Examples of Suspected Fraud or Fake Emails

PayPal_Andy

Hey Everybody!

In an effort to make things easier to find and research, I'm going to consolidate as many threads as possible where we have examples of people trying to defraud hard working sellers (Craigslist emails, 'PayPal' emails asking you to send money outside of PayPal, etc).  This will also be used as a master thread for future posts regarding this same situation.

When you post your examples here, please remember to not include last names or contact information of whoever is sending these emails.  There's no way to confirm if that person has been defrauded as well and the name is being used fraudulently.

Thanks for your cooperation and remember, keep the conversation productive, on task, and above all, keep it clean. I know these things can be difficult and frustrating, but bleep filled posts or posts that look like government redacted files will never benefit anyone. 😄

Andy

Login to Me Too
2,000 REPLIES 2,000

moonsea
Contributor
Contributor

Yep, here's the one I got today in response to a $2000 racing bike I posted on Craigslist (from <removed> at both yahoo and gmail):

Thank for the prompt response to my inquiry. I'm satisfied with the condition of it as advertised in the listing,i want to be the best offer by adding $100 to your money then keep other offers off .I would like you to know that i am really interested in buying this for my father,payment will be through PayPal and the pick up will be arranged by me as i will have my agent come down to pick it up...i will be waiting to hear from you,and i will like you to send me the name and email address on the PayPal account to send the payment and send me more pics of this item if available since i would not be seen it in person so i can pay it right away I am a busy at work and do not have much time around me.if you don't have pay pal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to www.paypal.com and get it set up , after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with pay pal so as to put the money through, Make sure you get back to me so that we can arrange for pick up as i will like the item to be picked at your residence,so no shipping.

Thanks and reply asap.

Login to Me Too

dave357
Contributor
Contributor

Got a guy that says he wants to buy my motorcycle. He says he will pay me by PayPal. Can he pull his money back after I deliver the bike? How long do I have wait to get the money out of my account?

Login to Me Too

Lucky7_Deals
Contributor
Contributor

Well, that all depends. PayPal has various buyer protection policies for goods paid for through their service. First of all, are you selling this bike on ebay? If so, then be careful how you proceed as the buyer can infact file an item not received or an item not as described claim against you at PayPal and can get his money back. Secondly, even if you're not selling this bike at ebay/ebay motors, PayPal still offers the buyer some purchase protection, especially if this is a case where you'll be personally delivering the bike to the buyer (or the buyer will come to you to personally pick up the bike), as that way there won't be a shipment record of any kind. When there is no proof of shipment or delivery (such as a tracking #) PayPal tends to side with the buyer and give them their money back. The other thing that you need to be concerned about here, is if the buyer files an unauthorized payment claim (i.e. they claim that someone else without permission used this account to make an unauthorized purchase). Even in this case, PayPal's policy is that they need to see proof of shipment from you the seller in order to not take the money away from your account.

To me, it sounds a little suspicious why the buyer wants to send payment through PayPal unless this is a case where you'll be shipping your bike in a freight box or something (in which case be sure to get a signature confirmation service proving delivery... PayPal needs to see a signature for the shipment of goods valued over $250). If the bike is being hand delivered in person, or is being picked up in person by the buyer, then insist on cash so that the buyer has no opportunity to scam you later.

Login to Me Too

dave357
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, Thanks for the info. This Dude has just tipped his hand, he has sent me a bill wanting me to Western Union $850 to his shipping agent. He claims that the money to me to pay for the bike and pay me back for fronting the agent will be released to me once I send the WU info to him. This is scam all the way.

His bill is one my payable page now. Is there a way I can alert PayPal and maybe get info on him to turn over to the police?

Login to Me Too

dave357
Contributor
Contributor

Update: Phony emails set to spoof@paypal. PayPal tracing email address to lock down the scammer. Another low life foiled. Good guys win!!!  Smiley Very Happy

Login to Me Too

WEll, tracing an e-mail address is like finding a penny on the street. i.e., not a Big deal.

Glad you didn't get ripped off, but don't hold your breath thinking anyone is gonna catch this guy, and

thus far what has he done? Nothing but fail to make a deal with you?

Don't be so foolish next time.

The big bad paypal police aren't gonna find this guy or do anything to him.

YOU are the one who has to be careful about every transaction to avoid getting ripped off.

Get paid first!

Get paid first!

And, get paid first!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi older-and-wiser,

You're absolutely correct that the first and most important line of defense against scammers is to be informed and cautious before entering into any transaction. That's the best way to make sure that you, individually, are protected, and everyone can do it.

The benefit to forwarding scam emails to PayPal is that sender information is collected and used to prevent the same scammers from using the same channels to continue operation. Without those reports, scammers can operate unchecked. Is one report going to do the job? Maybe not... but NO reports will definitely not do the job. Every report helps.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Andrew8468
Contributor
Contributor

Well I guess I am in the same boat.  Just received an email from an ad posted on Craigslist for a couple of old cellphones.  Say he is willing to pay fullprice plus shipping to send the phones to his brother in West Africa and he wants my PayPal email address.  Sounds suspicious to me.

Login to Me Too

hotbob
New Community Member

i paid for all the items i bought,on1-10-1-14.why have the people not been paid.it come out of my account the next day.i get emails from people,wanting to know why they have not been paid.i paid sundaymonee on 1-10 ihave a receit,but you want me to pay again. and why are you so slow to ship,as much as you charge.

Login to Me Too

BoscoPCoalTrain
New Community Member

I just had the same offer to pay wu $850 plus another $150 for a boat I'm selling.  It just seemed fishy.  I told the idiot that I don't have $850 plus the wu fee of $150.  I should tell him to give me a credit card number and I will run it for the amount.  In reality if it smell, taste, walks, and quacks, like a scam then it is.  The person that I'm supposed to send this wu lives in Costa Rico for the registration of the boat to his shipping company.  The buyer told me he was a marine biologist and that the only way to contact was by email.  He would be out in the middle of some ocean doing research.   Well my gut instinct told me that he must be one of those pirates over in Somalia wanting to scam money off of us.  Good luck!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.