Examples of Suspected Fraud or Fake Emails

PayPal_Andy

Hey Everybody!

In an effort to make things easier to find and research, I'm going to consolidate as many threads as possible where we have examples of people trying to defraud hard working sellers (Craigslist emails, 'PayPal' emails asking you to send money outside of PayPal, etc).  This will also be used as a master thread for future posts regarding this same situation.

When you post your examples here, please remember to not include last names or contact information of whoever is sending these emails.  There's no way to confirm if that person has been defrauded as well and the name is being used fraudulently.

Thanks for your cooperation and remember, keep the conversation productive, on task, and above all, keep it clean. I know these things can be difficult and frustrating, but bleep filled posts or posts that look like government redacted files will never benefit anyone. 😄

Andy

Login to Me Too
2,000 REPLIES 2,000

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@stitch123

Yep spoof.

Paypal would never tell you to click on a link to confirm your details etc, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution centre to resolve any issues.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

vakharia

The link provided as solution to this thread does not work anymore.

It simply shows a page 

After spending 30 minutes, I figured out there is no easy way to report a phishing email to PayPal. 

All the old links are broken - perhaps PayPal has redesigned the content.

I have today received an email 
Note  Thanks for placing order ( Iphone 6s Black 32GB )

Your account was logged into from a new browser

From    : Taiwan
IP Info   : 58.12.142.216
Date     : March, 22 March 2017 08:55:20

Order Description: Iphone 6s Black 32GB
From   : Aliexpress
Price   : $ 450.0 USD

Login to Me Too

vakharia

The link provided as solution to this thread does not work anymore.

It simply shows a page "We are sorry"

After spending 30 minutes, I figured out there is no easy way to report a phishing email to PayPal. 

Login to Me Too

raydavis
New Community Member

I got this on an email address not aligned to my Paypal account :

Reply|
Yesterday, 7:06 PM

Inbox

PayPal

Dear Paypal Customer,

Please note that your account will expire in less than 48h.

it is imperative to conduct an audit of your information is present, otherwise your account will be destroyed.

To go back into your Paypal Account, you'll need to comfim your account details

1. Click the button to open a secure browser window.

<removed> 

Sincerely,

PayPal

I am not going to respond to this, is Paypal going to cancel my account or is this phishing?

Login to Me Too

Quandary
Advisor
Advisor

* Forward the entire email to:    spoof@paypal.com.
* Do not alter the subject line or forward the message as an attachment.
* Delete the suspicious email from your inbox.
* Never click on any links within the email or open any attachments.

Login to Me Too

DrE99
Contributor
Contributor

Never click on the links in an unverified email.  the sender address misspelled paypal as paipal...

Screen Shot 2017-11-07 at 7.16.07 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-11-07 at 7.16.24 AM.png

Login to Me Too

Tennscgirl
New Community Member

Is there an email scam going around right now for Google Play Gift Cards?  I keep getting emails every few days about my Pay Pal account being charged for $5.00 or $25.00 for Google Play Gift Cards.  It goes on to say "This isn't you?  Resolve Now" but when you click on that it wants all your information.  This is not something Pay Pal would do.  

Login to Me Too

Misingnlalaland
New Community Member

Yes, I just posted here about receiving one of those. It was right after I made 4 purchases from ebay using paypal. I received the scam email at the email address I use on paypal. I don't know if the scammer found me through ebay hack or what. ............ The scammer conveniently provided a link just in case I thought that I didn't make 5 Google Play purchases for $25. I don't immediately click on links in my emails so I avoided going to their fake website and they were not able to get my paypal password.

Login to Me Too

jimg2
New Community Member

Yes i had this just now.  Its extremely convincing and worrying.  It would have been more so but it went to an email address thats not linked to Paypal so i think they're just spamming the message. 

The email appears to come from '<removed>' its extremely well layed out with graphics and text in Paypals style.  The title is "Receipt for Your Payment to Google Store".  The transaction shows as "Google Play $50 Gift Code" When i click and hold my finger on the "Resolve Now" link I can see the URL goes to <removed> without actually opening it.

J

Login to Me Too

0seanyboy
New Community Member
I forwarded it on to spoof@paypal.co.uk and deleted it. Normal purchases have my name and not my email address on them. Better to let them deal with it
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.