Examples of Suspected Fraud or Fake Emails

PayPal_Andy

Hey Everybody!

In an effort to make things easier to find and research, I'm going to consolidate as many threads as possible where we have examples of people trying to defraud hard working sellers (Craigslist emails, 'PayPal' emails asking you to send money outside of PayPal, etc).  This will also be used as a master thread for future posts regarding this same situation.

When you post your examples here, please remember to not include last names or contact information of whoever is sending these emails.  There's no way to confirm if that person has been defrauded as well and the name is being used fraudulently.

Thanks for your cooperation and remember, keep the conversation productive, on task, and above all, keep it clean. I know these things can be difficult and frustrating, but bleep filled posts or posts that look like government redacted files will never benefit anyone. 😄

Andy

Login to Me Too
2,000 REPLIES 2,000

fernando1969
Contributor
Contributor

i too was scammed like that i will send you a copy of this 

Login to Me Too

Jberrios
New Community Member

I was approache by the same scammers name "Robert ***** He wanted me to ship the item using a private agent by the name " Alisha Barchus-Sims in baffalo, NY. He try to get me to send $910 dollars via western union. I was getting emails from a PayPal representative by the name "Brian B James" and stated he was the one in charge of the transaction. Only wanted me to reply by email only. He also stated that the money has been credited to my account but you will not have access to it will neither be displayed in my paypal account nor be availiable for spending, Due to security purpose until i completed the trasaction by sending the shipping fees to the shipping company by the name "Zippodelivery" via westerunion money transfer. Of course i contacted paypal by phone and provided the transaction ID number, his name, and email he provided and as per paypayl the transaction ID provided was invalid, and the email he provided was also a fraud.  

Login to Me Too

elvinr1986
Contributor
Contributor

Im currently being scamed by someone known as that is a marine engineer and she was in the sea right now, I was selling my vehicle and she was able to pay the full price for it and she send me the payment and PayPal deducted from her account but everyday I check the account and nothing pending on my account, later she said that PayPal send me an email receipt and it appears on Spam, I saw the email and it looks like PayPal service and the sender was service@ the name of this company they told me that my money going to be in my account but first I have to pay to the mover of her sending $950 from my own pocket through Western Union to an address that I check on Google but it doesn't exist (HA). she accused me to be a thief cause I took the money and she was going to call to the FBI. How there are so many people doing this scam in this world? I believe in kharma what goes around comes around. People don't be fooled by this kind of people, PayPal don't ask from money to get paid from someone.

Login to Me Too

elvinr1986
Contributor
Contributor

Im currently being scamed by someone known as that is a marine engineer and she was in the sea right now, I was selling my vehicle and she was able to pay the full price for it and she send me the payment and PayPal deducted from her account but everyday I check the account and nothing pending on my account, later she said that PayPal send me an email receipt and it appears on Spam, I saw the email and it looks like PayPal service and the sender was service@ the name of this company they told me that my money going to be in my account but first I have to pay to the mover of her sending $950 from my own pocket through Western Union to an address that I check on Google but it doesn't exist (HA). she accused me to be a thief cause I took the money and she was going to call to the FBI. How there are so many people doing this scam in this world? I believe in kharma what goes around comes around. People don't be fooled by this kind of people, PayPal don't ask from money to get paid from someone.

Login to Me Too

dolphin9457
Contributor
Contributor

I just had the same thing happen to me today. I told them I refused to send 380.00 to their mover via western Union until I had cash in hand. They claimed they sent me 1'180.00 to my Pay Pal account and I kept checking it and nothing ever showed up. Then they said I needed to send the money out of my own pocket and I refused. They threated to physically hurt me and also threated me with jail time. I never received any money, so how would I go to jail. Please spare me! I could tell the emails supposedly from Pay Pal where fake, because the ones I got were very different that the actual ones from Pay Pal. When they would text me, they never responded to my questions and were only about me sending 380.00 to their movers. I have heard about these sorts of scams, why would I ever send money to someone when they are buying something from me and why would I ever ship anything without having the cash in my hand first. Never will happen.

Login to Me Too

samwolf
Contributor
Contributor

I received a text message saying he wanted to buy my computer. he haggle on the price but then said ok and said he would send me $350.00 my price was 298.00. He asked send me an email address for me to send the pics. I sent the pics and he said money was on pay pal. I received a paypal text saying to look in my spam for the confirmation that the money was there. I got suspicious and checked with ebay and paypal. no money. I received an email paypal look alike saying the money was there. the email said to send the computer to an address in Naigeria. I caught on and did not send it. they kept texting me about 10 times. I twxted back saying I qould contact ebay and attorney genersl.. they continued texting saying it was paypal. they said paypal had few oprators on duty and that I should send the article. be aware it is a scam.

@Camie1234 wrote:

This guy "Matthew *****" claimed he wanted to buy a Dunebuggie from me I had posted on a local news website. I had never bought or sold online so I was Nieve and almost fell for this scam until I had my dad look at it and he showed me that it was a scam. This guy wanted me to ship the buggie to the UK and use all these private agents and then he tried to get me to send $400 dollars via western union to his "shipping agent" before the funds woiuld be released by paypal! I was getting emails from a site that was supposedly "Paypal Services" stating that the funds had been transfered to my account, but there was a hold on the transaction. There was no funds in my account and no pending transactions. I looked up the "Transport agency" he was claiming to use and I just found alot of other people claiming they had been scammed by them as well. I sent an e-mail back to "matthew" telling him I knew it was a scam and he sent me another e-mail from"paypal services" stating that I was being reported to the FBI for fraud if his $400 wasnt' there within 24 hours!

Just wanted to warn everyone!!!

Login to Me Too

tbuns_905

Yep, just heard the same rethoric from a guy claiming to want to buy my advertised via Craiglist offering for his DAD.   Threats about the FBI, etc.   Just a mess, bad grammar, incomplete sentences, etc.   Not falling for it.    The Money Gram scam is also a joke.   Thanks to Money Gram rep Frank, he spotted this hoax in a heart beat.   Good Luck to all.      

Login to Me Too

Jess14
When you are "reported" to the FBI by a scammer what ever happens? This guy tried to get me to send him $440 via western union and told him I would not in fear of being scammed so he cursed me and said he reported me to the FBI to be arrested.
Login to Me Too

cbell
New Community Member

Hi, 

I had the same experience. Here is my scam letter.

Hello 

It is important we know the status of the merchandise purchased from you by one of our clients, with Transaction ID: 5KD849375694INT, otherwise legal action will be taken against you since you have not e-mailed us regarding the Western Union transfer information and scanned receipt of the western union transfer.

We believed you entered into agreement by requesting money through PayPal from the buyer, and by not e-mailing us with the details of the western union transfer information, you are violating PayPal users agreement in act of the 1999 Law in collaboration with the World Law Enforcement Agency.

You are mandated to transfer the sum of $650.00 SGD and email us the proof of transfer within the next 24Hrs, failure to do so would result to the involvement of the Federal Law Enforcement Agents for violating PayPal's instructions and users agreement in act of the 1999 Law in collaboration with the World Law Enforcement Agency.

We are ensuring to make Online Transaction a safer place, therefore we need to set confidence on all our users.

We request for the Western Union Transfer information from Western Union for certain Security Reasons to prove the transfer has been made within the next 24Hrs and we will fund the money into your account or you will face the consequences of LEGAL ACTION. This is done for the protection of both the seller and buyer from the ongoing internet fraud activities.

Thank you for using PayPal Online Payment !!.

Login to Me Too

shamit

Hi

I have gotten a scam email from a fraud number as well. i was trying to sell some indian kurtas on sulekha.com and got this offer from a weird name who cliamed to b a marine and on ship. he /she said that the money will b sent in my pay pal account but i will have to send shipping charges first to his weird contact in miinnneapolis who he claimed was his shipping company. 

Till then money will b on hold in my pay pal account.  i have never sold stuff so was naive.

No money was transferred in my pay pal account and then i got a fraud email  with FBI logo saying he has reported me to  FBI and said i need to transfer money via money gram within 12 hours to his shipping contact address  first and then get the remaining money in my account. 

I then looked carefully at his texts and figured out that if he could send money to me via pay pal why couldnt he do the same to his shipping contact and send them directly...!!!!

Total fake person who used some 484 area code number to contact me for this. 

BE CAREFUL ALL!!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.