Examples of Suspected Fraud or Fake Emails

PayPal_Andy

Hey Everybody!

In an effort to make things easier to find and research, I'm going to consolidate as many threads as possible where we have examples of people trying to defraud hard working sellers (Craigslist emails, 'PayPal' emails asking you to send money outside of PayPal, etc).  This will also be used as a master thread for future posts regarding this same situation.

When you post your examples here, please remember to not include last names or contact information of whoever is sending these emails.  There's no way to confirm if that person has been defrauded as well and the name is being used fraudulently.

Thanks for your cooperation and remember, keep the conversation productive, on task, and above all, keep it clean. I know these things can be difficult and frustrating, but bleep filled posts or posts that look like government redacted files will never benefit anyone. 😄

Andy

Login to Me Too
2,000 REPLIES 2,000

Seymour-
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

It is a scam. If it's not, I'll pay for the shipping!

Know what Nigeria's 2nd highest domestic money producer is?    the 419 scam. scamming foreigners out of their money electronically.  As soon as I saw 'Nigeria', that was all I needed. I get 4-8 emails PER DAY, EVERY DAY from Nigeria or related to Nigeria in some way.

Ignore everything related to this transaction and sleep well tonight.

They will try to apply pressure (usually escalates) to get you to follow through with the transaction.  Believe me, there are ALL hollow threats they cannot follow thru on. Do NOT be intimidated.

Now they've got some of your info (email), you'll probably be added to other scam lists. BE on your GUARD!

'Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.'
Login to Me Too

Seymour-
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

scam.

Login to Me Too

Seymour-
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

The scam may simply be to collect your information right now (as much as they can) to target you for a future scam.

Don't give out your information if you don't feel confident about and trust who you're giving it to! It's simply not worth it.

Since googling her name brought you here, I'd say it's a safe bet, it's a scam of some sort.

Login to Me Too

desertscout
Contributor
Contributor

Pay-pal won't list something as 'pending' unless you have made a request for payment to that person's e-mail. If they have had funds placed for payment, you get them instantly- there is no 'hold' contingent on shipping or anything else.

Login to Me Too

BigDog25
New Community Member

IMPORTANT UPDATE!!!!

This Amanda <removed> (<removed>)  is now also using <removed>,  so be very leary of any email from this person!

Login to Me Too

BOVM
Contributor
Contributor

i am glad i have  founded this Forum

It is a total Scam.. I knew it from the beggining but i continue talking to them , here are the responses ...

To:
XXXXXXXX
Thanks for the prompt response.. I am ready to buy it now for my dad and i am not in town at the moment as i am a Network instillation manager and due to the nature of my work, It hard to make a phone calls and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I really want it to be a surprise for my dad so i wont let him know anything about it until it gets delivered to him, i am sure he will be more than happy with it. I insisted on PayPal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my PayPal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your PayPal email address and the price so i can make the payments asap for it and please if you don't have PayPal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to www.paypal.com  and get it set up, after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with PayPal so as to put the money through. I have a pick up agent that will come and pick it after i have made the payments...
Cheers....

I was just about to make the payment when i had this little problem with the picking up,I got an email from my agent..i taught i included that in my previous email.he said he won't come and pick up unless i pay him the agent commission fee first in order to be able to schedule a pick up time ,and my pick up agent head quarters is in the US and all commission payments made for pick up, from anywhere in the world is sent to their head quarters in the US and the only form of payments they accept is International Western Union and i tried to pay online but i will need a credit card which i didn't bring along, and there is no post office(there is usually a International Western Union section in have to ask you to help me with the pick up fees, i will include the $400.00 they charged to pick it up and take it my home(1st class treatment), to the payments i will send through PayPal. After i have made the payments and it has been confirmed by PayPal, i will need you to help me send the $300.00.00 to my pick up agent through Western Union money transfer, the Western Union online transfer can be made at a Western Union office near to you,there is always a Western Union agent in most Western Union or online at www.westernunion.com .I will be making the payments shortly and will email you as soon as it has been done.
Hope to hear from you soonest.

Thanks.

i Asked for her number and gave me this
Okay this is my number +<removed>

i got this response

I have just made the payments now and i expect PayPal to have emailed by now if not you can check your spam or junk  ail  for the confirmation, i sent $900.00 USD in all, added $500.00 USD meant for pick up and delivery and the western union fee also and the insurance, they said they have emailed you to this effect, you will need to send the $400.00 USD to my pick up agent via western union money transfer,so that PayPal can credit the $900.00 USD into your account as soon as you have emailed the western union details to them, Here is the pick up agent info needed to get the money sent through western union money transfer:

Name:<removed>
Address:<removed>,
               Great Falls,MT.
               United State.

I will need the details of the transfer once you have sent fund . . .
1.The MTCN number that is the 10  digits number on the Western Union  receipt
2.Sender's name and address used in sending the money
3.Actual amount sent
  Move...InboxBILLSEFILE-CABINETHOAIMFT PAY STUBSMails ImportantesMIGRACIONESNETGEARPODER DE ATRACCIONPRIMERICAREFLEXIONES 

then i got this fake email from Paypal

Hello xxxxxxx

This email confirms that Amanda<removed> has sent you $900.00 USD
View the details of this transaction here:

Payment Details

Transaction  ID :  0TR19308DU070764T

Login to Me Too

BOVM
Contributor
Contributor

This is the last email i got supposed to be from paypal

askig me to send the 400$ to the scammer

Hello XXXXXXXXXXX, We received your mail about the transaction between you and (Amanda <removed>) we want you to know that the money have been deducted from her account and it cannot be reverse so you will have to send the money,we have deducted from money from her account so will like you get the money sent,we can't refund her money back to her account due to many scam online so we will be very grateful if you could complete this transaction,we are doing this to protect both of you.we assure you that will be responsible for any lose. Thank you for using PayPal! The PayPal Team

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

@BOVM wrote:

This is the last email i got supposed to be from paypal

askig me to send the 400$ to the scammer

Hello XXXXXXXXXXX, We received your mail about the transaction between you and (Amanda <removed>) we want you to know that the money have been deducted from her account and it cannot be reverse so you will have to send the money,we have deducted from money from her account so will like you get the money sent,we can't refund her money back to her account due to many scam online so we will be very grateful if you could complete this transaction,we are doing this to protect both of you.we assure you that will be responsible for any lose. Thank you for using PayPal! The PayPal Team

Yeah, it's a scam.  Paypal knows how to spell and generally used a North American sentence structure.

Just ignore them - they hate that.

Login to Me Too

Seymour-
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

It is a common scam to send overpayment and ask to have the overpayment sent somewhere else.

Login to Me Too

zoepereira

The last post here was 2010- but just to let you know they are back on the scene!!

I got an email yesterday regarding the sale of my Motorbike that she was very intersted in buying as a present for her son but she is a marine enginer and doesnt have access to online banking and needed to send the money via paypal. Gave me the details to set up pay pal if i didnt already have an account with them!

So today she sent me £1550!! £500 for shipping fees £150 for western union and then £950 for the bike.

Then tells me to go to western union and send her shipping company £500 and then when i confirm this with PayPal.Co.Uk they will send me the money straight away... Really She/He it must think we are so stupid.

So i replied to the PayPal email telling them what for and i replied to her telling her what for!! I dont think i will hear from them again but unfortunately there are people that fall for stuff like this, so make sure that if there are any suspicions whatsoever do not complete the transaction- i googled her name and this came up straight away!!

Fake Fake Fake!!!!!!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.