Chargeback Help

EliasK
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I was recently hit by a chargeback from a buyer. He paid through Friends and Family, and I totally wasn't expecting the dispute. The chargeback is 100% false, and is categorized as unauthorized. I was never given a chance to respond, and the dispute is now under review by PayPal. With the money on hold, I can't really do anything at the moment but just sit and wait. Is it worth calling PayPal Support? Or can I just not really do anything at the moment.

Thanks,

Elias

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@EliasK

Firstly its against paypal rules to sell and accept a friends / family payment and can lead to your paypal account being suspended.

Sellers use it in the hope that it will stop buyers doing a paypal dispute, which it does.

However it does not stop them doing a chargeback via their card issuer if that was how they funded that paypal payment.

And as you accepted a friends / family payment then you lost your seller protection which you would have had in the event of a chargeback if you had accepted a goods / services paypal payment instead.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

AkshayP
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Elias,

Unfortunately, it does look like you will have to sit tight while PayPal reviews your account. However, when it comes to the actual chargeback itself there are several ways to dispute the actual chargeback. This is especially when the claim is false which you are quite confident in. If you are still looking for a solution or struggling with chargebacks, go ahead and PM me or respond in the thread and I can give you some ideas or different options that you can try.

Best,

AkshayP

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@AkshayP

Nope there is not IF the payment was made using the friends / family option.

As its against paypal rules to accept payments using this method then you can't dispute it as there is NO seller protection if you accepted that type of payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

EliasK
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass

Thank you for the help. The issue has since been resolved.

I didn't previously know that it wasn't allowed, and just followed along with it.

Will be a lot more careful in the future!

Best regards,

Elias

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@EliasK

Glad its sorted.  Smiley Happy

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.