Osun State

Nigeria

Make the shipment through USPS Register Mail and send the 

shipment tracking number to pay pal for verification and also 

get back to me with the shipment tracking number as soon as 

possible.

Get back to me as soon as possible.

Thanks.

Definitely a scam even though i recieved multiple emails claiming to be from paypal that looked pretty legit. Just a heads up to all paypal users out there

dezeldog
dezeldog Member
Kudos: 0

Re: Nigeria Scam

I think I am being scammed in much the same way...also Nigeria ...different person and address but the message is the same... they want me to ship the item, then tell Pay Pal my shipping tracking number and then the funds will be released..don't think it works that way?? Trying to get a real person to answer the phone at Pay Pal is next to impossible so I am reaching out to the community for help. Is what they are saying true?? I have never shipped out of the US before?

0 Kudos
Lindacon
Lindacon New Community Member
New Community Member

If you have the money in advance, then I would go ahead and ship the item, because how can you lose? 

0 Kudos
dywagner
dywagner New Community Member
New Community Member

[ Edited ]

I almost fell for this!  But something in my GUT said "don't do it"!  I called PayPal, got a real person and they told me it is a SCAM!  I then found this thread and to my surprise, the e-mail I received has the same name as the one your referencing!

Here is the e-mail I received - BEWARE!!!

Dear  David xxxz,

You have an Instant Payment of $250.00 USD from mark xxxxx.  Please note that it may take a little while for this Transaction to appear in the Recent Activity list on your Account Overview.      

Note from merchant:

i have just sent you the payment for the Goods the postage to my cousin,please quickly post it out to my cousin and let me know the tracking number

Payment Details

Purchased From :David xxxxx

Transaction ID : 3W492637HE3368307

Date

Discription

Quantity

Price

Subtotal

6/11/2012                                             

Goods

$150.00 
USD

$150.00
USD

Shipping & Handling via USPS Express Delivery to 23401: 
(includes any seller handling fees)

$90.00 USD

Shipping Insurance (offered):

$10.00 USD

Total  

$250.00 USD

Delivery Information

Address :

oribayo xxxx
*removed*
Surulere Lagos
Nigeria.

Address Status:

Confirmed 

Important Note: This PayPal® payment has been deducted from the buyer's account and has 
been "APPROVED"but will not be credited to your account until the shipment reference/tracking 
number is sent to us for verification so as to secure both the buyer and the seller.

Below are the necessary information requested before your account will be credited.

Send tracking number to us or email us through this mail xxxx and our customer care service will attend to you. As soon as you send us the shipment's tracking number to us for security purposes and the safety of the buyer and the seller,the money will be credited to your account.

**PLEASE NOTE**
Once item has been shipped and the tracking number sent to us, 
You will receive a "CONFIRMATION EMAIL"  from PayPal® Team informing you that the Fund has been credited

Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team

Copyright © 2012 PayPal, Inc. All rights reserved. PayPal is located at 2211 N. First St., San Jose, CA 95131.\ PayPal Email ID PP1557

0 Kudos
kindlegirl69
kindlegirl69 Member

Okay, I have the exact same situation.  Fortunately I didn't send item yet (got tracking # from local PO and sent to buyer) and now waiting to see if funds will be released to me ($400).  I am VERY tempted to just cancel the transaction (how do I do that?) and relist my item (iPhone) on ebay.  First time on CL and very uncomfortable w/this transaction.  Please help.

0 Kudos
almostscamed
almostscamed Member

hello! very important... go with your gut,if you feel it is not right dont do it. do not ever send $$ to a buyer,wire transfers or any thing like that..  good luck.   jeff

0 Kudos
iamtheelvy
iamtheelvy Member
Kudos: 2

Is this a scam?

I have had contact from someone interested in an item I am selling. Their last email, however, has raised my suspicians. Here's what he said:

Thanks for your mail. i would be glad to pay for it as soon as possible though i will not be available to come for an inspection due to my flexible schedule.Kindly get back to me with the following
questions below:
1) What is the condition?
2) Are you the Owner?
3) Your Pick up Location?
4) Your full name and your PayPal email id for the instant payment
I would be glad to make the payment immediately through PayPal so kindly get back to me with your PayPal ID. You need not to worry yourself about title transfer and shipment,i will instruct the shipping company to handle that..
Thanks and hope to read from you soon.
I personally feel that I shouldn't continue with this transaction, but would you feel otherwise?
jomoin
jomoin Member
Kudos: 1

Re: Is this a scam?

I received a very similar sounding e-mail in reply to an item I'm selling on Craigs List....can you share the buyer's fist name? It is rather unique...  I'm not comfortable with the offer either...

0 Kudos
iamtheelvy
iamtheelvy Member
Kudos: 2

[ Edited ]

Email came from a <name removed>.

0 Kudos
jomoin
jomoin Member
Kudos: 1

Mine came from a "Bent", but after some research, this is a scam.  I just copied and pasted his whole message into a Google search and found several articles where the very same language had been used in various scams on Craigs List....an attempt to steal account info, apparently.  Good luck!