Examples of Suspected Fraud or Fake Emails

PayPal_Andy

Hey Everybody!

In an effort to make things easier to find and research, I'm going to consolidate as many threads as possible where we have examples of people trying to defraud hard working sellers (Craigslist emails, 'PayPal' emails asking you to send money outside of PayPal, etc).  This will also be used as a master thread for future posts regarding this same situation.

When you post your examples here, please remember to not include last names or contact information of whoever is sending these emails.  There's no way to confirm if that person has been defrauded as well and the name is being used fraudulently.

Thanks for your cooperation and remember, keep the conversation productive, on task, and above all, keep it clean. I know these things can be difficult and frustrating, but bleep filled posts or posts that look like government redacted files will never benefit anyone. 😄

Andy

Login to Me Too
2,000 REPLIES 2,000

MA-95
I got the exact same email, except this woman's name was Kimberly, who was an underwater photographer who would not be back on land until the end of next month. She even had a fancy email signature saying how much joy she had found in photographing underwater. Interesting. I requested doing an online banking transfer instead, which was denied. I requested the "shipper " bring cash instead, which was also denied. In the end, I got an email from "PayPal" saying the money had been sent but needed to be deposited. The car was due for shipping to Santa Fe, New Mexico, and "Kim" as she called herself, would need me to pay 650 out of my pocket before she could schedule the shipper. I never sent her any money, simply requests as to how to deposit the money into my PayPal account. After quick replies throughout the whole "deal" (usually a couple hours), I found it odd that it had been 3 days with no reply. Today I decided to Google how to deposit money to PayPal and came across this forum. I never would have been naive enough to actually send money to anyone who is supposed to be paying ME, but I'm definitely glad I found out the truth! I hope someone can benefit from this!
Login to Me Too

Baydabom-07
Contributor
Contributor
Oh yeah mate definitely, red flags went up straight away when "i" had to deposit cash out of my own pocket. It all seemed to good to be true though, the guy offered me $700 more than I was asking for haha. I stumbled across this forum today also after googling transaction ID number searches because they were also kind enough to send me an ID number. They're cunning **bleep**.
Login to Me Too

Seahorse4
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, its been a while since you posted, but today I have a Sgt.Hedger asking the exact same thing.  He will pay for the massage chair and its shipping and I will pay the shipper (agent, he says).  So I haven't given him Paypal info, Im sure that I would get a phony email from Paypal confirming payment.

Login to Me Too

Truckrat
Contributor
Contributor

One way to tell if the Pay Pal email is real is to look at the first letter of the address. service at ... and so forth. If service is spelt with a capital "Service" then it is fake.

Another to watch for is if it comes from PayYou instead of PayPal. It looks like a real email but watch the address line.

Login to Me Too

DM2036
New Community Member

Hi (my name),

Thanks for the breakdown. The price and condition are okay. I'm just asking about it to make sure it’s in good condition. I'm deployed out of town because I work with the Military and have been in camp for some time and due to my deployment i will not be able to come for inspection, I have a mover coming for it on my behalf.  So i am requesting this transaction should be done via PayPal so the PayPal charges are on me and PayPal is very safe and I have access to my funds there, that's the only reason why PayPal is the only payment option. I am straight up with you and I want you to be honest with me as well. Do you have a verified PayPal account?

Best Regards, Williams

Login to Me Too

Analiaf
The price is okay. I'm just asking about it to make sure it’s in good condition,I'm deployed out of town because I work with the Military and have been in camp for some time and due to my deployment i will not be able to come for it, I have a pickup coming for it on my behalf.So i am requesting this transaction should be done via PayPal so the PayPal charges are on me and PayPal is very safe and I have access to my funds there, that's the only reason why PayPal is the only payment option. I am straight up with you and I want you to be honest with me as well. Do you have a verified PayPal account? Best Regards, *That looks oddly familiar 😞
Login to Me Too

Seymour-
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Same scam, different details is all.

'Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.'
Login to Me Too

BrenSw
New Community Member

Dealing with a Lt Barry who said he is in military.  Just received his "paypal" email asking for me to Western Union $600 to carrier.

The emails and links are not legit paypal email addresses.

Login to Me Too

Joasinka

I am in the process of selling.  I thought it all started off a bit fishy.  Why would someone want to buy something without seeing it?  Why are they so desparate to pay me?  Why is he in the marines, but cannot use his bank, only PayPal?    Why is he at sea?  Why is he sending a pick-up agent? 

On reading your posts, I can see that I was wise to use my instincts.  If this is a scam, I will forward his name on here, PROUDLY, for all to see and keep away from.

Login to Me Too

sillykid

Yes..just today wanted to buy our boat. Said 16,000$ was transfered to our paypal account. could only text and email because she is in a remote area serving our country. Said she was Tech Sergeant. If I didnt know paypal as well as I do I would have fallen for the the fake paypal emails. Wanted us to money gram her 1300.00 to pay for a person to come pick up the boat. If you want more info let me know.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.