Examples of Suspected Fraud or Fake Emails

PayPal_Andy

Hey Everybody!

In an effort to make things easier to find and research, I'm going to consolidate as many threads as possible where we have examples of people trying to defraud hard working sellers (Craigslist emails, 'PayPal' emails asking you to send money outside of PayPal, etc).  This will also be used as a master thread for future posts regarding this same situation.

When you post your examples here, please remember to not include last names or contact information of whoever is sending these emails.  There's no way to confirm if that person has been defrauded as well and the name is being used fraudulently.

Thanks for your cooperation and remember, keep the conversation productive, on task, and above all, keep it clean. I know these things can be difficult and frustrating, but bleep filled posts or posts that look like government redacted files will never benefit anyone. 😄

Andy

Login to Me Too
2,000 REPLIES 2,000

notmyyear
Contributor
Contributor

I would like to talk to an attorney also, Please.

Login to Me Too

GPS09
I am glad I read your post, I had someone try to do the same thing to me.
Login to Me Too

Sue725
New Community Member

Same thing happened to me, everyone beware of Nigeria addresses.  My loss was a Microsoft Surface RT.  Anyone know of anything we can do?

Login to Me Too

Seymour-
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Unfortunately, your equipment is gone for good. Even if you could track down the person who ultimately ended up possessing it (possibly in Nigeria, maybe not), it would be nearly impossible (99.99%) to force them to give it back.

What you CAN do, is learn the valuable (& costly) lesson you've been taught by these losers and never, ever get caught again.

Additionally, you can continue to help educate your fellow Internet users (like you did by posting your story).

'Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.'
Login to Me Too

Jmtx1
New Community Member
I would have sent her/him a note instead, saying go to **bleep** but that's just me people like will.
Login to Me Too

brodke1

Ebay knows about this fraud ring and does not take the minimum actions, such as elimiating the fraudulaent buyers from the membership rolls, or even giving new sellers information about spoofed emails from PayPal.  This forum is the only place you can see the vast etent of this fraud ring.  The FBI has many of our reports, but this is apparetnly not a big issue fort hem either.  All we ever get is a useless form letter. 

Ebay is apparetnly trying to coverthis up.

Login to Me Too

mw147

I'm so glad I checked this forum. You saved me an expensive iphone 6 and postage, possibly more.    This Nigerian scammer 1st posed as a man in Chigago, named Craig Smith.     I was to send it to his nephew in Florida who was going abroad in 2 days.    When I agreed to all of it,  I received the fake email from paypal saying that  they received the money.   After about an hour, he emailed me again, saying it was to be sent to an address is Nigeria.

Then I became suspicious and came to the forum.   Thank the lord.  Thank you all for sharing your stories, and I hope I can save someone else.

Login to Me Too

tanyajnavarro
New Community Member

Thank God i saw this post on time! I was about to ship my phone to South Africa and good thing i have cynical family members who didnt believe that anyone would actually pay that much amoint of money through paypal just like that. Paypal email looks so genuine especially for those who are not Paypal experts. 

thanks guys!

Login to Me Too

GabrielAmeu
Contributor
Contributor

Seymour-
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

It depends on how you shipped it to them. If it was by a shipping company and you have the tracking number, notify them to STOP the shipment immediately!

'Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.'
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.