Examples of Suspected Fraud or Fake Emails

PayPal_Andy

Hey Everybody!

In an effort to make things easier to find and research, I'm going to consolidate as many threads as possible where we have examples of people trying to defraud hard working sellers (Craigslist emails, 'PayPal' emails asking you to send money outside of PayPal, etc).  This will also be used as a master thread for future posts regarding this same situation.

When you post your examples here, please remember to not include last names or contact information of whoever is sending these emails.  There's no way to confirm if that person has been defrauded as well and the name is being used fraudulently.

Thanks for your cooperation and remember, keep the conversation productive, on task, and above all, keep it clean. I know these things can be difficult and frustrating, but bleep filled posts or posts that look like government redacted files will never benefit anyone. 😄

Andy

Login to Me Too
2,000 REPLIES 2,000

joannebrave
Contributor
Contributor

is any one having problems with pay pal im taking them to cort what they are saying about online is true its the devils work its ruining the world and the stupit people are letting it im a buessnes owner and my wifes name ia on my paypal account she autherrised me to speak at least 20 times of me calling paypal doesnt want to get it through there thick penny pinching

heads they are agravating me

Login to Me Too

leighann1975
how do you send the emails to PayPal because there's a lady that is doing the same thing with the wedding dress that I have for sale on Craigslist and she wants to send me 800 for the dress and 458 it she wants me to send 800 in my paypal account but it's not she has different email
Login to Me Too

ThatGuyBigO
New Community Member
What email address could I forward the fake email to?
Login to Me Too

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

Hi ThatGuyBigO

spoof@paypal.com

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

If you already know it is fake which of course it is then you don't need to send it to paypal.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Seymour-
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I think you're incorrect.

I was under the impression that PayPal does more than just record the offending emails. Like checking the source domain, contacting email domain administrators, reporting offenders, getting malicious websites, webpages (& their operators) shut down. If they don't, they should start.

Report them all. Always.

If I'm wrong, I hope you'll set me straight.

'Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.'
Login to Me Too

PrinceLove
New Community Member

@ThatGuyBigO wrote:
What email address could I forward the fake email to?

forward message to:

spoof@paypal.com

after forwarding your message to Spoof@paypal.com , I'd delete the received message.

Login to Me Too

firemedic0289
New Community Member

I just had the SAME thing happen to me! Selling my iPad and they wanted me to send it Nigeria. Got emails from "paypal" but nothing on the actual paypal site. I didn't send it and now they want to report me...go ahead. I saved everything.

Login to Me Too

catlin36

I just delt with the same thing.   Emails from paypal, but nothing in my paypal account.  Didn't fool me.

Login to Me Too

Felix2010
New Community Member
I had almost the same thing, asked for the item to be sent overseas, had the emails through from paypal, but I fell for it and now they have a very nice phone going to them, I'm out of pocket.... I hope karma catches up with them. It is disgusting how they do it.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.