Ebay auction sold, but payment is pending, buyer wants item shipped asap...

jrdr1994
Contributor
Contributor

I sold a phone on an ebay buy it now and the buyer has zero feedback.  The payment in PP is pending, and the buyer is demanding shipment, which I won't do because I smell a scam.  Any guidance from others who have experienced similar issues?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

jrdr1994
Contributor
Contributor

Payment never cleared!  It was a scam!  I didn't send the phone and eventually had to cancel the purchase.  Never ship until payment clears your PayPal account.  Merry Christmas!  JR

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jrdr1994

Does sound like a scam, but is the payment pending IN your paypal account ie does it show in your balance under pending OR is it coming into your paypal account and is there a clearance date?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

jrdr1994
Contributor
Contributor

It shows in my Activity page as a pending payment, but not as a Completed payment.  It does not show in my balance.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jrdr1994

In that case it sounds like an echeque that can fail, is there a clearance date?

DO NOT SEND until it has cleared and is in your balance, I DOUBT IT WILL CLEAR.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

jrdr1994
Contributor
Contributor

I definitely won't ship.  I, like you, am doubtful it will clear.  In the meantime this phone can't be sold.  When am I authorized to cancel a purchase?  Is there a policy about this?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jrdr1994

Was it an international transaction by the way?

I don't think there is any actual policy on cancelling a sale, as long as when the payment clears you refund it again.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

jrdr1994
Contributor
Contributor

Miami, FL.  

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

If it is an e check,he would be told that it would take x number of days to clear,so do not ship.

if your buyer is so anxious to get the phone,why dont you ask him what source of fund did he use to pay you>

Login to Me Too

HonestBrands

This is the exact delimma I'm going thru right now. Can you tell me the result of this transaction?

iPhone sold, profile says the buyer is in France, but ship to address is in Florida and a different Ship To Name than the Payment from which is foreign.  The guy says he's going on vacation and wants it to be shipped ASAP. 

I do know that if via eCheck it takes 3-5 days to clear which is common and he explains as well. How could they really cancel the eCheck when it's already written? Wouldn't we be covered by eBay/ PayPal on these transactions? 

Login to Me Too
Solved

jrdr1994
Contributor
Contributor

Payment never cleared!  It was a scam!  I didn't send the phone and eventually had to cancel the purchase.  Never ship until payment clears your PayPal account.  Merry Christmas!  JR

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.