Examples of Suspected Fraud or Fake Emails

PayPal_Andy

Hey Everybody!

In an effort to make things easier to find and research, I'm going to consolidate as many threads as possible where we have examples of people trying to defraud hard working sellers (Craigslist emails, 'PayPal' emails asking you to send money outside of PayPal, etc).  This will also be used as a master thread for future posts regarding this same situation.

When you post your examples here, please remember to not include last names or contact information of whoever is sending these emails.  There's no way to confirm if that person has been defrauded as well and the name is being used fraudulently.

Thanks for your cooperation and remember, keep the conversation productive, on task, and above all, keep it clean. I know these things can be difficult and frustrating, but bleep filled posts or posts that look like government redacted files will never benefit anyone. 😄

Andy

Login to Me Too
2,000 REPLIES 2,000

cqui
Contributor
Contributor

I just had the same thing happen to me. I'm selling a boat, motor and trailer on craigs list.. Laura ****** said she was interested in it. She insists on sending money to my paypal account and having a third party shipper pick it up. She want's my name and paypal account to send the money and then the shipper will ariange the pick up, title transfer and have the equipment to pick it up if I give her my place of residence? This looks like it might be a new scam! Who buys a used boat sight unseen? The email address is Italian. She says she is too busy to do all that herself?

Login to Me Too

nme00108
Contributor
Contributor

The same thing happened to me as well. I posted an ad on craigslist and facebook. I'm selling my Dell 14-R Laptop. The same person replied back to both of my ad's. (on craigslist and facebook.) They claimed their name was Elizabeth ****** and that they were staying in Nigeria as part of a job transfer. It was similar to the scams on a special on dateline with Chris Hansen.

Login to Me Too

SpinMasta
New Community Member

Same thing just happened with me selling a $5,500 mountain bike.  I'm curious how this scam works but really don't want to get involved enough to find out.  I mean come on are you serious?  I asked the buyer some questions to confirm identity and she readily got back to me with more vague answers avoiding any specifics.  So i think i'll toy with her until she stops e-mailing me unless she gets REAL!  If i can't talk to her in person then she simply doesn't exist and even then i would need to feel comfortable like fax me a copy of your drivers license, etc.

"Hi ,

Thanks for the swift response, just to let you know that am okay with

the condition and price of the item, am ready for its purchase and my

form of payment will be by  PayPal.I would have really love to come

for the viewing but due to my work frame that might not be possible as

am on work inspection to Mexico at the moment and I do not have phone

right now due that i lost it on my way on this trip,but if you have more

pictures, might want to have a good look at it.

I'll be responsible for the pick-up and the pick up money will be

included in your payment to avoid delay and to enable pick up company

to schedule an appropriate time for the pick-up at your location after

funds has been received as i have other properties to be moved

alongside with yours.

All i will need is your PayPal email address to make the payment and

then I will make arrangement for pick up.I will be expecting your

email.

Thanks.

Alice"

Login to Me Too

teddy1211
Contributor
Contributor

I just had the same experience on a $3000 watch. And my email was worded

almost exactly like yours:

"Thanks for the swift response, just to let you know that am okay with

the condition and price of the item, am interested in buying it.  I can't come get

it because I work all days............

I'll pay you for the shipping. All i will need is your PayPal email address

to make the payment."

Legits just don't do business like that.  I'm sure there are people who believe them

and I really feel bad for them.

Login to Me Too

CourtneyP
I'm trying to sale a $300 treadmill. I got the exact same email from a man named Bob. Hard to trust anyone now days and sad thing is I'm new ro saling on craigslist. Glad I have a place to go when I feel something dosent feel right or I feel suspicious.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Andy

Hey all, just thought I'd take a moment to address your concerns with this issue.  'Cause we certainly don't want anyone losing out on their item or money.

First, let me just say that there are many transactions that go through Craiglist without any problems.  Happens all the time.  But there are always people out there trying to take advantage of others and I'm glad that everyone on here seems a little suspicious; there's nothing wrong with a little healthy suspicion. 😉

Ok, getting into things.  Typically with these types of scams (if they are), you'll receive multiple emails that all say they're from PayPal telling you the payment is available to you, you just have to furnish a tracking number.  Some of this seems a little different since they're all asking a 'shipper' to pick up the item.  So they may try sending emails telling you the money's there and you can have it once the shipper picks up the item.  This is NOT how PayPal operates.  We may hold your funds temporarily, but you'll still be able to see them in your account.  So if any of you choose to go through with these sales, make sure you log into your PayPal account to validate the money's there and don't rely on email notifications.

Second (or third, if you're counting), the fact that they want to have someone pick the items up is disconcerting.  One of the touchstones to our Seller Protection Policy is that the item is shipped and has online tracking.  If it's picked up by hand, that voids our protection.  So if the 'buyer' comes back and files some kind of dispute, you'll lose. Sorry to be blunt, but we would have no way to verify that anything had actually been delivered. And korsakov, while you may have terms with a buyer to not file a dispute with PayPal, that's not going to stop them from doing so if they choose. 😞

So, this turned a little into a diatribe. Sorry, didn't mean to go there.  But really, using PayPal's name to try and defraud people is...annoying.  I hope this helps you all out and anyone else that's thinking of selling online, not just with Craigslist.  These scams are extremely prevalent, but if this ramble can keep just one person from losing their merchandise, I consider that a win.

Andy

Login to Me Too

cqui
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Andy! The deal about selling a working fishing boat in a lake recreation area having a stranger outside of the area is a first clue something is amiss. And to send the money through paypal is awkward to begin with. Someone is going to be niped in time, I just didn't want to be the first one!

Login to Me Too

Jeffpilot

I just received a similar 'scam' from an original painting I posted for sale on a legitimate online art gallery. The reason I jknow the 'buyer' is fradalent..and I believe this same person using another ID tried the same stunt several months ago (I was not fooled then either): Their 'greeting' was not American..in nature.

I decided to investigate..so even though they registered as on the website..the street address sounded 'fishy.' I checked with USPS (POst Office) online..street does NOT EXIST in Brooklyn,NY.

When I received the letter that 'she" wants to send her 'shipping agent' to pickup the painting IMMEDIATELY after 'she' deposits $$ into Paypal was another 'red-flag.'

I wrote back..saying that I need a verifiable STREET ADDRESS to ship the item..and I wanted to know 'what is a 'shipping agent?' This scammer is good..'she' replied that she is currently on a ship..in the Navy (hmm,..Somalia Pirate Navy??)..very 'cool sounding.'

Again..most people 'fall victim' to this nonsense. I gave a deadline of 2 days to produce confirmation of a true shipping address..I REFUSE to allow a 'SHIPPING AGENT' to show up on my doorstep. Furthermore..I semt a copy of my correspondence to 'security' at the online art gallery./ It is strange that out of ALL MY LISTINGS..this so called 'buyer'..dids not 'blink an eye' and 'offered 'FULL PRICE' instead of 'bidding' at a much lower price.

BEWARE OF SHIPPING AGENTSA>.it is bogus. I nearly got scammed 5 years ago when I first joined ebay..I received an 'urgent' letter that my account was about to be terminated if I did not IMMEDIATELY re-type my username, passcode, etc. I made the mistake (luckily I had NOT joined Paypal in the early days)..and these creeps got into my account..and 'posted' a giant screen TV. Something did not 'feel' right after I typed my pascode and sent to the 'link.' I immediately contacted Fraud Investigators at eBay the next day after I realized my account was tampered with..and I learned of 'scams' and 'phishing.'

Good Luck..My advice..DO NOT give out your Paypal Info..if the 'offer' is too good to be true..and if the 'buyer' wants their 'representative' to pick it up. They will probably claim thAT THEY NEVER RECEIVED THE ITEM FOR THEIR 'UNCLE'..AND if they actually used Paypal..they will start a 'dispute'..to not only get a refund from you..but to also keep your item..which they ;'claim' they did not get. Beware of those wishing to WIRE..or send OFFICIAL BANK CHECKS. They will 'overpay'./..on a false check..and ask for the 'difference.'

Login to Me Too

cqui
Contributor
Contributor

I just got another one from my craigslist ad! Want's to buy it for their "wife" in Ohio! I'm toying with them. I just wish I could get them busted!

Login to Me Too

cqui
Contributor
Contributor

A third one just came! What is mmm.com? And they want me to respond to another email address-comcast.net.. Comcast doesn't care. Craigs list doesn't care. This leads me to the conclusion I may not want to use craigs list anymore! Talk about a waist of my time!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.