Dishonest seller returned the item to me.

kegeli
Contributor
Contributor

I bought a phone described as brand new from the Spanish seller on eBay. When I finally opened the parcel and inspected the phone, it turned out that the phone was used. The phone even had the screen backlight defect! When I contacted the seller, he didn't admit that he sold me the used phone. He kept insisting that the phone was new even after I had sent him the photo showing the old owner's Spanish emails. The seller's English was poor too. I opened the return case on eBay and I immediately sent back the phone to Spain. The shipping cost me about EUR 31. After some time, I checked the tracking info and the item appeared to be stuck at the customs. When I contacted the seller, he told me that he didn't receive the phone. He also told me that the post didn't have the item.

I finally opened the SNAD case on Paypal. Today I received the returned parcel because it had not been claimed and alongside came the post's official letter that the recipient was aware that the item was held by the customs and he had to contact the customs. Today Paypal notified that I have to return the item. I immediately provided the tracking number and explained in the commentary that I had already sent back the phone to the seller and that it was returned to me because the seller did not claim it. Will Paypal see my explanation? 

Login to Me Too
16 REPLIES 16

kegeli
Contributor
Contributor

I contacted the Paypal support two weeks ago and they appealed the case. I also provided the photos of the parcel with the return label on it and the official letter from the post. Today I noticed Paypal's email in my inbox sent on Tuesday, which said: ""Unfortunately, we couldn't process your appeal because we didn't receive the documentation we requested within the specified timeframe." Is Paypal joking or what? I am simply appalled that Paypal cannot bother to work on the cases properly and help scammed customers!

Login to Me Too

kegeli
Contributor
Contributor

I phoned the Paypal support in the last week and the rep told me he would appeal the case on my behalf. I uploaded the required documentation such as the photo of the returned parcel showing both the recipient's address with the tracking code and the Spanish Post's return label. I also approved certified translation of the letter proving that the recipient knew that the item was held by the customs.

Today I received the following email: "Unfortunately, we can't grant your claim appeal because we were unable to track your shipment. " Are the people working in the claims department real idiots incapable of understanding that the non-delivery was the seller's fault? They are already getting on my nerves.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@kegeli

Did you fund your paypal payment via a credit card? If so then do a chargeback directly via your card issuer.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

kegeli
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately, I do not live in the United States, but in a small European country where the banks do not offer the chargeback option.

I could not call the Paypal customer support by phone since Paypal offers me to call the number in Ireland and the work hours overlapped. The number in Ireland is not available for calling on Saturdays and Sundays. Yesterday I googled for another number, and called the US number. When I finally got a live human on the phone, I explained the situation to the operator why the non-delivery was the seller's fault and the case was appealed. I requested to speak with the claims department, but the operator said that was impossible and they only would forward my information to them.

Today I received an email from Paypal: "We need your help confirming your shipment was delivered to your seller's address. We need proof of shipping that clearly shows the address to which the package was delivered." I swear something is wrong with the brains of the claims department since they don't understand my explanation!

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@kegeli

Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?

You can send them a personal message from their facebook or twitter pages.

It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

kegeli
Contributor
Contributor

Today I received the following email again from Paypal: "Unfortunately, we can't grant your claim appeal because we were unable to track your shipment." Is there any way to contact the claims department directly? Guess I will have to sign up on Facebook like you have advised.

UPDATE: Tried to message Paypal on Facebook, but the message window notified me: "Typically replies within a day."

Login to Me Too

kegeli
Contributor
Contributor

Apparently, the folks monitoring Paypal's FB account are more attentive. Today I checked out my email inbox and I found out that I gave been refunded! Kudos to kernowlass.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.