Examples of Suspected Fraud/Fake Emails

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello everyone!

One of the greatest strengths consumers possess against fraud and phishing is education and collaboration.  To help support your safety online, I'm going to open this special thread up for you.  Here, you can post examples of what you believe to be attempts by individuals to defraud you or others of their hard earned valuables and money. 

Before we begin, a few housekeeping points:

• We will be using this as a "master thread," so if we find an example in other areas of the boards, we may merge the post into this one.

• For everyone's safety, please remove any last names or contact information (including email addresses) from your examples.  In many instances, the names provided by fraudsters are fake or may actually be the name of someone they already defrauded. 

• On that same note, please don't ever attempt to confront a fraudster or attempt to track them down.  Instead, turn the information you do have over to your local authorities. 

• Please also remove any links from your posts, as these could potentially go to spoofed or phishing websites.

Other than that, we only ask that you keep it productive and stay within the Forum Decorum and posting guidelines.  I'll be stopping in on a regular basis to clean house and comment on posts, so don't be surprised if you see my mug - or another moderator - stopping in to say hello! 

With that said, I'm going to start moving posts in, so you might see some older examples mixed in with the new posts.  I hope this thread becomes a great resource for everyone!

Stay safe,

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too
1,006 REPLIES 1,006

marbear
Contributor
Contributor

LOL oh boy here's another crap name to add to the list.

Ian <removed>

Nigeria 

These people honestly have low life.

They offered $150 for my kobo ereader lol

The first picture that came up in my head is maybe (her) friend is bored in nigeria and wants to real literature book.

So to sum it all up, I reported it to paypal and I sent these people basically a hate mail plus threat mail just to scare them off a bit lol.

Login to Me Too

joy91bagel
Contributor
Contributor

I recieve the exact text from this exact person saying the exact same thing and keep asking me to send out my item ASAP. Thank God I didn't. Total look like a fraud to me.

Login to Me Too

love4drums
Contributor
Contributor

This justs happened, Communication back and forth- (selling a ps3 bundle as we speak)

Details about Sony PlayStation 3 Slimline Video Game Console 500 GB Black PS3 PAL Boxed NEW 271419520581

Johnny <removed> Add to contacts 05:57
To: me
Good Moorning,

I just went through the listing of your item and would like to know if
i can purchase it for an amount of £600,00 GBP plus including shipping
internationally through Local Post International Royal Mail 7days
Delivery. If so,i would be happy if you can end the auction for me now
and send me a PayPal payment request to my email
<removed> I am serious with this as i promise not let
you down with the purchase of the item.i will surely get back to
you.Looking forward to hearing from you.
Johnny<removed>
Thanks.

Reply-
RE: Details about Sony PlayStation 3 Slimline Video Game Console 500 GB Black PS3 PAL Boxed NEW 271419520581‏

Kieron <removed> 20:36
To: Johnny Amonde

I'll look into this and get back to you, What would the destination be? and do you understand that £600 is $1003.56 USA? Just want to make sure your aware of the conversion before commitment.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%C2%A3+to+%24&oq=%C2%A3+&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.5879j0j8&sourceid=...

Re: Details about Sony PlayStation 3 Slimline Video Game Console 500 GB Black PS3 PAL Boxed NEW 271419520581‏

Johnny <removed> (Add to contacts 20:38
To: Kieron <removed>
Picture of Johnny <removed>
Thanks you very much am very happy for your fast respond i just want
to send this item to my son study in West Africa has a Birthday Gift
here is the shipping address bellow

Address:<removed>
Zipcode:23402.

so kindly can you get back to me with your PayPal email address for
the payment so that i can make the payment now to your PayPal account
today without any delay

waiting to your fast respond.

While looking into this my brother pointed out some information about sending things to nigeria so to do the right thing i emailed the coresponding section........

.......Shipping Restrictions
When you send a parcel to Nigeria, the parcel has to make it through customs before it can arrive at its destination. Customs will examine items sent through to Nigeria and take necessary action on items that comply with Nigeria's list of prohibited and restricted items. If you send an item that is on one of these lists, you risk losing the item completely as it can potentially be destroyed if discovered by customs. Therefore, it is vitally important that you know what can and cannot be sent to Nigeria before prepping your parcel.

Various military equipment such as arms, ammunition, firearms and their accessories cannot be sent to Nigeria and will be intercepted by customs if discovered in a parcel. Nigeria also prohibits all forms of hardware material, including computer hardware and general hardware such as utensils, plumbing equipment and tools. Both infectious and non-infectious materials are not permitted into Nigeria as they risk spreading foreign diseases, whilst radioactive materials and various forms of currency are also prohibited.

Licenses are required for various medications such as penicillin and similar substances. Furthermore, precious stones and elements such as silver or gold cannot be imported unless their value is lower than 5 francs. In addition, used clothing and some other fabrics require a certificate of disinfection.

Going by this, if I send this to the destination you requested, there is a high chance it would be destroyed on inspection. Do you still want to proceed?

I Got No Reply.

I then was shown this forum. So I emailed him again trying to get a location out of him.

RE: Details about Sony PlayStation 3 Slimline Video Game Console 500 GB Black PS3 PAL Boxed NEW 271419520581‏
Kieron <removed> 22:04
To: Johnny <removed>
Picture of Kieron <removed>
Can I ask were you are based yourself? maybe I can send it Direct to you and you can deside weather you want the risk of sending it your self?

Again I Recieved No Reply.

Its now been about an hour, I think I may of just saved myself from a fraud nightmare?.

Please share the Name and Address use. Stay safe.

Login to Me Too

orderaccepted

I was lucky enough to be contacted by a Nigerian king who wanted to pay me 10 million dollars. I quickly declined when I realised paypal was involved as any complaint on his part may warrant a refund of an additional 10 million dollars.

Shame really.

Login to Me Too

Ivan124

I came across a similar situation not long ago... Well, actually three situations of the same kind.
I listed my DSLR camera on eBay and within a day someone had already bought it. I received an email that he (an alleged elderly man named Chris <removed>) is located in the UK, yet he wanted for me to send to 'a folk' of his in Nigeria. 
Address: <removed>
Nigeria
He said that he transferred the money to my PayPal account, yet I received nothing. I did not even bother to call up PayPal as I sensed that something wasn't right. Thank god I did not waste any more time and go any further with him.
I also listed the same camera on Gumtree and TradingPost. Once again, within a day I received a request for the camera on TradingPost. The next day, I received ANOTHER request, from a different person, about the camera, once again through TradingPost. Both were similar. One was located in the UK and wanted it shipped to the USA, and the other one was located in Darwin and wanted it shipped to the UK. None provided me with adequate information regarding shipping (addresses) - just said that they would organise a courier to pick the item up, yet one of them requested for me to ship using DHL which would've cost them almost $400. The names were Catty <removed> and Sue <removed>. Sue was getting pushy at the end as I was asking for her address as I sensed for it to be at least a tiny bit suspicious. 

And no, I did not receive any fake emails that were "send from PayPal" or "eBay".

So yeah, that's my little story. Hopefully no one falls into the trap of actually sending the item!

Login to Me Too

Yash97
Contributor
Contributor

Lol this guy messaged me aswell about some shoes i have for sale on ebay. 

"Thanks you very much am very happy for your fast respond i just want
to send this item to my son study in West Africa has a Birthday Gift
here is the shipping address bellow

Address:<removed>
City:<removed>
State: <removed>
post-Code:<removed>

so kindly can you get back to me with your PayPal email address for
the payment so that i can make the payment now to your PayPal account
today without any delay

waiting to your fast respond"

Then he sent the "payment" and said, look in your junk folder lmao. and because its a hotmail account i use for paypal i can view the source that the email is from, it was in my junk folder and it was from  "<removed>" but said "<removed>" which tried to hide his email. 

DO NOT SEND ANYTHING TO THIS LITTLE **bleep**

Login to Me Too

Kingly
Contributor
Contributor

Unbelievably this person is still trying out his old, rusty and crusty scam skills on people. Get a bloody day job man or fed the hens in Nigeria just **bleep** off it makes me sick! Why be a **bleep**? It's become easy to pin point these scammers. **bleep** grammar!!!! So pushy. The worst thing is he thought I was actually gonna send my iPhone to Nigeria come on. Get back to reality. Please be aware of these hungry Nigerians. These are the messages I received from the dirty **bleep**! Hello Mate, I just went through the listing of your item and would like to know if i can purchase it for an amount of £350,00 GBP plus including shipping internationally through Local Post International Royal Mail 7days Delivery. If so,i would be happy if you can end the auction for me now and send me a PayPal payment request to my email <removed> I am serios you down with the purchase of the item.i will surely get back to you.Looking forward to hearing from you. Johnny <removed> Thanks. JOHHNY <removed> yet the email name comes up as <removed>. Wtf!!!!!!!!!!!! Look how he gets sooo pushy The post office will be close 5pm your time today please help me out for the shipping now and get back to me when you done at the post office via Royal Mail ...... your response is needed Johnny His telling me what time the post office closes like I do not **bleep** know already and Infact it closes at 5.30 and like I'm actually gonna get out of my bed to post my phone to stinking Nigeria cmonnnnn Look at this crap Dear ***** ****** This email confirm that you have a pending payment from Johnny <removed> The present status of the transaction is *PENDING* the funds has been debited from the buyer's account now awaiting onward transfer to your PayPal account upon confirmation of shipment for security purpose. You are now mandated to ship the merchandise to the buyer's confirmed address and email us a proof of shipment such as shipment confirmation code/receipt reference number, this is required for shipment verification in other to transfer the funds in question to your account immediately. You have PayPal Authority 100% assurance, upon shipment confirmation, your account will be credited instantly as follow Amount:£350.00 GBP This is 100% assurance from PayPal Authority to you. IMPORTANT NOTICE: Do not email or give the buyer any shipment tracking number until you are asked to do so by PayPal Authority. Understand that we are taking this security measure to safeguard both party against the ongoing internet fraud and make PayPal a safer place for online transactions. We are highly sorry for any inconvenience caused. Thanks for your understanding. Scott <removed> LOOOOOL who would fall for that honestly and why is it in my junk you punk! Sitting behind that computer go **bleep** ur self **bleep**!!!!!! MORE Bull **bleep** so kindly end the auction now for me and packed the phone to the post office right now for the posted via Royal Mail I've had enough of these people.

Login to Me Too

coplen
New Community Member

here is another one to add.

Carrey <removed> Nigeria 23401.

Login to Me Too

Charlie_285
Contributor
Contributor

Hi I put an item on ebay 2 days ago and about 20 minutes it was sold someone by the name of evaniels and I have gotten emails from her asking me to send this item and that she wants the tracking number and so does paypal as she wants the item for her son in nigeria she's brought the item over £200 more than what I asked for she wants me to send the item to an address in nigeria Segun <removed> Nigeria 23401 Could some one tell me if this is a scam please Thanks

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

THIS IS A SCAM.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

They threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Most scams originate from Nigeria and people there cannot even own a paypal account.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.