Damaged goods delivered

Southlodger1
Contributor
Contributor

I ordered a cooker from ebay. It was delivered at the agreed time, but had suffered some damage in transit. The damage isn`t huge, but it`s damaged goods, nevertheless. As the damage wasn`t huge and I had contacted the vendor to ask for his advice, he recommended accepting the item from the carrier and he would come down in the next few days and replace the damaged item.

However the vendor is quite a long way from where I live, so I have no guarantee that he will honour a replacement. As the PayPal payment has not yet gone out, can I place a temporary hold on payment until the vendor has effected the necessary repairs?

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You have no authority to  place a hold on payment.

What was the item?

What was the shipper?

Did you report damage to the shipper, assuming it was delivered in person?

If a shipping company, not USPS, you need to document the damage with the shippign company.  If the delivery person is present, it might have been best to refuse delviery.  Now you're stuck

First you need to contact the seller and ask for an immemdiate resolution.  It's likely that the seller will not fix as the seller knows PayPal policies for buyer and seller protection and you seem to lack that knowledge.

So the seller won't fix it, now you file a dispute with PayPal for not as described.  Suppose you win; you will then have to pay return shipping with tracking in order to get a refund.  You lose the return shipping cost.  So, you decide to not return due to cost.  You're stuck; seller knew this.

If you paid by credit card (aways strongly recommended) you could file a dispute there.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Since this is an Ebay transaction,you have 30 days to file a dispute of item not as described,get EBay involved and it will give you a return shipping label to return the item,postage cost will then be charged to the seller Ebay account.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

how can the payment has not yet gone out?

Do you mean it has been withheld from the seller?

is he a new seller?

Login to Me Too

Southlodger1
Contributor
Contributor

No payment has been made, although I thought the PayPal arranegemnt was pay after delivery. I`ll just have to trust that the vendor honours his commitment to come to my place and replace the damnaged item.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

PAD-Paypal paid seller when you placed the  order,14 days later,Paypal accessed your bank account to debit the purchase amount,

Seller has been paid,it is YOU who have not paid Paypal yet.

Login to Me Too

Southlodger1
Contributor
Contributor

This is wandering off the point of my original question, but my understanding is better now.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.