Examples of Suspected Fraud or Fake Emails

PayPal_Andy

Hey Everybody!

In an effort to make things easier to find and research, I'm going to consolidate as many threads as possible where we have examples of people trying to defraud hard working sellers (Craigslist emails, 'PayPal' emails asking you to send money outside of PayPal, etc).  This will also be used as a master thread for future posts regarding this same situation.

When you post your examples here, please remember to not include last names or contact information of whoever is sending these emails.  There's no way to confirm if that person has been defrauded as well and the name is being used fraudulently.

Thanks for your cooperation and remember, keep the conversation productive, on task, and above all, keep it clean. I know these things can be difficult and frustrating, but bleep filled posts or posts that look like government redacted files will never benefit anyone. 😄

Andy

Login to Me Too
2,000 REPLIES 2,000

Davidtorkieh99
Contributor
Contributor
Hi the same thing happened to me the guy sent me fake emails of payment confirmation so I sent him my laptop but still don't have the money so did you get your money and if so how?
Login to Me Too

Seymour-
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I wish I had better news.

There is no money coming your way. Whatever you sent this scammer is now his unless, you can contact the shipping agent you used to send him your stuff and have them stop the shipment. If you paid any kind of advance fee, you've lost that too.

The Paypal confirmation emails are faked. A close check should reveal any flaws.

'Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.'
Login to Me Too

Joasinka

This is a huge WARNING  to you all:-  I have nearly been scammed by a TW**T named Scott <removed>, who, incidentally is a marine engineer.  Wow - who would have guessed!!!!!!!!!!!!!  The following is what he has just sent me, by email.  :-

I was just about to pay when i had this problem with the pick up, my pick up agent says i will need to pay for the pick up before they can schedule a pick up time, they charged me £170 for pick up and delivery, and payments for pick up made through them is made to their corporate international head quarter which is in the united state  and the payments is made through western union money transfer, i will add the £170 to the money i will send through paypal as soon as i have made the payments, i will email you and let you know and please i will need you to help me send the money to my pick up agent head quarter in the united state through western union money transfer, this can be done from any post office ,there is always western union money transfer  section in most post offices(you can do it online as well at www.westernunion.co.uk)..., i would have done it myself but we can't bring some of our personal effects along  such as credit card, i am a little incapacitated.....You can get back to me with your address so that i can  suggest nearest western union location for you ...I will appreciate your help here.

Login to Me Too

1highway
New Community Member

Had the same thing happen by a grub who claimed to be Tom ****** using the technique through paypal via western union for 900.  There alleged address in in Brixton England but the name of the company is Latvian.  The emailer has problems with his english but the MO is exactly the same.  I received a text on my mobile phone asking him to email him on an email supplied.  The give away is the country id on the sms was 44 but Australia uses 61 so be ware, paypal does not ask you to send money to get money.

Login to Me Too

aussietrent
New Community Member

UAB"Kuršiu *****"  or 'George *****' tried that on me. Long story short is this turd sends a fake email posing as paypal (I checked my account & there was no evidence of his deposit) and to get the cash for the car, you have to go to Western Union & deposit your own cash and miraculously he will avail the ficticious funds.

PLEASE DONT FALL FOR THIS! IT IS A SCAM! 

Login to Me Too

theburgers3

lol you wouldnt believe the amount of people who fall for this ridiculous scam lol

Login to Me Too

Sukipoo
Contributor
Contributor

I don't think you should b laughing people. I don't think that's LOL.

Login to Me Too

Seymour-
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

If we can't laugh at our mistakes (AND learn from them) then, where does that leave us?

The fact many, many people fall for this very simple scam is a given, judging by the scam's popularity.

If the scam's aren't successful, they don't last long or spread very far.  Scammers 'go' where the money is.

"Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice, shame on me."

Once you've been 'stung', chances are low you'll get stung again. Your radar's up and pretty much everything's a scam to you...at the outset. heheheh. but that's okay. better TOO safe... than sorry (again!).

It does take some time to go from super angry (@ the scammers AND yourself) to being able to laff about the incident.  What helped me is, I now educate potential victims about scams. I do it purely for a selfish reason... it makes me feel better. Man LOL Added bonus by-product is that other people get helped.

'Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.'
Login to Me Too

emilykrombas
New Community Member

I am being scammmed by 'George' too - thank you for the heads-up. How do I get rid of him?

Login to Me Too

familiaof4
Contributor
Contributor
The same thing happened to me but her name was jessica something and she was emailing to my direct email.she wanted me to send 1200 dollars through western union to her shipper in Ga...I called pay pal and they said it was a scam..when I called her and her friends out on what she did for my car...she said she was to busy in the office to call...I rather use cash payment to sell. It makes it less confident to buy anything on the internet anymore...be careful...they are trying it on a lot of people
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.