Examples of Suspected Fraud or Fake Emails

PayPal_Andy

Hey Everybody!

In an effort to make things easier to find and research, I'm going to consolidate as many threads as possible where we have examples of people trying to defraud hard working sellers (Craigslist emails, 'PayPal' emails asking you to send money outside of PayPal, etc).  This will also be used as a master thread for future posts regarding this same situation.

When you post your examples here, please remember to not include last names or contact information of whoever is sending these emails.  There's no way to confirm if that person has been defrauded as well and the name is being used fraudulently.

Thanks for your cooperation and remember, keep the conversation productive, on task, and above all, keep it clean. I know these things can be difficult and frustrating, but bleep filled posts or posts that look like government redacted files will never benefit anyone. 😄

Andy

Login to Me Too
2,000 REPLIES 2,000

PayPal_Olivia

Hi izador,

Welcome to the forums!

Log into your account and check your transaction history. If you did not receive a payment to your account, then any notification you received is probably fake. Even if funds are held pending delivery, the transaction will show in your account.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

sexton123
Contributor
Contributor

Hi PayPal users, I was scammed to where I almost lost my business on Craigs List. This was for $7000. I have a website www.leesurenail.com and also a patent and 10,000 rings. This person even gave me her address in Hawaii. I tracked this address down on my computer and I got the phone number to the appartment. I called there and the person on the other end told me that he didn't now that person. I then got a hold of the police in Honolulu and the FBI. Just today I have recieved an email from this person wanting me to send her some pictures. This is not Physhing it is a takeover of my business. It is grand theft. It looked like this payment was made through PayPal. It was right there in my account. I might sue.......

Login to Me Too

hhnurse35
Contributor
Contributor

I received a few emails from someone that wants to purchase 2 cell phones that I have for sale. He is "Paying an extra $100 for shipping overseas, but it should only cost $40 or so".  I gave them my Paypal e-mail address and then started doing a little research and now I think it is a scam. Can they access any of my account info and hurt me financially if all I gave them was my e-mail address for Paypal? Can they hurt me other ways? Should I contact Paypal? How should I proceed? I need input on this, please. Thanks!

Login to Me Too

ScrappyHappy
Contributor
Contributor

This is a common scam. Back out and only deal locally. They are probably using a hijacked Paypal account.

Login to Me Too

laniastra
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for asking the question because I was asking the same one. Did it sound like this?

"Thanks for the prompt response.. I am ready to buy it now for birthday gift for my son and i am at sea at the moment  as i am an oceanographer  and due to the nature of my work, phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i  squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I really want it to be a surprise for my son so i wont let him know anything about it until it gets delivered to him, i  am sure he will be more than happy with  it. I insisted on paypal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can  pay from my paypal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your paypal email address and  the price so i can make the payment  asap for it and pls if you don't have paypal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go  to www.paypal.com and get it set up, after you have set it up with paypal so as to put the money through.

I have a pick up  agent that will come and pick it up after i have made the payment.

Thanks"

Login to Me Too

TwinCitiesJim
Contributor
Contributor

WOW!  Thanks for posting this information.  I JUST ended a scam that was exactly like the one above.  Here's how it went - notice the spelling errors and poor usage of grammar.

Sent: Sunday, March 13, 2011 2:13 PM
Subject: Re: Armoire or Entertainment Center - $1800 
Thank Am Ok with the price $1,850.00  i will make the payment in to your paypal accountas soon as i here back from you. there  is  a  little problem with the shipping agent, I am currently on sea and i am buying the it  for my dad as i explained earlier on and i tried to book pick up  with my pick up agent, but they asked me to pay first before they can make the booking, and they only accept western union money transfer for payments and they dont accept paypal or  bank  transfer and I tried to send the money online but i couldnt, i'm tired now, i dont know what to do.. I am on sea and there is no way i can find a western union agent to make the transfer to my pick up agent. I will like to know if, its  ok for me to include my pick up agent's fees in the payments I'm about to send to you  through paypal, my pick up agent charged $600 plus insurance and all 'o that, after i have made the payments you will help me forward the $600 to my pick up agent through western union money transfer, this I would have done myself and not bother you but, for the fact that I am currently on sea,  it will be difficult for me and i will like the whole transaction to be done as soon as possible and i can be the next owner.  I only seeking your consent before going ahead with the payments. I will so much happy to hearing back from you soonest and i can go on with the payment without any delay.  Please email me as soon as posible
Thank you
Login to Me Too

yragnow
New Community Member

I just received exact same email, and I mean EXACTLY. Notice the item is never mentioned specifically. Just "it" or "item". Plus there's always some jive **bleep** excuse for being unavailable and needing 3rd parties to pick "it" up. I don't know what they hope to accomplish short of backing out after they've paid with a hijacked papal acct. then requesting a wire transfer or maybe a papal payment to some overseas account. Oceanographer my **bleep**!  Did not provide my papal address, but if you did, I doubt anything bad might happen unless you have a really weak password (they might try to hijack your accnt) or if you send them money back, god forbid. 

As much as I hate these scammers, I cannot help but to admire their brazen and ingenious tactics to trick the unsuspecting. It's so despicable, especially when I think of innocent vulnerable folks. But there is that old saying, "You cannot con an honest man,"  I don't know if it's 100% true but the point should be well taken...if you're looking for apparent easy money, watch out! You're an excellent candidate for a big disappointment. 

Login to Me Too

TwinCitiesJim
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much yragnow for your reply and suggestion about the password.  I did give the **bleep**, er, I mean scammer my email address, but I just went back in and changed my password to a very strong one, according to the pop-up window. 

Login to Me Too

KathyGatt

Amazing!!  Ditto on the EXACT scenario, oceanographer, buying for son, out to sea, yada yada.  I think this individual uses cut and paste for the body content!  There must be a way to trap this/these individual(s) and get their info to local authorities. I get stuff like this on my craigslist adds constantly, which I pretty much recognise after their  first few words. Other sellers, however, may still be a bit nieveto these scams and get taken.

WARNING!!!  The scammers absolutely CAN get into your bank account through the PayPal info you would give them.  My bank informed me of this, and although the bank would cover the fraud I was told by my bank it could take up to 6 months before I would recover any money lost through this.  Major  Bummer!!

Is there any way to track where these are coming from? 

The word of a couple of arrests in this area would get around quickly and possibly deter future scammers from preying on the unsuspecting elderly, young, or just plain trusting individuals. (Possibly!)

Spread the word, be not too anxious for that "too good to be true" sale, and good luck on your selling adventures!

Login to Me Too

KathyGatt

You should contact your bank regarding this. My clients bank account was wiped out through someone having her PayPal info. Also, my own banks manager warned me of this happening more and more as of late. I opened a dedicated account specifically for PayPal, and only keep a minimum amount in it for Ebay/PayPal transactions. I immediately move any substantial amount made into my personal account. I can handle temporarily loosing a small amount for the 6 months it would take for my bank to reimburse the loss, but it would sure cause me grief if it was anything larger.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.