Delivered Item In Person - PayPal Refunded the Buyer for "Item Not Received"

Temp20240121an
Contributor
Contributor

I have no clue what just happened to me and how PayPal was so easy to participate in it. I sold a guy a TV on the OfferUp app. He asked me to deliver it, and I did. When I arrived, he claimed not to have enough cash, and offer to pay me through some app that I had never heard of. I asked for PayPal instead and watched him use it to pay me. I gave him the TV and left. The next day, he filed a claim with PayPal stating that the item was not received. I responded to the claim through the dispute center, and told them what had happened. As soon as I submiteed my response, PayPal refunded the buyer. It was clearly an automated system that handled the claim. Now, I am out a 46" TV and the $4.65 fee that PayPal charged for the initial payment. I tried to email the guy through his PayPal email, and it got bounced back - apparently, that is not even a valid email. What do I do?

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

These scammers know how Paypal works,no tickee no washee.

Your seller protection request you to prove delivery with an online viewable tracking number from a commercial carrier showing it has been delivered to his address in the Paypal payment notice.

he cheats,he said he has no cash,and used Paypal.

hindsigh is 20/20,you should have asked him to come to your house and pick up the set ,come with cash or no deal.  

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Your buyer was very smart, savvy, and knowledgabel about PayPal policies; your were not savvy and you severely lacked knowledge about PayPal policies.

You just go some first hand costly education about PayPal policies.

In future , CASH only for in-person sales.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

It seems to be getting worse,

remember the case of a guy who sold a used toy truckf or $900,buyer wants to return it so they each drove 35 miles and met at a coffee shop,exchanged pleasantry and buyer return the truck and seller gave him $900 cash.

then seller went home and found a notice from paypal saying $900 has been returned to the buyer?

so he has just gifted buyer 900 cash ,after driving 35 miles to meet with him and his dog?

This case,the buyer even took advantage of the seller making him deliver the 48 inches TV set,wonder if seller can file a police report? or take him to small claims court just to harrass him. 

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@DPCreations wrote:

Your buyer was very smart, savvy, and knowledgabel about PayPal policies; your were not savvy and you severely lacked knowledge about PayPal policies.

You just go some first hand costly education about PayPal policies.

In future , CASH only for in-person sales.

yeah,some of these guys spent a lot of time buying and selling on internet ,what happens,did they lose their jobs?

what do they plan to do with the TV set?

if there is a serial number,can the seller seize the set back?

there is this guy who sold a  used ice making machine to someone who cheated him using a different shipping address,but the seller managed to track down the machine,and went there with a policeman and reclaim that machine,it was sitting right in the open of a food tent .

Login to Me Too

jacobblank
Contributor
Contributor

If your gonna get a negative balance close the account and just move on and never use paypal again - paypal are scammers

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@jacobblank wrote:

If your gonna get a negative balance close the account and just move on and never use paypal again - paypal are scammers

paypal wil turn the negative over to collector.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.