Examples of Suspected Fraud or Fake Emails

PayPal_Andy

Hey Everybody!

In an effort to make things easier to find and research, I'm going to consolidate as many threads as possible where we have examples of people trying to defraud hard working sellers (Craigslist emails, 'PayPal' emails asking you to send money outside of PayPal, etc).  This will also be used as a master thread for future posts regarding this same situation.

When you post your examples here, please remember to not include last names or contact information of whoever is sending these emails.  There's no way to confirm if that person has been defrauded as well and the name is being used fraudulently.

Thanks for your cooperation and remember, keep the conversation productive, on task, and above all, keep it clean. I know these things can be difficult and frustrating, but bleep filled posts or posts that look like government redacted files will never benefit anyone. 😄

Andy

Login to Me Too
2,000 REPLIES 2,000

Kent_B
New Community Member

I recieved A reply from a lady  from craigslist offering a extra $100.00 to ship overseas.

She Bought a ring like the lady I am replying to. The address is in Nigeria with street address

ending with Bus/Stop.  ( 6 Aderupoko Street Hamadiya Bus/Stop)

I don't think that sounds very safe. Is that it's done over there? who would sign for it?

I guess I'll send it to spoof@paypal.com
 I also got the message that my funds would be released once the tracking # has been sent.

Login to Me Too

justi_underwood
New Community Member

I just had this exact thing happen. Lady wanted it shipped to Nigeria and was going to pay an extra $170 and I received an email saying the funds would be transferred once I shipped the item and got a tracking address. When I called the lady out on it, the facebook she was sending the e-mails from was deleted.

Login to Me Too

blondieslp
Contributor
Contributor

By all means, don't send her anything. Its said that those who are really honest cannot depend on others to be the same.                 Sherry

Login to Me Too

Cornechr
New Community Member

This is what he posted to me. I am a bit leary.

Hi thanks for reply, i am a marine engineer, i am at sea right now. I am buying this for my Uncle as a gift. I can  only pay through paypal at the moment as i don't have access to my bank account online(i don't have internet banking with it), but i have it attached to my paypal account, and this is why i insisted on using paypal to pay,all i will need is your paypal email address to make the payments, and if you don't have a paypal account yet, you can set one up at www.paypal.com  it cant take you less than 3mins to do that, i will be expecting your paypal   email so l can pay.  I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick up after payments has been sorted, and also do get back to me with your best offer.

l will be waiting for your reply asap

Login to Me Too

pbonbrest
Contributor
Contributor

Cornechr - This is the exact message I recieved - word for word..... Scam!

Login to Me Too

mylowsac

i have the exact same email word for word then wants u to send money to a place in vegas to get ur payment then u get an email for paypal services R(with a circle around the R) saying this is safe looks just like a paypal page it has to be scam

Login to Me Too

Whynot13

Just got my questions answered.  here is the email i received today.  Wow somebody has been busy on craigslist.

First I got this one:

Hi there, i am very interested in your listing,and i will like to make
an offer of $28,500, and i will also like to know if the car is in a
very good working condition. Let me know if you accept my offer i will
pay through paypal and i will also arrange for the pick up after i
have made the payment.

Cheers!

It was then followed up by this

Hi thanks for your mail,I will not be coming to view it because of my
Job,i am an Marine Biologist and i am buying this for Dad, i am at sea
right now, and i am glad you accept my offer.I can only pay through
paypal at the moment as i dont have access to my bank account
online,but i have it attached to my paypal account, and this is why i
insisted on using paypal to pay,all i will need is your paypal email
address to make the payment,and if you dont have a paypal account
yet,its pretty easy to set one up at www.paypal.com,i will be
expecting your email.I have a pick up agent that will come for the
pick up after payments

was too good to be true on first day of listing

Login to Me Too

dermitage
Contributor
Contributor

I purched a item but now He wants me to take more to use it.

I ask you right after I bought the thing to cancel it but you took it ot within 2or 3 hours.

Now I am out my money because you have never paid anything for me so quick.

Login to Me Too

StupidDave
Contributor
Contributor

Does this sound familiar?  From other posts and my own opinion, I assume this is a scam, but wonder how I can find out for sure.

My Mother-In-Law gave me the nickname as a joke, but she isn't too fond of the icon PayPal gave me.

Login to Me Too

StupidDave
Contributor
Contributor

OOPS!  Forgot to add my scammers message.  Guess my M.O.L was right about the nickname.  Here's my scam:

Re: Aerbus

Chieun <removed>Add to Contacts

To:

Dave <removed>

Thanks for the reply, i am a sailor, i am at sea right now so l wont be able to check the item but l need more details about the item and also l will be more happy if you can send me some pictures of it because am buying this for my son as a surprise gift so am willing to offer you the amount you required. I can only pay through PayPal at the moment as i don't have access to my bank account online(i don't have internet banking with it), but i have it attached to my PayPal account, and this is why i insisted on using PayPal to pay,all i will need is your PayPal email address to make the payments, and if you don't have a PayPal account yet, you can set one up at www.paypal.com  it cant take you less than 3mins to do that, i will be expecting your PayPal email so l can pay. I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick up after payments has been sorted. l will be waiting for your reply asap

(PayPal: Chieun <removed>’s phone # is:  *removed*  in Kingston Jamaica. Please note the sequential numbers.  Also yahoo.com is an address I made for this particular contact. DMH)

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.