Examples of Suspected Fraud or Fake Emails

PayPal_Andy

Hey Everybody!

In an effort to make things easier to find and research, I'm going to consolidate as many threads as possible where we have examples of people trying to defraud hard working sellers (Craigslist emails, 'PayPal' emails asking you to send money outside of PayPal, etc).  This will also be used as a master thread for future posts regarding this same situation.

When you post your examples here, please remember to not include last names or contact information of whoever is sending these emails.  There's no way to confirm if that person has been defrauded as well and the name is being used fraudulently.

Thanks for your cooperation and remember, keep the conversation productive, on task, and above all, keep it clean. I know these things can be difficult and frustrating, but bleep filled posts or posts that look like government redacted files will never benefit anyone. 😄

Andy

Login to Me Too
2,000 REPLIES 2,000

Momof2Lboys
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All,

I recently listed a living room furniture set and had an inquiry from a gentleman.  I specifically said CASH ONLY in the listing but he is requesting paying me through PayPal.  He originally asked for my email so he can send me the money and will have a company pick up the furniture.  He said he wants more pictures of the furniture as his work schedule isn't allowing him time to come view the set. 

I explained I wasn't comfortable giving him my email and that I would much prefer CASH.  He then said that I could send him an invoice, which seems to be fine but I am so leery of using PayPal. 

What would you all suggest.  I REALLY want to sell this furniture as we are going to be moving BUT I don't want to be dealing with account hacking while trying to move either.

Any suggestions?  Would sending an invoice be secure.  He isn't asking to pick up the furniture before paying me.  He will send the money before the furniture is picked up but that doesn't seem right either.  Is he willing to trust me to not run with his $$???  I just don't know what to do!

Here is his email requesting PayPal info:

Thanks for the swift response, just to let you know that am okay with the condition and price of the item, am ready for its purchase and my form of payment will be through PayPal. Please take the item off Craigslist so no other buyer can ask about it.I'll be responsible for the pick-up and the pick up money will be included in your payment to avoid delay and to enable pick up company schedule an appropriate time for the pick-up at your location after the payment has been made and confirmed by PayPal. If you don't have an account with PayPal at the moment it is very easy to set up. Visit there site (www.PayPal.com.us) and get it set up. After this is done all i will be needing to make this payment is your PayPal email which you have used for registration with PayPal so as to put the money through.
I would have love to come for the viewing but due to my work frame that might not be possible,but if you have the more pics i might want to have a good look.
Please do get back to me with your PayPal email so that i can proceed with the payment asap.
Regards
Login to Me Too

myharley
Contributor
Contributor

This buyer is a scammer; they just did the same thing to us with a car we have on craigslist.  wanted us to take $1250 of our own money and wire it to their shipping agent and then after that we would get the payment through paypal.  Said she was a marine chef at sea with limited access to internet - no credit cards with her, etc.  Don't give them any of your info.

Login to Me Too

Momof2Lboys
Contributor
Contributor

I sent him a message last evening stating I would take cash only and haven't heard from him since.    It was odd, he wanted to send me the money asap and seemed so pushy in his email.  I just didn't want to pass up a sale but so not worth dealing with a scam or putting my bank info and accounts in jeopardy. 

Login to Me Too

monsterkx
New Community Member

We were selling bike parts and we were approached by somebody who wanted to purchase fromCanada and have it shipped to a Washington Address. He had every excuse for not being able to see the parts although he siad he was going to be driving down this way the week after.. I was not leary of this at first. WE have a lot of Candadian bike racers looking for parts. But my husband was leary and did not go through with this.

Please let me know if you get anymore info on these types of repsonses from Craigslist? I am expecting to SEE the person and hand them the item and make sure they like what they are getting? Not all this pay pal , long distance etc? 

Login to Me Too

ripedoff

do not use paypal you will get ripedoff I got took for $540.00 get paid in cash only do not use paypal you will lose your butt

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Andy

Hey all,

It's terrible that people want to try to take advantage of you and defraud you of your items.  Based off of the wording on the emails that were included, I'd say at about 98% certainty that these were not going to be legitimate payments. 

One thing that I would suggest to protect yourselves regarding the situations laid out here; If you're planning on having the item hand delivered or the buyer picking it up, PayPal may not be your best payment solution.  While we are secure as far as your information goes, if the buyer comes back and says that they didn't receive the item, we're going to ask for tracking to see that the item was actually delivered.  If that can't be provided, you would lose your dispute.  Matter of fact, hand delivery essentially voids our Seller Protection Policy.  So I would absolutely insist on cash for these types of transactions and I applaud everyone here who has insisted on that.

Andy

Login to Me Too

honeymontana
Contributor
Contributor

I hope you never went any further with this ??? buyer.  In my opinion it is a scam.  I had a very similar instance.  The

guy worked off shore.  Wanted to pay by paypal but first I should send money top his agent so they would pick up, etc.

etc.  I did a good bit of research and sure enough I would just have been out many $$$.  Good luck.

Login to Me Too

oathka
Contributor
Contributor

I  sold the camera on Ebay and a buyer contacted me via email that she transferred money to my Paypal account and later I got  an email from Paypal to infrom the transaction and asked me for tracking number. It is my first international transaction and I had no idea about scam because I did visit this board before. I got several emails from both a buyer and Paypal that a buyer did over payment and I needed to send money back by Western Union. This made me feel not right then I did the reserch and see there are many scam.

I ship the item on May 17,2011

I just back from the post office with upset because a person who took care of me told the item already out of the USA last night. I just found out this situation last night so can not do anything that time.

I did serch the contact at Ireland post office and email them hope somebody can get my item return.

Seemed I lost my item and never got money.

What can I do or should do now?

Thanks.

PS. I wrote to Paypal about this last night and tried to email the emails I got to sproof@paypal.com but it return to me. Which email I can contact?

Login to Me Too

ROSSANDPINK
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for the prompt response and the pics am happy to hear back from you , am serious and ready to buy it from you for your listed price, but i insist on paying through paypal cos thats the only means i can do for now as am in the camp at the moment busy with my platoon replacing the troops scheduled to go home.I was serving in Naval Base Point Loma, in San Diego, CA ,before been deployed to Joint Base Balad ,70 miles north of Baghdad. I just want it as a surprise for my dad at home and am sure he will be glad when he receive it .
Kindly send me an invoice from paypal or create an account with Paypal and send me an invoice or money request from paypal for the payment . I will also take care of the shipping and the pick up as am arranging with one at the moment . I hope its still in good condition as am trusting you on this
Thanks and God Bless
Just been deployed not quite long and will still be there for about 12 months, we are busy at the moment with the rest platoons replacing the troops that are scheduled to go home .
Hope you can consider me and get back to me soon.
Thanks
Thanks for the trust and your candid support over this transaction and the invoice sent from paypal  .I was just about to make the payment when i had this little problem with the picking up,I got an email from my agent..i thought i included that in my previous email.he said he won't come and pick up unless i pay him the agent commission fee first in order to be able to schedule a pick up time,and my pick up agent head quarters is in the Concord NC and all commission payments made for pick up, from anywhere in the world is sent to their head quarters in the Concord NC,  and the only form of payments they accept is western union money transfer and i tried to pay online but i will need a credit card which i didn't bring along, and there is no post office, i will include  $500 which they charged to pick it up (1st class delievery), to the payments i will send through paypal. After i have made the payments and it has been confirmed by paypal you will receive a confirmation mail from them, immediately you receive the confirmation i want you to go and send the$500 to my pick up agent through western union money transfer, the western union money transfer can be made at a western union office near to you,there is always a western union agent in most western union or online at www.westernunion.com .I will be making the payments shortly and will email you as soon as it has been done.Hope to hear from you soonest.
Thanks.

Hello,
    I just want to inform you that i have just completed the payment and i hope you must have been notified in your email about the payment i made through PayPal, you can check your e-mail for confirmation of payment, I have just make the payment of $4,600 ,i have decided to add the amount of $600 which i paid through PayPal, So please i will like you to complete the transaction by wire the sum of $500 to my agent via western union so he can be able to come for the pick up and also PayPal said they won't release the funds until they get the western union information from you due to the fact that i emailed them about the excess payment i made.i will need you to send the $500.00 to my pick up agent Headquarters where they normally confirm any commission payment to via western union money transfer(this can be done from the western union office,or online at (www.westernunion.com) as they usually have a western union agent there) , i added extra $100 to cover the western union charges which shouldn't be more that $60-75 but just to be sure i added $100, Here is my pick up agent Headquarter info needed to get the money sent through western union money transfer

**removing name/address**

City:Concord,
State:NC
Zip code: 28027

Hello , i have been worried so far as i did not hear back from you since , i hope you are busy that's why you did not get back to me on time . Well , i will appreciate if you can get back to me now so we can figure how to complete the transaction with Paypal ,so your account can be credited fully and that the agent can come for the pick up and the shipping afterward.
Pls do not hesitate to get back to me and let me know your intention .
Thanks and God Bless

Login to Me Too

Abes31
New Community Member

That looks familiar.  Got the same exact e-mail.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.