Examples of Suspected Fraud or Fake Emails

PayPal_Andy

Hey Everybody!

In an effort to make things easier to find and research, I'm going to consolidate as many threads as possible where we have examples of people trying to defraud hard working sellers (Craigslist emails, 'PayPal' emails asking you to send money outside of PayPal, etc).  This will also be used as a master thread for future posts regarding this same situation.

When you post your examples here, please remember to not include last names or contact information of whoever is sending these emails.  There's no way to confirm if that person has been defrauded as well and the name is being used fraudulently.

Thanks for your cooperation and remember, keep the conversation productive, on task, and above all, keep it clean. I know these things can be difficult and frustrating, but bleep filled posts or posts that look like government redacted files will never benefit anyone. 😄

Andy

Login to Me Too
2,000 REPLIES 2,000

kleek
Contributor
Contributor

I recieved the same email today!!  I do not know why, but something just did not feel right about this email.  Maybe because it was in my spam mail.  I done the exact same thing and went to the "REAL" PayPal site and logged in to see if I had any messages or problems.  As you, I did not everything looked normal.    Here is a copy of the email......................

also the "A" thing they have typed in did not look normal, nor the wording.  It was just not worded like a PayPal email that I have receieved in the past...  OH also when I tried to log out of my account (which thankfully I put in the wrong password) but it accepted it anyway-  it would not let me log out.  A box popped up stating that I could not log out until I verified my account.  PayPal Customers beware!!!!!  This is the first time anything like this has happen to me and I am so grateful that I thought twice before entering my bank account information.  I did put in my Name and address, hopefully that will not come to haunt me in the future.   

Good luck to you ALL and just keep in mind if it comes as spam or just does not sound right DO NOT reply and report it as spam and any other actions that you know to take to stop these scammers!!

Have a GREAT weekend everyone!!!!!!

Paypal     Case ID ID #PP-002-991-296-493

Dear Customer , Your account has been limited until we hear from you 
Reference Number: PP-002-991-296-493 Our system detected unusual charges to a credit card linked to your PayPal account. We just need some more information about your Account, You must follow this steps.   1. Pleas Copy & Past This Link In Your Browser   "paypal would not allow me to send the link ( which is very understandable)  2. Update Your Account
We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your account. 

We apologise for any inconvenience..

PayPal
Support Team
______________________________________________________________________________________
Consumer advisory- PayPal Pte. Ltd.,
Users are advised to read the terms and conditions carefully.
Login to Me Too

j9welshlambe2
New Community Member

I JUST GOT THE SAME E.MAIL..BUT LOGGED INTO MY PAYPAL ACCOUNT AND NO MESSSAGES..., FORTUNATELY THIS WENT TO MY SPAM E.MAIL SO MADE ME SUSPICIOUS.

Email not displaying correctly? View in your browser.

Dear PayPal member,

PayPal is constantly working to ensure security by regularly screening the accounts in our system.We recently reviewed your
account, and we need more information to help us provide you with secure service.Until we can collect this information, your access
to sensitive account features will be limited. We would like to restore your access as soon as possible, and we apologize for the
inconvenience.

Why is my account access limited?

Your account access has been limited for the following reason(s):

We have reason to believe that your account was accessed by a third party. We have limited access to sensitive PayPal account
features in case your account has been accessed by an unauthorized third party. We understand that having limited access can be an
inconvenience, but protecting your account is our primary concern.

Click here to remove your limitation

If we do not receive the appropriate account verification within 24 hours, we will assume your account is fraudulent and will be suspended.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation in this matter.
PayPal Security

Copyright © 1999-2014 PayPal. All rights reserved.

PayPal (Europe) S.a r.l. & Cie, S.C.A.
Société en Commandite par Actions
Registered Office: 5th Floor 22-24 Boulevard Royal L-2449, Luxembourg
RCS Luxembourg B 118 349

PayPal, London, London, United Kingdom L12 Ns
Unsubscribe | Privacy policy

Login to Me Too

Seymour-
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

These scam emails (supposedly from PayPal) end up in your Spam folder because they do NOT come from a PayPal email domain. So, the scammers have started to include statements that start with, "Even though this email ended up in your Spam folder, it is valid." or something similar to try to add validity to their scam message. Don't fall for it.

'Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.'
Login to Me Too

Tybee

I just received an email today saying incorrect paypal login and my account has been limited.  I went to my account and no messages.  So just deleted.    Thinking about changing my password.

Login to Me Too

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

Hi Tybee

Genuine ppal emails:

Always address u as Dear Full Name

Never ask u to click on links/downloads/attachments

Never ask for personal/sensitive info

Any emails not relating to the above info are phishing/fake emails

If u clicked on any links change your password and security questions immediately

If u didnt and still feel uncomfortable u can change these anytime

Forward to spoof@paypal.com if u wish to and delete any other spoofs

Login to Me Too

Hil-FL

Just got the same message - signed in to PayPal directly, no dispute, no lmitations on my account.... When I looked closely at the upper right corner of the message, I discovered this email (tiny and a little fuzzy):   e.paypal.co.uk

I sent an email to the real PayPal with the info. Fortunately, no harm done. Can't be too careful these days!

Login to Me Too

dakkota_22

I just received the same email. It was a form for me to fill out with all my personal and credit card information. It sent red flags up as normally paypal stuff comes in my inbox, not my spam folder. So I switched over to the paypal site and looked to see if anything was going on with my account and I found this forum. So glad I did. I see I am not the only one getting this email. Thank you for sharing!

Login to Me Too

Seymour-
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

PayPal will never send you a form, as an attachment, to fill in.

Congrats on NOT getting caught! 🙂

Please, forward the email to spoof@paypal.com .

'Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.'
Login to Me Too

DD51
I'm completely floored right now! It hasn't even been an hour since I first replied to this post about almost being scammed while selling my husband's jeep, and I do believe it is happening again to me at this very moment. I will let you all know how this turns out after I'm done reporting this @#*#!& to everyone I need to. WOW!!!!!!
Login to Me Too

Scarlet822
Contributor
Contributor
Forward all fraudulent emails related to pay pal to spoof@ paypal.com They need hard evidence to track down these people
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.