Examples of Suspected Fraud or Fake Emails

PayPal_Andy

Hey Everybody!

In an effort to make things easier to find and research, I'm going to consolidate as many threads as possible where we have examples of people trying to defraud hard working sellers (Craigslist emails, 'PayPal' emails asking you to send money outside of PayPal, etc).  This will also be used as a master thread for future posts regarding this same situation.

When you post your examples here, please remember to not include last names or contact information of whoever is sending these emails.  There's no way to confirm if that person has been defrauded as well and the name is being used fraudulently.

Thanks for your cooperation and remember, keep the conversation productive, on task, and above all, keep it clean. I know these things can be difficult and frustrating, but bleep filled posts or posts that look like government redacted files will never benefit anyone. 😄

Andy

Login to Me Too
2,000 REPLIES 2,000

Snow-Cat
Advisor
Advisor

Good tip !

If you have not already done so, you can forward the email to PayPal's spoof address.

* Forward the entire email to:    spoof@paypal.com.
* Do not alter the subject line or forward the message as an attachment.
* Delete the suspicious email from your inbox.
* Never click on any links within the email or open any attachments.

Look at the email address domain and wording in the email, grammar, salutation, spelling, etc.  If any of these are questionable, it's most likely a spoof.

Login to Me Too

Mariau1988
New Community Member

I got an email from <removed> it seemed suspicious so I want to confirm

Login to Me Too

Snow-Cat
Advisor
Advisor

Perhaps a spoof.

* Forward the entire email to:    spoof@paypal.com.
* Do not alter the subject line or forward the message as an attachment.
* Delete the suspicious email from your inbox.
* Never click on any links within the email or open any attachments.

Look at the email address domain and wording in the email, grammar, salutation, spelling, etc.  If any of these are questionable, it's most likely a spoof.

Login to Me Too

enkei_nto3
Contributor
Contributor

i posted a phone and selling it online,, few minutes after someone message me and trying to buy it right away and planning to ship it to nigeria(her name is sarah <removed> and wants me to ship it to this address " <removed>" under david <removed>) so she ask my paypal email so i gave it for the payment process... after that she told me that she's buying it and paying it right away, few minutes later i got an email from paypal stating that i received a payment of $280 but i need to send a tracking no. for it to appear on my account.. is that legit? coz im seeing scams on nigeria..

Login to Me Too

Grazie846
New Community Member

So guys... I was trying to sell a car on a Brazillian website that works like Craiglist. After negotiating with a guy so called "Dean <removed>" I received the following email: "<removed> 05/03/2018 22:05 I already made the payment and paypal has deducted the money from my account, and the money will be credited to your account once you send $1,500 USD to the shipping agent's INFO through WESTERN UNION TRANSFER and send the payment receipt to paypal so they can confirm the payment and release the total amount into your account immediately, you have to send the shipping agent's fee so paypal can credit your account and the shipping agent will come to you and move the Item ...you must have been notified about all this. Name: Jennifer <removed> <removed>" I received an email from <removed> with a so called "guarantee" and a receipt. Please be aware, community.

Login to Me Too

Ksjxtra
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal

Dear email

Thank you for recently adding PayPal funds to your account. This email is being sent to confirm that your account refill has been successful. You may now log in and use your funds. do not know with transaction ? please click the link below

• Reference No: 5E7954836Y00692UK
  • Amount Deposited: $75.00
  • Refill Convenience Charge: $2.20
  • Date: Mar 6 2018 5:15AM
  • Billed To: Paypal account Jodie <removed>
  • Account Balance: $50.00
  • Account Available Balance: $50.00

LOGIN NOW

Sincerely,
PayPaI

Login to Me Too

tcwilson
Contributor
Contributor

I received this email with this content supposedly from PayPal Support:

Details of your order,

You are receiving this email as you have made payment through e-Gift cards on March 2018. Amount US$112.08 The summary is attached in PDF format in this email.

If you are, you can ignore this message

If not, you can cancel this transaction by following steps inside Attachment (PDF).

Thank you for choosing us.

Best Regards,

PayPaI lnc

There was a PDF attached to this. When pdf was opened it showed that I had made an order from GooglePlay,  If I wanted to CANCEL, hit the button in the document.  This took me to a website that looked very PayPal-like, but then started asking me for all kinds of personal info.  I was initially ok with confirming my name and address, but then I had to start confirming bank accounts and credit cards.

This seems out of wack.  Would anyone else agree that this is bogus?

Login to Me Too

meowcat
New Community Member
hi i got the same email-its SPAM-delete it and change your paypal password immediately. Paypal will never send anything to you as an attachment. Mine also mentioned e-gift as in someone sending me payment but whenever someone pays with an echeck paypal will just email me to say to not ship until the echeck clears. Also the english in mine was very broken-big red flag. Next time just forward the email to spoof@paypal.com and paypal will check it out for you. NEVER open attachments because often they are phishing for your personal info like credit cards etc-btw if you gave them your credit card account numbers contact your cc company immediately.
Login to Me Too

emynotso41
New Community Member

Hello.  I am trying to sell on Craigs list and ebay.  I have had a couple of offers on both sites.  When I request money from them it shows that it is pending and I get this email asking me to mail my item to them and to put the tracking number in this email before my money is transferred. Is this a scam? Or is this a normal way of transacting?  I have not done any of it because I feel this is not right.  So my question is, once I request money from someone who is purchasing my item will I be getting and email from PayPal to send a tracking number before I can get my money?  Or will the money be added to my account balance right away?  Please get back with me as soon as possible.

Thank you.

Login to Me Too

Erbravo
New Community Member
Hi. Dumb question. I got an email about a security alert and to complete a dorm resubmission. Asking for card number info. When I opened the email it had an individuals name. Is this legit? Don't want to five any info out that I shouldn't. Thanks
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.