Charge back for recurring payments

HH001
New Community Member

Kindly advise me how to prevent this in future – our company sells online use of programs and customers have the option to buy recurring or once-off subscriptions.

In this case the customer bought a recurring subscription and requested 2 month’s refund after 3 months passed.  The CC Company ruled in favor of the buyer – the buyer submitted the she did not approve the payments.

However, in the purchasing process the buyer must choose the recurring subscription and confirm the selection and receives email confirmation that it is a monthly recurring subscription. In my view that constitutes approval.

And she can also cancel the subscription with immediate effect in various ways.

The issue is all about recurring payments – if customers can cancel and claim refunds for recurring payments as and when they wish, then the recurring payment option is very risky.

It will be helpful if anybody can provide me with the credit card issuer rules re refunds and cancellation. Or other advice how to manage this risk.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@HH001

In the event of a chargeback the card company makes all the decisions and it has nothing to do with paypal.

However just because the card company may find in favour of their client should not stop you from taking legal action against the client to get the money back IF that is an option available in your country.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.