Can you get dispute payment done through Friends & Family

Nevit_
Contributor
Contributor
Last week my online “friend” was looking for some money that I could loan him for a forums license, he said after Christmas he would send me more than the amount I loaned him. So I send him the money through PayPal Friends and Family (not knowing that you can’t dispute the payments). So Christmas passes and I go to message him and an error message comes up. I know that this message means that he blocked me. So I got to PayPal and notice I can’t dispute the money I sent him. So I contact PayPal via email. I get an automated response of no help for my issue, as expected. During this time I get back into contact with my “friend” and he tells me that his dad deactivated his PayPal and blocked PayPal from being visited on his WiFi. Here are my questions: * Is there a way to tell if an account was deleted? * I would like to know, is there any way I can get this money back? * What happens to funds in your balance once an account is deleted? If you know the answer to any of these please let me know. And please don’t just talk about how stupid I am for lending someone money online, as he was reliable for giving money back in the past. Thank you in advance.
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Paypal never delete accounts,this is how they keep track of mischiefers coming back with different ID.

IF an account is restricted,after 180 days,PAYPAL will return the money to the account holder.

you cannot dispute freund and family payment,it is considered a cash gift,file chargeback if you have used a credit card

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Nevit_

A “gift” (or personal payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.
On the other hand, as it is a “personal” payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged and that is why you can't open a dispute.

Also no one can deactivate or close a paypal account if it still has funds in the balance (only paypal can limit accounts with funds in them).
Your only hope is if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will help you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.