Can't figure out. Scam or not?

ETDK
New Community Member

Please respond right away. We really need to sell this rarely used adjustable bed. We have no room for it.

The same person has been emailing me about an adjustable bed I'm selling, on Craigslist.

In every email he's asked me to send him my final price. Every email back I respond with the list price.

I have asked for an offer. He replyed with an offer $50 over my asking price, saying he realized others may be competing for it.

At first he wanted to send me a check in advance and arrange delivery after I confirmed the check had cashed.

He repeatedly tells me he can't come in person because he works all the time. He will arrange to have someone pick it up.

I finally said I wanted him to use Paypal for payment, which he agreed to.

I'm so up in the air trying to figure out how he would be scamming me if I was paid up front, using Paypal.

The last email, sent up a little red flag to me. He thanked me for the photos and said "that helped," but I didn't send him any photos.

My original listing, more than a year ago, had photos but I can't find them on Craigslist.

Thanks,

Elizabeth

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ETDK

How fast you get a response is dependent on if we have other things to do this time of year like Christmas shopping etc and if we decide to log in.

However to answer your query paypal is the LAST payment method i would use if i was selling an item that was to be delivered personally OR collected by the buyer.

This is because you have NO seller protection UNLESS you can provide a tracking number that proves delivery of the item to the buyer and if items are collected you can't provide one. Personally i would have gone with the cheque and waited for it to clear before allowing collection.

There is a paypal scam where the scammer sends a 'fake' paypal email that says your buyer has paid + shipping but the funds are only released when you have paid the shipping agent via moneygram or western union. .........they don't want the item just that payment. However as it was you that suggested Paypal and not your buyer its unlikely to be the case.

I would tell him to do a direct bank transfer into your bank account and once its cleared let him pick up the item.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.