Chargeback - buyer did not authorize this purchase

Duro
Contributor
Contributor

Buyer sent rude email minutes after the purchase regarding shipping costs (which are $2.5). 3 weeks later, right at the time his order is suppose to arrive he filed 2 chargeback claims with this credit card company. Reason for the claims is unauthorized purchase. I do not have tracking because he did not pay for tracking nor asked for it. Since he is claiming that it was unauthorized purchase can the email he sent to me just minutes after purchase go into my favor? If he did not authorize the payment how come he is complaining about the shipping costs? I sent that email to the paypal resolution center. Can that email help my case since I don`t have tracking? 012.jpg

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Duro

A chargeback (as opposed to a paypal dispute), is done via the buyers credit card company directly and that c.c. company make any decisions and not Paypal.

If the c.c. company find in favour of their client then they are refund and you lose your payment + the credit card companies processing fee.

However you would not lose out either as long as you met ALL the requirements of seller protection, unfortunately as you did not send trackable you lost that protection. Tracking is for your benefit and not the buyers. A buyer will always choose the cheapest option if you give them that choice as its you that would lose out if the item went missing and not them so its not in their interest to pay extra.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Duro
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass

thanks for the reply.

I contacted buyer and he claims he has no idea credit card company filed a claim for unauthorized purchase.  Since buyer is aware that it is not a problematic situation I asked him to contact his credit card company in order to cancel the claim and if he wants refund he should simply go to paypal and file a request and I will refund him.

The thing is that for $2.5 and $5 purchase I would have to pay $40 chargeback fees. Now what I would like to know is do I still pay for chargeback fees even if the buyer calls c.c. company and cancels the claim?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Duro

I wouldn't have thought so, never heard that happening for a cancelled claim.

However I have nothing to do with Paypal so all I can do is give you my opinion and advice only.

If you want a defo yes or no your best bet is to give c.s. a call.

Good luck.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Duro
Contributor
Contributor

update...

Buyer was not aware that his c.c. company filed claims on his behalf. When purchase was made I received (on my paypal account) normal payment but apparently c.c. company doubled the amount of each purchase in their own system and they wanted me to return the money I didn`t receive in the first place. I almost got charged for a computer glitch that has nothing to do with me. Buyer canceled the chargeback claim and paypal did not charge me anything for it.

I find it disturbing that a c.c company or bank can do whatever they want in behalf of the clients without informing them.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.