Cancellation prior to shipping

tkit510
Contributor
Contributor

Hope I can get some advice.  I ordered some merchandise and paid through PayPal.  I have since learned that this site has been known to ship sub-standard quality items. Nothing like what they describe.  They have also been known to not ever ship the items ordered.  I thought I would go ahead and cancel prior to them shipping, which their website does show that they allow cancellation's of orders.  I requested this and their email back to me did not even mention my cancellation.  They totally disregarded the cancellation request.  They instead explained to me that the item had passed inspection and should be in processing to be shipped and would be shipped in the next 2 to 3 days.  This company is in China and if I am to receive the item it would cost more money to ship back and from what I have learned from several reviews that they still refuse to give credit back even at that time.  Any suggestions??  I usually do all my research on the companies I deal with.  This one had numerous reviews on their site but I assume they are mostly fradulant after reading other independent reviews.  This will be the last out of country purchase I ever make.  As this will be my first time getting scammed in the last 6 or 7 years of shopping online.

Just wondering if anyone knows if PayPal has ever been able to dispute prior to item being shipped. 

Thank you for any suggestions.

Login to Me Too
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solved

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

This is a user forum, not PayPal customer service.  Furthermore, issues with a specific buyer must be handled with that buyer; it's not a PayPal issue unless you file a dispute.

Any cancellation or refund must be conducted directly with the seller.  A seller is not obligated to cancel an order when you request such cancellation.  That's why it is so important investigate sellers before making a purchase; one the best methods is to have various conversations with the seller before making the purchase.  This way you can judge the responsiveness of the seller.  Once you make the purchase it's too late.

Purchasing from any seller, domestic or international, can go smoothly or can go very badly.

International returns are very expensive and that needs to be considered with the purchase.  It's higher risk which you accept when you confirm the purchase.

You just made the purchase; there is no reason to suspect a scam.  Perhaps poor judgement on your part, but not a scam.

If the item doesn't arrive or the item is not as described, just file a dispute.  As a last resort file a dispute with your credit card bank; you have better protection there.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
Solved

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

I've purchased from 2 different companies in China and 1 in Czech Republic and have not had any problems.  A lot depends on the company and their webiste.   I always pay for expedited shipping--2 days DHL from China.  How a company ships will tell a lot about the company.

When interested in a specific international company, just ask for information, even here, before making the purchase.

Login to Me Too
Solved

tkit510
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you so much for the link. I really do appreciate the help.

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8
Solved

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

This is a user forum, not PayPal customer service.  Furthermore, issues with a specific buyer must be handled with that buyer; it's not a PayPal issue unless you file a dispute.

Any cancellation or refund must be conducted directly with the seller.  A seller is not obligated to cancel an order when you request such cancellation.  That's why it is so important investigate sellers before making a purchase; one the best methods is to have various conversations with the seller before making the purchase.  This way you can judge the responsiveness of the seller.  Once you make the purchase it's too late.

Purchasing from any seller, domestic or international, can go smoothly or can go very badly.

International returns are very expensive and that needs to be considered with the purchase.  It's higher risk which you accept when you confirm the purchase.

You just made the purchase; there is no reason to suspect a scam.  Perhaps poor judgement on your part, but not a scam.

If the item doesn't arrive or the item is not as described, just file a dispute.  As a last resort file a dispute with your credit card bank; you have better protection there.

Login to Me Too

tkit510
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you. I did file a dispute with PayPal. I usually do so much more research. I have dealt with the seller and like I said they refuse to acknowledge my request of cancellation of the order. On their policy it states you can cancel with a 25% charge for restocking fee. I do not have a problem with this. Guess I have just lost my money. Lesson learned I suppose. Not to buy overseas since they do not operate by the same regulations. Thank you and appreciate your response.
Login to Me Too
Solved

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

I've purchased from 2 different companies in China and 1 in Czech Republic and have not had any problems.  A lot depends on the company and their webiste.   I always pay for expedited shipping--2 days DHL from China.  How a company ships will tell a lot about the company.

When interested in a specific international company, just ask for information, even here, before making the purchase.

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@tkit510 wrote:
Thank you. I did file a dispute with PayPal. I usually do so much more research. I have dealt with the seller and like I said they refuse to acknowledge my request of cancellation of the order. On their policy it states you can cancel with a 25% charge for restocking fee. I do not have a problem with this. Guess I have just lost my money. Lesson learned I suppose. Not to buy overseas since they do not operate by the same regulations. Thank you and appreciate your response.

how can you file a dispute when the seller has not shipped the item?

Login to Me Too

tkit510
Contributor
Contributor
I did file a dispute but I was under the assumption that when I used PayPal Credit they were like most creditors and would dispute the payment for me since they were not honoring my request to cancel. I assumed incorrectly. I also posted on the wrong board and my apologies for that.
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You posted in the correct board; at least I thought so.

As you learned PayPal Credit only offers the same protection as PayPal as it is part of the PayPal group.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Here's more info re: disputes w/ PP Credit: https://www.paypal.com/selfhelp/article/FAQ2834/17

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too
Solved

tkit510
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you so much for the link. I really do appreciate the help.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.