Examples of Suspected Fraud or Fake Emails

PayPal_Andy

Hey Everybody!

In an effort to make things easier to find and research, I'm going to consolidate as many threads as possible where we have examples of people trying to defraud hard working sellers (Craigslist emails, 'PayPal' emails asking you to send money outside of PayPal, etc).  This will also be used as a master thread for future posts regarding this same situation.

When you post your examples here, please remember to not include last names or contact information of whoever is sending these emails.  There's no way to confirm if that person has been defrauded as well and the name is being used fraudulently.

Thanks for your cooperation and remember, keep the conversation productive, on task, and above all, keep it clean. I know these things can be difficult and frustrating, but bleep filled posts or posts that look like government redacted files will never benefit anyone. 😄

Andy

Login to Me Too
2,000 REPLIES 2,000

ltpham
Contributor
Contributor

What can I do when I found a bit too late? I shipped the items and now just realize I just lost my ring.

I reported my incident to the local police, IC3, the buyer's police department. i don't know what to do...can someon help me???? Please?

Login to Me Too

Seymour-
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Sorry to say but, your chances of regaining your ring are virutally non-existent.  The Police are powerless because no-one forced you to send your ring.

Consider the loss an (expensive?) lesson. After you get over the anger (& disappointment) of being ripped-off (like I was & did), get some revenge by thwarting the scammers every chance you get. Help to inform other people so they won't get ripped off.

'Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.'
Login to Me Too

slpearcy
New Community Member

We are trying to sell a vehicle and buyer says he sent payment.  I received what looks like a paypal email confirmation of payment, but there isn't a transaction showing such payment.  I also received a second email stating the below message:

"As mentioned in the receipt of Payment and as per New PayPal Payment  policy, we have fully debited the total amount (above) from the buyer's  account which includes the buyer's shipper's pick up fees.

In order to complete this transaction and get the funds approved in your account. We advice you go to nearest  Western Union Office, and send the $650.00 USD to the Agent and send usa Scanned Copy/Photograph of your Western Union Transaction Receipt (in .JPG Format)."

This looks like a complete scam to me.  Has anyone else ran across anything like this before?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Yep typical scam, see several like that a week.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

slpearcy
New Community Member

Kind of figured it was after receiving this email.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Login to Me Too

dj52309
New Community Member

I am trying to sale a cell phone on craigslist and I am getting emails apparently from paypal that say the money has been sent to my account but when I login to Paypal there is no such transaction and the person wanting to buy the phone is wanting me to send it to nigeria it sounds like a scam and I am trying to find out what to do someone please help me. This is my first and only time ever using paypal.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Nigeria = scam. The  emails are not from paypal and if you can't see the funds in your paypal account then you have not been paid.

This is a scam, ignore that person and i would only sell uk only if i were you.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

kindlegirl69
Contributor
Contributor

Do NOT do anything...actually report the incident to PayPal....I had the same thing happen and fortunately caught it in time (actually, the clerk at the PO told me).  I was able to cancel the transaction and still keep my phone and was out no $$.  Some people aren't so fortunate. 

Cancel your transaction NOW.

Login to Me Too

skeeter41
New Community Member

RECIVED TRANS.NUMBER THAT THEY RECIEVED THE MONEY.IT WAS TAKING OUT OF MY CHECKING.CHECKED MY PAYPAL ACOUNT AND IT WAS NOT THERE. AND NEVER HEARD FROM THE SELLER.I EVEN E-MAILED HER NO RESPONSE THIS WAS MAY 18TH. WELL I GUESS I GOT SCAMED I BOUGHT IT FROM YARDSALE .                                         TY    F WOLFE

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

I don't understand your post. Did you buy something and didn't receive it??

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.