Email Message Claimed PP Acct Locked - Needed Personal Info - SCAM?

Chandlersdad

I got an email this morning supposedly from PAYPAL saying that someone tried to access my credit card. The message claimed my Paypal account was frozen, but I could unlock it by filling out required information. 

Then there was attachment that asked me to give them every security safeguard I have, including my Social Security number. I deleted the attachment. 

IS THIS A KNOWN SCAM? 

If Paypal had a problem, I cannot envision them just sending me an attachment requiring me to give them my social security number,  mother's maiden name, birth date, etc. At the minimum, I would think Paypal would have a url in the message that would take me to this website. 

Comments?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Chandlersdad

Firstly if you get an email like that then DO NOT click on any links in that email as it may direct you to a scam site made to look like paypal and get you to give them information so they can access your account.

Secondly all you need to do is log in as you do normally and if your account has any issues then it would say so on your account and direct you to to resolution cere.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Chandlersdad

Firstly if you get an email like that then DO NOT click on any links in that email as it may direct you to a scam site made to look like paypal and get you to give them information so they can access your account.

Secondly all you need to do is log in as you do normally and if your account has any issues then it would say so on your account and direct you to to resolution cere.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

If the attacment was a .docx file it may have contained some bad action behind the scenes on your computer.

Attachments should be ignored, not downloaded or opened when from suspicious sources. 

First thing is to verify the real email address to be fake.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.