incomplete sentences. My number one thought that it was a scam was if they was an oceanographer, don't you think they would be smart enough from all that college they had to go through to atleast write in complete sentences? lol After email after email, they wanted me to send $500 via. Western union to someone in Delaware to come pick it up. They also would never call me on the phone, never saying why. I got an email supposedly from pay pal, saying I had new funds in my account. It looked exactly from pay pal, but left me skeptical. I logged into pay pal and did not see any transactions referring to that email that was sent. Please look out for this person too!!! Lots of people out there scamming people!! Never trust anyone!

Login to Me Too

melissa7187
Contributor
Contributor

How does the scamming work? I've gotten a few responsed for a wheelchair my fam is selling where people want to pay through paypal. so long as I dont part with the wheelchair until I receive the money, what are the risks that I have? I always thought paypal was really safe that way. thanks.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi folks!

I wanted to pop in for a minute to explain why I have removed the names that were posted in this thread.

I'm actually going to quote Adrian, who summed it up rather nicely in this post

Very often, the names, phone numbers, and addresses given to anyone by a fraudster is a real name, phone number, or address.  But whose information is it?

Well, most often, it's another victim.  It's not the fraudster.

I can't stress enough that by repeating that information in the Forums or elsewhere, you may be unknowingly victimizing or re-victimizing another person.  Individuals whose information is used in these scams repeatedly receive harassing phone calls, letters, emails, and in some cases, wind up in physical confrontations with people who think they're the scammer.

To all of our members, please don't track down, contact, or confront spoofers or fraudsters on your own.  In most instances, the person you track down has nothing to do with the fraud and not only are you harassing them, but if this is the real spoofer, you could be placing yourself at personal risk.  Do the right thing - if you have information that you feel can lead to the arrest of a real fraudster, don't confront them yourself.  Give the information over to the local authorities and let them take care of it. 

Your life, liberty, and well-being aren't worth losing over an email.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

sewbuttons
New Community Member

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.