Checking Account Use?

DustyBunny

I'm worried that someone can use the info from the face of one of my checks online to make an unauthorized payment/purchase. My bank info is connected with my paypal account - would that trigger an alert if they tried to pay someone else online with my bank info?

Sorry but i'm a geezer who doesn't understand this method yet.  Tech is moving so fast! Thanks for any input

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Account numbers and routing numbers have been on checks for a very long time.  Those numbers have always been available to anyone with check.  Banks have security systems in place to prevent fraudulent use.  How do you think someone would try to use that information on PayPal?

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

yes,there can be fraud by giving away your bank name,bank routing number,account number and your name on the account.

In some countries,crooks can take your check to a local printer who can print checks with or without magnetic ink ,then it comes to internet and buy thing using a check drawn on your bank account.

If you have enough moeny in the account and dont check the account until month end to reconcile the account,you wont know until then.

But in recent years,it comes with a twist,they found a business ,its bank,bank routing number and account number and know someone who can print a corporate check and send it to you say for a nice piece of jewelry you are selling.

it then say his accountant makes a mistake and sent you too much money,the t oo much is meant for another seller,so would you be kind to deposit this chck and remit the difference in postal or money order to the other seller,here is his address,he is waiting.

you deposit this check,buy a postal order for the other seller,ship the jewelry and then a month later,the company found out and raise **bleep**.

you lost the jewelry,you lost the money by buying the postal order,and you get a black eye from your bank.

It has happened to me twice,one came from Canada,it was delivered by DHL express ,it looks impresive,I found the company online ,it has a website selling printing material and gadgets,it also has a page for overseas buyers to wire money to their bank,giving their bank name,routing number and account number.

The check looks nice,it has a gold seal,signature of the treasurer and name of the bank etc,it came on a holiday where that bank was closed,but my bank was open and when i showed them the check,they said it looks real,butif it turns out to be fraud,they may cancel my account and never want to do business with me again.

Then I call that company,it turns out they are rather naive,who would boradcast such data for every one to see,but they ask me to send everything to them and I did.

then 2 weeks later,a lady from N Dakota wants an item and she sent me a check from NJ ,bearing return address of another person and by then I know better,I took it to Chase and they said it is fraud and they kept the check and the envelope with the return address where teh check was mailed.

see there are folks who print these checks with a machine at home,they can do magnetic ink,they have stock paper,all you provide is stolen bank data and tehy will print a nice check for you for a fee.

they will be caught,FBI will come after them.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.