Dishonest seller returned the item to me.

kegeli
Contributor
Contributor

I bought a phone described as brand new from the Spanish seller on eBay. When I finally opened the parcel and inspected the phone, it turned out that the phone was used. The phone even had the screen backlight defect! When I contacted the seller, he didn't admit that he sold me the used phone. He kept insisting that the phone was new even after I had sent him the photo showing the old owner's Spanish emails. The seller's English was poor too. I opened the return case on eBay and I immediately sent back the phone to Spain. The shipping cost me about EUR 31. After some time, I checked the tracking info and the item appeared to be stuck at the customs. When I contacted the seller, he told me that he didn't receive the phone. He also told me that the post didn't have the item.

I finally opened the SNAD case on Paypal. Today I received the returned parcel because it had not been claimed and alongside came the post's official letter that the recipient was aware that the item was held by the customs and he had to contact the customs. Today Paypal notified that I have to return the item. I immediately provided the tracking number and explained in the commentary that I had already sent back the phone to the seller and that it was returned to me because the seller did not claim it. Will Paypal see my explanation? 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@kegeli

Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?

You can send them a personal message from their facebook or twitter pages.

It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
16 REPLIES 16

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@kegeli

I would phone customer services to make them aware and they should then process your refund in my opinion as you have done everything asked of you.

Click on help / contact bottom of page and use the phone option.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

kegeli
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not in the US, so call from my location would not be cheap.

Do the customer support read these message boards? I have already searched the Paypal community boards for topics on SNAD and I think I have spotted some CS people.

If I contact the customer support by email, which sub-topic do I choose under Disputes: 'Buyer Complaints' or 'Respond to/Status of Buyer Dispute or Claim'?

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

PayPal Admins read the forum messages but do not offer help other than to instruct you go phone PayPal support for specific issues like this.

Time is important for this case.  Emails would take several days to even figure out the problem and a solution would not likely be possible.

So, you need to phone PayPal support if you want help.

Only you can determine if the cost of resolution is worth it.

And then in future do not make international purchase until your get a grasp of the real cost of resolutions.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Unfortuately your case of INAD would be reviewed by a robot,if it does not see your tracking status as delivered,it would close the case in seller favor.

then you will have to appeal and a person will look into  it,it could take a long time.

You should have kept the Ebay case open,as Ebay policy of seller refusing to pick up the package would void his seller protection,but now you have to wait for Paypal to decide.

Did you pay with a credit card?

if so,file a chargeback with your cc issuer,show them that he did not go to customsto claim his package,your paypal case will close and your cc issuer takes over.

call them and tell them what is the best way to proceed,you have a good chance of wining and keep the phone.

Login to Me Too

kegeli
Contributor
Contributor

I sent back the item back to the seller in November 2017. After one month, I asked the seller whether he had received the item and he told me no. Then I told him to contact his local post and the seller told me that the post didn't have it. I asked eBay to intervene because I assumed the item was lost in the seller's country. eBay put the case on hold and then closed the return case in seller's favor in early January because the item had not been delivered to the seller and allegedly there was no proof that I sent back the item. I immediately appealed the case, arguing that I would provide additional documentation proving that I had indeed sent the item to the seller and that I had no control whatsoever over the Spanish post. But eBay kept the original decision. 

I was frustrated since I had been ripped off a large amount of money and I decided to open SNAD case on Paypal in the last week. Yesterday, the parcel was returned to me because no one had claimed it and I also received an official letter from my post that the Spanish post had notified the recipient and he had to claim the item at the customs office.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

next time just remind yourself when you buy from individual,esp individual from a foreign country,you will have to return with tracking.

if you have paid with a credit card,then file chargeback with your cc issuer,otherwise nothing you can do.

Login to Me Too

kegeli
Contributor
Contributor

I am not American, so everything I buy on Ebay is bought from foreign sellers. I had already sent back the item to the seller but he didn't claim it at the customs, so it was returned to me.

Login to Me Too

kegeli
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal closed the case and the decision said that the tracking code I had provided was invalid. I don't understand why it was invalid? I can send photos to the Paypal showing the parcel with the tracking code that was returned to me. Paypal even advised me to work with the seller! I had already tried working with the seller, but it didn't work out!

Login to Me Too

kegeli
Contributor
Contributor

I contacted Paypal via Messaging and yesterday I got a message from one nice rep that Paypal can't provide the refund since I still had the item with me, but I could provide the letter from the customs and Paypal would review the case. I immediately responded that I had a letter from my country's post office explaining that the recipient had been notified about contacting the Spanish customs and I would translate it into English. I also wrote that I would send the photo of the still unopened parcel showing the recipient's address with the tracking code and the Spanish post's return label indicating "Non réclamé" (Unclaimed).

But today I got the message from another rep that the appeal was denied. What is wrong with Paypal? Can't they get one person to work consistently with the case? Why are they helping dishonest sellers to get away with the ripoff.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.