Examples of Suspected Fraud or Fake Emails

PayPal_Andy

Hey Everybody!

In an effort to make things easier to find and research, I'm going to consolidate as many threads as possible where we have examples of people trying to defraud hard working sellers (Craigslist emails, 'PayPal' emails asking you to send money outside of PayPal, etc).  This will also be used as a master thread for future posts regarding this same situation.

When you post your examples here, please remember to not include last names or contact information of whoever is sending these emails.  There's no way to confirm if that person has been defrauded as well and the name is being used fraudulently.

Thanks for your cooperation and remember, keep the conversation productive, on task, and above all, keep it clean. I know these things can be difficult and frustrating, but bleep filled posts or posts that look like government redacted files will never benefit anyone. 😄

Andy

Login to Me Too
2,000 REPLIES 2,000

fractal_moose
Contributor
Contributor

The other string from the person who received a similar phishing email is /t5/About-Protections/Weird-Paypal-related-e-mail/m-p/1186065#U1186065

Again, the intended victim's REAL HOME ADDRESS was included with the email.

Login to Me Too

cmarkwood
New Community Member

I received this fraud message today:

Subject: RE: paypaI service

Your Account has been Frozen .

We regret to inform you that your account has been locked
Because you try to access your account from a strange place .
Please Login to your account and update your info and will be
automatically activate the account from link below .

Note: Please update your data within 72 hours.
Otherwise, we will close your account for your protection.

Login to Me Too

Seymour-
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

the 'respond in 72 hours" is so maybe you'll panic and make a rash decision to follow their directions.

'Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.'
Login to Me Too

New Community Member

Has anyone had a charge from Krill.com? I received one from them out of London GBR. I looked at their website and it says admin consulant for Ebay and other companies. I received a charge and have no idea what for. Never ordered anything from London.

Login to Me Too

Seymour-
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I believe it's a scam. ignore it.

Login to Me Too

adriannelaray92
Contributor
Contributor

I received an email from PayPal Support ✔ <paypal@intl_services_com> tonight. It said that they were limiting what I can do with my account. They asked me to click on a link and log into my account. I don't know if it is fake but since "paypal" isn't in the domain, I didn't click on the link. Here is what it looked like.

View your recent activity . Dear Customer, We need your help resolving an issue with your account. To give us time to work together on this, we've temporarily limited what you can do with your account until the issue is resolved. We understand it may be frustrating not to have full access to your PayPal account. We want to work with you to get your account back to normal as quickly as possible. What's the problem?

We need a little bit more information about you to help confirm your
identity.

You Must Follow This Instructions To Remove The Limitations  

1. Click On "Check It Here"

2. Login To Your Account .

3. Cofirm Your Information .

Login to Me Too

Seymour-
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

1st red flag is that official PayPal emails will always address you by your registered name, not Dear "Customer" or "Member" or your email address (which they obviously know because they're sending you the email).

Please, forward the email to spoof@paypal.com.

Login to Me Too

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

Hi adriannelaray92

Genuine ppal emails:

Always address u as Dear Full Name

Never ask u to click on links/downlads/attachments

never ask for personal sensitive info

Login to Me Too

peterenicio
Surely this is still going on and crooks move faster than we think so this fraud should be highlighted on Facebook which has an excellent way to prevent more of this kind of thing happening
Login to Me Too

Heri-TJ
New Community Member

I just received a very similar fraudulent email from a Dave S via a GMail address.

I'm glad I googled it, it read and felt very much like a scam, but I figured that by using PayPal, it would protect me against such fraud.  I actually was more concerned that the scammer in question was going to use MY PayPal information to take money from my account.  It's fascinating to me that these people (bots?) use the same exact wording in emails - although I am of course very glad for this.  It made it easier to discover the truth. 

The body of Dave's email is below:

Thank you for the mail, i am okay with the condition Likewise your asking price is quite reasonable and affordable considering others I've seen lately, I'll have it for the listed price. I'm interested and consider it sold as am buying it for my first son as a surprise birthday gift and which i don't want him to know about it until is picked up, so can you assure me i will not be disappointed? I work with the military air-force and presently in camp serving the nation which is strictly no calls. My Mode of payment is PayPal because i don't have access to my bank account online, but i have it attached to my PayPal account. Since I'm requesting this transaction to be done via PayPal, I will be responsible for all the PayPal fees/charges on this transaction, if you don't have an account with PayPal, it's pretty easy, safe an secure to open one. Just log on to paypal. I hope we can make this transaction as fast as possible. Less I forgot, I have a Mover that will come for pickup once payment is cleared in your PayPal account and they will be handling the title for me, as I look forward to hearing from you with your PayPal information as requested below.

Your PayPal e-Mail Address :
Full name:
Firm Price:
Address for Pick Up:
Phone Number:

Awaiting your response asap..

Regards.

@PayPal_Andy wrote:

Hey Everybody!

In an effort to make things easier to find and research, I'm going to consolidate as many threads as possible where we have examples of people trying to defraud hard working sellers (Craigslist emails, 'PayPal' emails asking you to send money outside of PayPal, etc).  This will also be used as a master thread for future posts regarding this same situation.

When you post your examples here, please remember to not include last names or contact information of whoever is sending these emails.  There's no way to confirm if that person has been defrauded as well and the name is being used fraudulently.

Thanks for your cooperation and remember, keep the conversation productive, on task, and above all, keep it clean. I know these things can be difficult and frustrating, but bleep filled posts or posts that look like government redacted files will never benefit anyone. 😄

Andy

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.