Examples of Suspected Fraud or Fake Emails

PayPal_Andy

Hey Everybody!

In an effort to make things easier to find and research, I'm going to consolidate as many threads as possible where we have examples of people trying to defraud hard working sellers (Craigslist emails, 'PayPal' emails asking you to send money outside of PayPal, etc).  This will also be used as a master thread for future posts regarding this same situation.

When you post your examples here, please remember to not include last names or contact information of whoever is sending these emails.  There's no way to confirm if that person has been defrauded as well and the name is being used fraudulently.

Thanks for your cooperation and remember, keep the conversation productive, on task, and above all, keep it clean. I know these things can be difficult and frustrating, but bleep filled posts or posts that look like government redacted files will never benefit anyone. 😄

Andy

Login to Me Too
2,000 REPLIES 2,000

Lucky7_Deals
Contributor
Contributor

To BoscoPCoalTrain, even if someone does give you a credit card that you're able to accept, it doesn't mean that you're in the clear. Ultimately, you have to decide on whether or not a party is trustworthy and choose to either complete or decline a transaction with them. It could be that the card was stolen, and if you approve the transaction, the true owner will later claim an unauthorized charge, and you will have your funds taken away and end up losing the merchandise that you handed over to the thief (who is long gone by now). So yes, if you think that someone is scamming, just decline the transaction and say that you can't go through with it.

Login to Me Too

garybeebe
Contributor
Contributor

I was asked to pay by money order when I aiireadey paid through paypal ,what do i do?

Login to Me Too

blondieslp
Contributor
Contributor

Don't ever send money by way of WU. I got defrauded that way. It was a mess. This was early on when people were not as aware of this kind of tactic.                      So be careful!!!

Login to Me Too

Johnlee125
New Community Member

I just bought an item from this guy and sent him several E-Mails about when its being shipped. The address he listed is invalid. can you check this out for me. I have already paid for the item.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi Johnlee125 and welcome to the forums!

When did you make the purchase? Was it on eBay? You can file a claim for non-receipt if you haven't received an item, but it's generally a good idea to give it at least a week. It could be something as simple as a mistyped email.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

stauber57
New Community Member

I HAVE ONLY ORDERED INK FOR MY COMPUTOR AM I BEING SCAMMED

Login to Me Too

terradoll
New Community Member

hi, i received an email stating that my paypal account is now under limited access. it wants me to click a link then log into my paypal account. Is this a scam or is there really a problem with my account?

Teresa

Login to Me Too

pbonbrest
Contributor
Contributor

I got an email from a guy who saw an ad for my bike on Craigs list claiming he is out to sea working as a marine engineer and buying the bike for his kid, sight unseen.  He insists on paying me via paypal and will send someone to pick up the bike after the payment is made.  Sounds a bit fishy, but how should I proceed? Any thoughts on my risks here here?

Login to Me Too

albace86

I got almost the exact same story, only she claims to be an oceanographer out to sea in France.  I was looking for an answer to your question too. But since you got the same story around the same time, I'm going to say yes.

Login to Me Too

KELLANIE
Contributor
Contributor

Need help trying to figure out if I am being scammed. Posted a ring on craigslist & got this hit from a lady(?) overseas, states she has deposited the money in a escrow & waiting for the tracking number to finalize payment.....but when i talk to paypal they cant fond anything as far as a payment has being sent.....HELP

THANKS!!!!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.