Examples of Suspected Fraud or Fake Emails

PayPal_Andy

Hey Everybody!

In an effort to make things easier to find and research, I'm going to consolidate as many threads as possible where we have examples of people trying to defraud hard working sellers (Craigslist emails, 'PayPal' emails asking you to send money outside of PayPal, etc).  This will also be used as a master thread for future posts regarding this same situation.

When you post your examples here, please remember to not include last names or contact information of whoever is sending these emails.  There's no way to confirm if that person has been defrauded as well and the name is being used fraudulently.

Thanks for your cooperation and remember, keep the conversation productive, on task, and above all, keep it clean. I know these things can be difficult and frustrating, but bleep filled posts or posts that look like government redacted files will never benefit anyone. 😄

Andy

Login to Me Too
2,000 REPLIES 2,000

kariKanada12
Contributor
Contributor

I just received an email from Peter Green stating my account was suspended and I should fill out a form and submit it.

<image removed>

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@kariKanada12

Its a spoof.

Paypal would never tell you to download attachments or put info in a link about your paypal account.

If there was a problem with your paypal account they would tell you to log in normally and go to the resolution centre.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

kariKanada12
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for the verification. Wanted to advuse PP of the scam.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@kariKanada12

Send it to spoof@paypal.com     Smiley Happy

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Chepr
Contributor
Contributor

I recieved this one. You've received a payment Hello <removed>, The total sum of $420.00 USD that was transferred to you by <removed> has been fully deducted from the payee's account which includes the Transport/Delivery Charges and is ready to be transferred into your your own account, but before the transaction can be finalized you would have to pay the Transport Charges to the Transport Company. In order to complete this transaction and get the funds credited into your account, you have to go to your closest WU Office and transfer the excess sum of $250.00 USD to the Transport Agent and send us a Scanned Copy/Photograph of your WU Transaction Receipt (in .JPG Format). Below is a step by step guide on how to make the transfer: 1. Go to any WU Office close to your home 2. Ask for a WU money transfer form. 3. Fill the form with the address details provided below. 4. Tender the cash and you will be issued a receipt after the money has been sent 5. Attach and email a scanned copy of the receipt to us or type out the details on the receipt such as : Sender's Name; Receiver's Name; MTCN; Amount Sent; The payment will be released into your account shortly after the WU receipt has been received from you. All you have to do now is to proceed with transfer of the $250.00 USD from your possession through WU Money Transfer to the address and ensure you email us the required details so that we could verify the transfer and then credit your account accordingly. We want you to understand that this transaction cannot be cancelled nor recalled by the sender (<removed>) as a security measure to protect both you the Seller and the Buyer so you have 100% assurance that you will get reimbursed as soon as the WU information is received from you. Click Here Locate Nearest WU Outlet Transport Company's Agent : <removed> Yours sincerely, PayPal.

Login to Me Too

Seymour-
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

definitely a scam.

please forward to: spoof@paypal.com so they can try to track the originator(s).

'Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.'
Login to Me Too

kelly221
Contributor
Contributor
I had the same thing but it was my car&€900 the fbi are a company about racing pigeons. I reported this to action fraud I've since had another one about me winning €9,999 but I'm to send €500 first.
Login to Me Too

PaleHorse1
New Community Member
Same thing just happened to me. Exact same scam: funds won't be released until I pay $1680 for shipping fees via a Wal-Mart Western Union location.
Login to Me Too

Suhly

From my post selling a 2001 Kawasaki ZRX 1200R on ksl.com:

l am ready to buy it now for my pastor and i am not in town at the moment as i am technician and due to the nature of my work, It hard to make a phone calls because am dealing with air conditional . I really want it to be a surprise for my pastor so i wont let him know anything about it until it gets delivered to him, i am sure he will be more than happy with it. I insisted on paypal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my paypal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your paypal email address and the price so i can make the payments asap for it and please if you don't have paypal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to www.paypal.com and get it set up, after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with paypal so as to put the money through. I have a pick up agent that will come and pick it after i have made the payments...
Thanks.

Amanda.

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

If "she" doesn't have internet banking, she couldn't very well deal with paypal, could she?

These scammers are getting dumber all the time.

"air conditional" - sheesh.Smiley Very Happy

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.